evilivan

Reserve drill for old round kit

What were the reserve drills for old round kit? I'm looking for something that compares with the "look, locate, peel, punch, pull" type drills we use now...

Any help appreciated....

Ivan
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

I assume you mean for a conventional rig.

Feet and knees together, bend forward at waist, look at cutaway mechanism, grasp cutaway mechanism(s), look at reserve handle, activate cutaway mechanism, pull reserve handle and throw it away. If there is a pilot chute on reserve, then punch the container to help it open. if there is no pilot chute on reserve then: grasp the entire reserve canopy, throw it ...

Something like that anyway.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I used to teach: "Tuck, cutaway, pull, punch."

The airborne tuck puts you in a back-to-earth position, better for chest-mount deployment. Cutaway was a reasonable option for R-3 equipped rigs, and some folks thought it worked okay for shot-and-a-halves, too. Pull is self-explanatory. Punch: sometimes the reserve container would stay closed after the ripcord was pulled, so after pulling the ripcord with your right hand, it helped if you punched the reserve container with the left.

I don't recall similar drills for folks who didn't believe in cutaways. If you had a partial malfunction, the procedure was to open the reserve container, pull out as much canopy and line as you could, and hand-deploy it by throwing it down and in the direction of spin.

So are you planning a nostalgia jump soon?

Mark

That's pretty much it for a cut away.

If the reserve had a pilot chute the punch part was not usually necessary as it was long gone before you got to it.

The throwout for a partial was effective. 18 reserve rides 16 throwouts, 2 totals, no cutaways. (until after the reserve was deployed)
GW685,D3888,C5052,SCS843

I actually did one a few years ago, but I seem to remember the reserve drills being: "Here is your reserve, try not to use it." :P

Thanks for the info - I need it for a whuffo friend of mine.

Ivan
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Feet and knees together, bend forward at waist, look at cutaway mechanism, grasp cutaway mechanism(s), look at reserve handle, activate cutaway mechanism, pull reserve handle and throw it away.

Just to add...

If the cut away system is "Capewells"
Use you left hand / arm to try to cover the
open hardware.

Lessening the chance of a hang up in regard to
the deploying reserve.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

quote:Use you left hand / arm to try to cover the
open hardware.

I think this is one of the reasons some went to a center pull reserve as your arm would automatically cover the capewells, the other was to protect it from static lines when putting out students.
GW685,D3888,C5052,SCS843

Could be...

Of course the Center Pull was instrumental in many
instances of 'instant dental work' when the
Steven's system went into use...B|

I still have an old 'Jerry Bird' belly wart,
that had no ripcord
at all...! :o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In reference to dental work....

Reminds me of one of my early throwouts.
The main was spinning pretty good till I pulled the toggle down and the spin slowed. I put the toggle in my mouth while I threw out the reserve. After the reserve inflated I cutaway the main , only forgetting I still had the toggle in my mouth. Like to took my head off when it left.:D
GW685,D3888,C5052,SCS843

"Feet and knees together, bend forward at waist, look at cutaway mechanism, grasp cutaway mechanism(s), look at reserve handle, activate cutaway mechanism, pull reserve handle and throw it away. If there is a pilot chute on reserve, then punch the container to help it open. if there is no pilot chute on reserve then: grasp the entire reserve canopy, throw it ... "

you forgot thow it in the direction of the spin, if any ;)

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

I am herewith advising each jumper to follow his/her instructors directions.

However, I would like to tell you a story about what happened back in the 1970s in Ohio. I was jumping almost every weekend at Parkman, and at one point there was a serious discussion about how to deploy your reserve when under a partial mafunction. It seemed everyone had their own idea, and no one could convince them they were wrong.

My belief has always been and still is...if it so much as hiccups...chop it and get the reserve out.

There was 3 guys from one family jumping at Parkman. Mike, Gary and Bobby Paget. At least one of them had taken part in the lively discussion about reserves under a partial. Nothing seemed to be resolved, and soon a load of jumper was on its way to altitude. The usual horsin around/relative work followed, and canopies flew back and landed in the grassy packing area.

It must have been almost an hour later when someone had noticed that Bobby Paget (the youngest of the three brothers) hadnt been seen.

In fact, no one had seen him since that load had landed.

A search party got underway, and sure enough....Bobby had a partial mafunction, and tried to throw out his reserve without a cutaway. They found his body with both chutes in a tangled mess.

I liked the Paget boys, all good jumpers, all great guys.

Like I said earlier, follow your instructors directions, but as for me, I'll cutaway every time and then get the small rag out.

Bill Cole D-41

On jump #51, a thirty second RW delay, I pulled and looked over my right shoulder to watch the pilot chute go. I had my shoulder dipped so severely that my 28' got all balled up in a knot. I had too few jumps to jump a PC so hadn't had the cutaway training that went along with that. I instinctively knew that to fire my reserve off into that fast falling mess would be disasterous. At an estimated 2000' I cut away on double shots (uncover, squeeze/pull) and went for the reserve. Now that I had an empty container it flopped all the way over to my right side to where I had no pull strength. I kept struggling and pulling and tumbling with the effort until I got a glimpse of the ground. I finally grabbed the reserve container with my left hand and pulled with the right and got it open. I then had to grab the fabric and pitch it as quickly as possible. Unbeknownst to me people on the DZ were turning away to avoid seeing me "go-in". I got line stretch and put footprintss on the top of my Bell helmet then had about 15 seconds under the reserve, an unmodified, 24" flat TWILL. Oh yeah there were high tension lines that I had to slip over too.

It was one of the few times I have experienced everything in intensely slow motion. Every sound, sensation, the metalic taste in my mouth and tingling behind my jaw are as real today as thirty years ago. Gotta figure I was about 2 seconds from that years fatality list.

Haven't had to cutaway since! Shoulda once but that's another story...

jon

I actually did one a few years ago, but I seem to remember the reserve drills being: "Here is your reserve, try not to use it." :P

Thanks for the info - I need it for a whuffo friend of mine.

Ivan

LOL that happened to me too when I did an intentional cutaway with my normal rig and I had an extra harness with a belly round underneath.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I made a slight mistake: The Paget boys were Mike (oldest) John (not Gary) and Bobby (youngest)

I have never met a man as "hard" as Mike Paget. He is the only guy Ive ever known that took a running dive into the deep end of a swimming pool at night, only to find out there wasnt any water in it. He picked himself up, brushed himself off, and said,
" Damn...thats hard water".

edited for spelling

I was taught the following drill when I did my first jump on a static line round 10 years ago:

LOOK

REACH [left hand to top of front mount reserve, right hand to red handle]

PULL [pull handle]

PUNCH [both hands punch side of reserve container]

My Dad told me that “in his day” (mid-late ‘60s) they were taught to throw the reserve out – like a rugby ball – as well.

Vicki