bertusgeert

Funny Stories

He wrote a page in my logbook (in Japanese) which I think is his side of it but I haven't had it translated yet.
Or maybe he just said I was an idiot.

I'm sure you can guess what my topic was that evening.;)

Scan your logbook and put it up... I could get it translated for you.
-Bryce

Years ago, I wore an Ankh on a silver chain.I was doing delayed freefall student jumps and at the time,we used the old ripcord deployed chutes.We were jumping paracommanders then.
When I pulled, I stuffed the rip cord into my jumpsuit and felt the chain break and the Ankh and chain fell down the leg of my jumpsuit and I watched it bounce off my boot and fall toward the ground 2500 feet below.I knew I would never see it again.About 10 minutes after I landed someone came up to me with it in their hand and asked me if I had dropped it.

Just another quick one that happened soon after I started jumping.

I had radio assist for my first two landings (which I did pretty much as I was told), and on the third jump, my JM's decided to use the radio only if I screw up. So as soon as I find myself under canopy, I do my checks and turn towards the Landing Area, which was a long ways away. . I see my JM's landing off into the distance, and one of them getting the radio out.

Bert, if you can hear me, do a left 180!
So i turn all the way away from the DZ, and heard nothing for a few seconds, after which I decided to turn to the DZ again. Soon After...BERT! IF YOU CAN HEAR ME, DO A LEFT 180! So there I go again, wasting altitude, flying AWAY from the DZ. So this continues for a few minutes, me turning to go to my "play" area, and set up for landing, and him telling me to turn if I can hear him. I was very confused as to where he wanted me to go, he was telling me everything different from what I had learned in groundschool.
So i decided to do a nice landing as close to the DZ as possible, on the other side of the airport!

A few minutes later the truck shows up, with my JM laughing behind the wheel. Turns out that he was looking at all the canopies, didnt realize that there were two students on the load, and continued to talk to who he though was me, but was in reality the other student!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

(note to Ivan: this is a; Funny, OLD, SKYDIVING, story...) (w/moral)

Takes place in mid-west, I'm gonna say..early-80s...

(Preface: In my mis-spent youth I had a history of, shall we say, NOT getting along with law enforcement officers)

Sooo.. Probably mid to late-mornin I roll into the DZ,
hot to make a load, & you guessed it... the only
jumpers not manifested are 3 cops; two patrolmen, and a guy from the organized crime squad.
%#*!...
Oh what the hell...
(I'm so horny for a jump, I'd jump with a blind water buffalo)
Put me down!...we dirt dive & head for the Cessna...
(I'm think'n I'm pretty slick grabbing last out for a little extra swoop time) so I jump in the back...

It's about 90-100 degrees and the pilot won't move the plane until the door is closed. When I ask if he could please open the window, he replies, no - it's against the regs.
Sooo...we finally get off the ground, and just when
things are starting to cool off a little...of course...
patrolman 'A' farts...

Now, this is NOT your average, make your eyes water, gag, & puke fart,..
this thing made my hair fall out!...

Soo.. there I am (wondering if I could squeeze out the baggage door if I took my rig off), the pilot won't open the window, & I can't get to it...
and these asshats are laughing their their cajones off!
Right there & then, I swore, these %#!*#$'s are gonna PAY!!!...& the wheels started to turn...
(Was the only way I could keep my sanity)
Sooo... (finally), as I go out the door it hits me...
hehehe...hehehe...hehehe...
(I remembered the candy machine)...

The candy machine!?, you might ask...
First of all, to understand the depth of the genius and amount of courage behind this brainstorm, you have to remember, it's July or August, 90-100 degrees, in the middle of nowhere, and the DZ is,
basically an un-airconditioned steel barn.
In this barn is the candy machine, & in the candy machine are...among the Snickers and Almond Joys...cans of Hormel Chili.:ph34r:

I'd always wondered who would be stupid enough to eat a can of Hormel chili out of a candy machine...
(In years I'd never seen anybody do it, so I knew they had been in there for..quite some time)
The only question was... would I survive?
Didn't matter... they had to PAY.

Soo...I spin it down, (beating them to the ground),
Manifest the same load again, & head for the 'candy machine', choke down two cans & pack...
dirt dive & head for the plane.. (hehehe), only this time I'm spot & hang..(hehehe)

Soo.. I give the pilot one last chance to make good & ask him if I can leave the door open til we get to the end of the runway - He gives me the 'against the regs' line again & seals his fate. (hehehe)

We are over the NIU dorms at about 3500 when it happened...(see attachment for illustration)

Funny thing, NOBODY (but your's truly), was laughing.

As a matter of fact, they actually tried to throw me out of the plane! (If you can imagine trying to push
a cat out of a cessna window, I think you get the picture) Those 12 story buildings now looked 2000
ft tall.

I always wondered what the 'regs' say about that.

Moral;

Anyway, by the time we got to the bar that night,
we were all good friends, & I was later invited to jump on the 'Chicago Flying Knights' demo team.

I have never looked at 'Cops' quite the same.

D

Credits;
I would like to thank Chad, who graciously allowed me to use his avitar for this post

when I first started packing, my cigarettes kept disappearing... I was convinced that some other bastard was stealing them... after all, I'd left them RIGHT THERE, pointing at the packing floor... then one day someone walks in and says, hey, you smoke Marlboro Reds, right? I say yes and as a matter of fact I'm out at the moment because some asshat just stole my pack again... then he says, no I didn't want one, I just wanted to let you know that I left them out over the corn field about 3K.... just happened to notice them fly out of my canopy as it was deploying....

I keep my smokes on a table now....

another one that was just recently told to me over some beers and verified by 5 or 6 others, so this one is real...

a first jump student gears up and while wandering around waiting to get on the plane starts wiggling around like a dog trying to catch it's tail, of course someone says, what are you doing? their answer is, somethings buzzing in my back pack (their words not mine) the instructor does another full gear check, nothing wrong, just first jump student psychosis ... okay time to get on the plane....at about 10k, the student starts freaking out, wiggling around and trying to get out of his rig.. the instructor is now convinced that this guy does not need to get out with the rest of the jumpers.... somethings buzzing in my parachute.... loud squealing follows... needless to say they land with the plane, the instructor is sure that the student is a nut and the student keeps swearing that something was vibrating against his back... the conversation continues, I've got a zillion jumps etc... etc... nothing in that container buzzes.... they open the rig and out falls a pager that's on vibrate..... as soon as it hits the floor, another student who is watching all of this play out, steps in and goes, hey, that's where my pager went, I couldn't find it....

the nut got on the next plane (sans pager) and as well as could be remembered did just fine

speaking of funny stories, the other night we were sitting around the fire drinking beer and got into a "Tom Bishop" story loop... this is kind of a texas thing... so any of you Texas jumpers weigh in with your favorite stories....

one of my favorites ( I will relate as best I can as I got it about 5th hand without embellishment) Tom was flying and wanted to put an AFF Level 1 (I believe) student out on the last load, the instructor and him had argued about the visibility (right at sunset) all the way to altitude the instructor kept trying to look out of the windscreen to see where the sun was, every time he tried, Tom would pull up the nose so he couldnt' see or something to that effect... finally, the instructor with the reservations said I'm not jumping this student and they get in an argument about it... the instructor is not going to win an argument with Tom and knows it and just says screw you and jups out the back door... now the AFF level 1 can't jump as there is only one other instructor left on board... everyone else hastily exits the plane as they know what is coming next... the remaining instructor frantically is strapping this student in with every seatbelt in sight as Tom noses the plane over and dives straight toward the ground... every AAD on board pops...

the instructor lands off and is picked up by an off duty pilot and taken back to the dz... wear immediately him and Tom get in a fist fight... before long, it turns into a small brawl with about everyone at the DZ taking part, to include Tom's (then pregnant) daughter jumping on the instructor's back and beating on him while yelling "don't you hit my daddy" or something to that effect... well anyway, the fight winds down and a bunch of the involved go to a Mexican restaurant in town and eat... when they walk out , there's a sheriff's car sitting there with two deputies who stop them and say that someone reported that an assault had taken place and that they had something to do with it... one of the jumpers says "well, let me explain... we work out at Skydive Texas and...." he is cut off by the older of the two deputies who says..."okay, what's Tom done now?"

I believe the instructor was Bobby Potter, but not 100% sure of it...

apparently, from someone who witnessed it, the funniest thing was the two students sitting on a couch with this all out brawl going on in front of them, holding their logbooks up with that , first jump still overwhelmed look on their faces waiting for their debriefs...

Wow, sax playing, meditation tape producing, mild mannered little Bobby Potter in a fist fight with mean old Deputy Tom? :D Never underestimate the power of the mind.

This must have been after I left but doesn't sound that far fetched for good old Skydive Texas.:)
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

A bunch of guys was going to do a show jump at the South African Premier league soccer finals. They were supposed to jump right after the match ended.

So, the teams play and the plane arrives minutes before the end of the match, right on schedule. But there's a problem... The match was a draw and this being a final and all, they had to have a penalty shoot out. So the jumpers don't get their clearance, cause the game is not finished.

They circle the field and wait for the penalty shoot out to finish. Anybody that knows soccer, knows that this can take a while. Eventually the plane runs out of gas, and the pilot tells the jumpers, either they jump now, or they fly back with the plane. Difficult choice for a skydiver? So they jump and it ends up they jump out right before the critical last penalty with the scores tied.

They had to stop the shoot out and wait for the canopies to land. After they landed the shoot out carries on and ..... the guy misses the last penalty of the South African premier finals!! Needless to say the jumpers got out there very quickly because of many angry supporters and players.

The story made the CNN Play of the day.

Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, will be true!

hello, this is martina from vienna, austria. first of all: excuse my english as I´m no native speaker; second: hope, I´m welcome to the forum although I´m only a tandem-passenger yet.
but there´s a nice story to tell according to this topic (funny stories):
as I had my first tandem (two years ago) and was immediately addicted to, I persuaded a good friend of mine to try, too, as he has been considering for a while himself.
as he is a "wheelchair" preparations took a bit longer than usual, but at last he was hoisted into the helicopter. the heli took off and I was waiting with my camera down there to take the first pictures after the jump.
and there he was: happy and exhausted as I expected him to be. but there was sg. else: he showed at his feet: only one shoe, second was missing!

we wondered what some hikers could have said when a sneaker just fell down from the sky in front of them, or maybe onto their head?! or maybe it splashed into the Traunsee right beside a surfer?!
anyway: we had lot of fun suggesting what could have happened to this shoe.
only trouble we had was to get a new pair of shoes on a saturday afternoon, as shops used to have closed at this time on the countryside.

I had some tandems afterwards again, but, believe me, I always checked whether my sneakers are well laced up before we go.

greetings from vienna
martina

It was bobby, I was there for it! not on the load but there for the brawl. Bobby went to work at skydive dallas for a litte while until him and tom made up...bummer about SDT closing thier doors.

Yep, bummer. Tom must've hit a gas well or two on that property. Hell of a lot more money in pumping gas outta the ground than passing gas in a plane.;)
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

This isn't really my story, but I'm not sure anyone who knows it would post it here, and I really think it's funny, so here goes... There was a tandem passenger on the ride to altitude who leans back to the TM and asks, "can you explain the cutaway thing again?" The TM goes through the explanation for him again explaining that in the event of a mal, he would "cutaway" the main canopy to give nice clean air to deploy their reserve. The tandem student looks releived at this point, nods, and says... "OH, you cut away the CANOPY!

The guy actually got in the airplane thinking the TM could just chop the student if there was a mal... I don't know about how much brains this guy has, but he must need a wheelbarrow to carry his balls.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

Just reading the thread about Bill Klase's death, I remembered a backyard demo he organized a few years ago. I guess this is really a Scotty Carbone
story rather than a Bill Klase story. A few of us were doing a demo into the backyard of some of Bill's friends a few miles north of Z-hills. We were going to get out during the planes climb-out for a regular load. I think we got 6-7000'. The rest of the load was going to full altitude after we left. Some of the guys on the demo strapped 5lb. bags of flour to their
legs to simulate smoke. Scotty had the wonderful idea to release a 10-pound sack of flour to leave a "smoke trail" to alert the party below that we were about to jump. As Scotty and I hung out the tailgate spotting, Scotty broke open the sack and 10 lbs. of flour blew straight back into the cabin all the way up to the pilot. Man, there were some pissed off people in there! By the time the "smoke" cleared we were well off the spot and I think only 2-3 jumpers made it into the party. ...I guess you had to be there! R.I.P. Bill

This summer I packed a line over for a 90 yr old lady on here 90th birthday. The tandem master pumped it out after a couple rotations. there was a few news stations out there reporting it and 100 family members watching and wondering why they spun like that after opening. It even made cnn headline news. All the tandem master said to me was nice pack job.

In the mid 1980's a 100 person demo was organised for an airshow, using a Hercules C 130. Two passes of 50 from 10 000 ft was the plan:)
The jumpmaster spotted the first run-in, and 50 skydivers bailed out intending to treat the crowd to something really special...wave after wave descended in spectacular fashion onto......the WRONG AIRFIELD!!!:o:S (a similarly small country airfield close to the airshow)

About fifteen pilots and aviation enthusiasts who were enjoying a quiet Saturday morning tinkering with their aircaft were suddenly treated to an unannounced aerial invasion by 50 equally surprised skydivers who were trying to figure out why this particular airshow was so poorly attended!:$

By this time the jumpmaster had found the right airfield, and the second group landed where they were supposed to. The first group were now stranded, and had to make all sorts of arrangements to get back home - some 50 miles away!>:(This was in the days before cell-phones, so instant communication was not an option...[:/]

I have heard this story many times, but somehow the name of the jumpmaster has never been included - I would imagine he is still paying off the mortgage he had to take out to pay for all the beer he had to buy!;)

Rickster, hit the door on exit and lost his wide angle lens and was bumming all the way down. He mentioned it to the group on landing. Daniel reached into his jumpsuit and pulled out the lens. His story was... He looked up just after exit and there, hanging weightless in front of him, was something he couldn't identify but he plucked it out of the sky as it started to accelerate towards Davy Jones' locker.

I think I know that "Daniel".....:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hi Bert,
Back in the hazy days of the early 70's, I used to jump at Otay (Borderlands airsports center) out east of Chula vista when there was nothing out there east of C.V. but Coyotes and Tumbleweeds!!! Old Art had this girlfriend that jumped and her name was Sylvia and she was a fox. We were doing 10 MAN and some 10 WAY when snoots ( like Sandi andSylvia got on the loads) out of Mac's Beech 18. Sylvia would occassionally say to Art before they left the plane,"Burn ya??" Not so much of a question but more like,"I'm gonna'!!!" Well, she did!!! It was so funny as Art's macho ego is what got burned and he would be so pissed for the rest of the day!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

A friend was jumping with her sisters custom frap hat and it came off once she reached terminal. Shes freaking because the $300 price to replace and completely screws up the 4-way. Her sister is pissed because no points were turned (didn't care about the frap at the moment) and my friend is trying to justify the loss of concentration. A guy walks into the hanger and asks "who left their frap hat in the pea?" Good spot or what?!

I have my own frap hats that I let tandem students wear. One lady didn't get hers clicked in correctly and it flew off after we got to terminal.

We were a couple of miles out on a pretty windy day.

A week later the hat shows up in the frap hat cabinet at the dz! :o
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Had a similar weird experience happen to a friend. He lost his left shoe while doing a downplane. He threw his other shoe in the thrash-bin because it was old and he didnt need it any more. He came back after two weeks of traveling and found both his shoes neatly parked ouside of manifest :o

Weird:)
/D

Now this isn't my story but my Dad's when he was jumping back in the early '70's out in Colorado, there was a guy who would put on his PC and hop on his little honda bike and ride to the DZ, now this bike was one of the first that Honda put out in the states and would not go that fast, well Mr. Rocket Surgeon is cruising down the highway, and wondered how long it would take him to slow down if he deployed, sorta like a drag racer, well he did. He said that as soon as he pulled he knew he had F'ed up big, and turned his head just in time to see the front of the canopy flip up to catch air, and the next thing he saw was watching betweeen his feet as his motorcycle rode on down the road with out him. Well he gets up, bruised but not broke, gathered his gear got back on the bike and rode to the DZ. The dumbest part of this story in my opinion, is that when he got there, he told everyone, oh hell no, that story would have gone to the grave with me:P

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Buddy of mine can't find his cell phone anywhere...pissed as hell.

He's looking all over the place for it. Under the couch, by the picnic tables, etc.

Finally says f**k it...I'll look again when I get down from the next load.

We're all climbing aboard the plane when suddenly we here it ringing....WTF....where's that coming from....MY rig. LOL...

his wife had packed my rig for me and it'd came out of her pocket....we had all but got in and belted up before starting up the 182....good thing...that'd have been an expensive load for him!!:D:D

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.