Paige

Golden Knights Histroy Help

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out with some GK history? I'm doing a speach for my aviation class and was wondering if anyone had any cool facts or stories they would not mind me using in the presentation? I want to make things fun and lively for them, most of the other presentations will be pretty booring. Be as comical or serious with the facts or stories, anything is appreciated!

I appreciate the time and help!
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

yes...but its better left untold. When I think of how the whole game played out, it would have made major headlines across Canada and the USA. I can laugh at what happened now, and how we beat the American General ....but it wasnt funny at the time.

Bill Cole D-41

MUCH! Ive been thinking about it, and between laughing and serious thought, its better left alone, even though it was about 30 years ago. I feel it would not reflect well on the Knights, and I have no desire to show disrepect to them. They were then, and Im sure they are now great guys.

Bill Cole

They were then, and Im sure they are now great guys.

Got to agree with you there!

I've worked with them many, many times over the years...
And always a wonderful bunch of talented guys!

They sure do seem to be getting YOUNGER though!!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If I remember right so don't quote me on anything. The US Army Sport Parachute team now known as the Golden Knights was formed around 1959 By Sgt Dick Fortenberry. The idea was to recruit civilian sport parachutists into the army and give them every thing they needed to train and compete at the World Parachuting Championships to be held in August 1960 at Sophia, Bulgaria.

I had aready tried that link and it just sends me to another search engine, saying that address could not be found. Does it work for everyone else?

I have just tried the link and it works fine. It may be that you need Macromedia's Flash player installed on your system.

The site's home page opens with an aircraft flyby accompanied by sound.

Edited to add the following: (The full text from the above site's history page)

Performing precision aerial maneuvers while falling to earth at speeds reaching 120 miles per hour, then landing dead center on target is the trademark of the United States Army Parachute Team, the "Golden Knights."

Now in their 43rd year of entertaining both young and old with their amazing aerial skills, the men and women that make up the "Golden Knights" continue to show audiences around the world why they are considered the world's best parachute team.

Stationed at the "Home of the Airborne," Fort Bragg, North Carolina, the 90 soldiers that make up the "Golden Knights"come from many diverse backgrounds and have been trained in one of the 200 military occupational specialties the Army offers.

These fine soldiers can trace their current positions back to 1959, when Brig. Gen. Joseph Stillwell, then Chief of Staff of XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg, formed the Strategic Army Corps Parachute Team. On June 1, 1961, the Army officially recognized, redesigned and activated the team as the United States Army Parachute Team.

One year later, the Team officially adopted the nickname "Golden Knights" because of their winning record of gold medals and conquest of the skies.

During the 43 years since its inception, the Team's mission has remained the same: (1) To perform live aerial demonstrations for the public and in promotion of the Army's public relations and recruitment efforts; (2) to compete in national and international parachuting competitions; and (3) to test and evaluate new parachuting equipment and techniques for improved operation and safety.

The exceptional soldiers carrying out this mission are divided into six groups: The Black and Gold Demonstration Teams, the Formation Skydiving Team, the Style and Accuracy Team, an aviation section and a headquarters section.

The Black and Gold Demonstration Teams spend more than 230 days a year entertaining more than 12 million people at air shows and special events around the country and the world. The teams have performed more than 8,500 live aerial demonstrations in all 50 states and 47 countries, earning them the title of the "Army's Goodwill Ambassadors to the World."

Just as incredible as the demonstration teams are the two parachute competition teams: The Formation Skydiving Team and the Style and Accuracy Team. The teams tour the world competing in parachuting competitions and amazing the parachuting world with their record of 408 national champions, 65 world champions, and 14 national and six world team titles in formation skydiving.

In addition to those accomplishments, they also claim the only six-time world champion parachutist in formation skydiving and the only three consecutive time national champion parachutist in style and accuracy parachuting. These impressive feats have made them not only the most-winning U.S. Department of Defense sports team, but also the most-winning parachute team in the world

Helping support these incredible demonstrators and competitors are the Team's aviation and headquarters sections. The aviation section consists of six fixed-wing aircraft and a team of highly experienced pilots and crewmembers that make sure the parachutist make it into the air safety and quickly. The headquarters section also has a highly skilled team of soldiers and civilians working on the administration, budget, media relations, operations, parachute maintenance and supply concerns of the Team.

Before earning the chance to jump with the Team, each member had to make a different kind of jump by deciding to join the Army. Each Team member is a soldier first and is trained in one of the 200 occupations the Army offers. Some wanted to serve their country or maybe see the world, while others wanted to take advantage of the financial bonuses the Army offered to them, such as up to $50,000 for college, up to $65,000 to repay college loans or up to $12,000 for enlisting in selected military occupations.

For 43 years, the Team's superior performances, winning record and exemplary conduct have helped rekindle and sustain a feeling of pride in the hearts of many Americans. The Team's faces may have changed, but every "Golden Knight's" dedication to the Army and the American public has and will continue to remain steadfast well into the 21st century.

Hi Jim,

An orginal member of the Army Golden Knights is Jerry Bourquin D-25. He's 70, still jumping and an S&NTA in the Elsionre area. His e-mail is [email protected] . He was one of the first to bring a Paracommander to the US from France. He would be the best one to get accurate history of the GoldenKnights
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

Hi Jim,

An orginal member of the Army Golden Knights is Jerry Bourquin D-25. He's 70, still jumping and an S&NTA in the Elsionre area. His e-mail is [email protected] . He was one of the first to bring a Paracommander to the US from France. He would be the best one to get accurate history of the GoldenKnights

Couple of corrections Tony-

He's D22!! B|

And I haven't been able to get through to Mr.B
at that address for a while now?
Any ideas??

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You are right Jim- D-22 . I get returns on his email from time to time. I saw him last month at Elsinore and he thanked me for copying him in on emails.
His latest phone number I have was (909) 698-5058.
If you get the chance give him a call. I am sure he would be happy to hear from you.

Tony
Tony Brogdon
D-12855