bertusgeert

Funny Stories

While making his 4th (dummy ripcord pull) static line jump on military surplus gear in 1979 at Seagoville Texas, David Armstrong's brother (sorry David, his name escapes me but I'll call him Mark) ended up with two canopies out. Now, anybody that knows David knows that he is deaf and anybody that knows knows Mark knows that he is equally as deaf. Well, the jumpmaster that had worked with Mark since his ground school (had to use a sign interpreter to do the ground school) DUH, ended up flying around Mark's two round canopies yelling and we could hear it very clearly from the ground, at the top of his lungs, repeatedly, all the way to the ground but to no avail to Mark, "CUT AWAY"!!! :S. Luckly, Mark walked away from the incident and everyone made sure the above mentioned instructor was duly shamed. :D[:/]
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

That's great! I used to jump with him when he was just starting, at Ft. Carson Colorado. We went on one helleva 'skydiving road trip' once to the Albuquerque NM area. It was him, Gary Baker, Corky Connery and me. When we weren't jumping I don't think we had a sober moment. We were jumping out in the desert south of the city and the wind was ripping. There was a windmill out there with blades spinning like crazy. Your Dad stared at this windmil for a long while then finally sez "Well, if they'd turn off that damned fan it wouldn't be so windy!"

Tell him Frank Halcromb said "Hi"

Did a demo into the opening of a new shopping mall. As the circus was in town, the elephants were invited to attend and spent an hour or so wandering around the parking lot before we jumped in. Yep, you got it. Stomped a pile of jumbo crud on landing and spent the next hour wandering around the new mall with a warm, smelly foot.

Used to wear a "Banzai!" bandanna with a big red rising sun and a load of inspirational stuff for kamikaze pilots written on it. Went low on a 16 way wearing it one day, and having no way to get back up (Yeah, I was THAT low), rolled onto my back and watched the formation from below. As we passed 7000' odd, the bandanna came off and went through the centre of the formation. One particularly squirrelly individual decided it was my pilot chute and backpedalled out of there, clawing madly for his own pilot chute. The chain reaction that followed was watched in amazement by myself as I lay on my back below them. Took it down to 2500' and deployed as usual and was already back in the clubhouse arranging for a beer truck when they landed.B|

Doing a downplane one afternoon, the other guy, DK, got a grip on my foot and removed my sneaker before letting it drop. Thinking I'd lost it we got back to the clubhouse with me limping along in one sneaker to be met by the proud and pretty angry owner of a new Honda Goldwing waving my sneaker. It appears my footwear missed his bike by about an inch as it pigged in next to the clubhouse. Same bike owner was later ambushed by a friend who shoved a Thunderflash into his barbecue and almost caused his heavily pregnant wife to give birth right there. Same guy stopped at a pedestrian crossing to admire the *ahem*, view and forgot to deploy a foot. The view got a good laugh as he slowly toppled over and ended up pinned beneath his bike while having his leg slowly fried. ;)

Hmmm...5 1/2 year old post. Wonder if anybody still reads these.

That's a nicely embellished version of that story, from what I understood from an eyewitness -- another student I used to jump with named Eric Luong. As I understood it, Bobby (yes, it was Potter) popped Tom in the snoot, but I didn't hear about the fight going much further than that. My comment was that I'd have sure paid some money to see it! LOL.

True, Bobby had refused to put one or more students out because it was too dark. Anybody who's ever known him wouldn't be surprised at that! Whadda mother hen! Anyway, according to what I was told, Tom said, "Then, get outta my airplane!" So, Bobby did just that.

He was my JM. Loved that guy. Anybody know if he's still around?

It appears my footwear missed his bike by about an inch as it pigged in next to the clubhouse. Same bike owner was later ambushed by a friend who shoved a Thunderflash into his barbecue and almost caused his heavily pregnant wife to give birth right there. Same guy stopped at a pedestrian crossing to admire the *ahem*, view and forgot to deploy a foot. The view got a good laugh as he slowly toppled over and ended up pinned beneath his bike while having his leg slowly fried.

You ever wonder why skydivers have a bad reputation is most towns where there is a DZ?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals