PROGRESSIVE

St Croix Valley Skydiving Club-Osceola, Wis

Naked was all the rage...

I vaguely remember a large group of girls doing a naked jump at the NCC boogie (1978-80is) out of a DC-3. They had a friend that was suppose to be waiting on the north end of the runnway with their cloths. Q found out and somehow hijacked the pile of cloths just before they landed.

It seems to me (as memories fade) that there were 10 beautiful women walking back to the packing area wearing nothing but F-111 Togas. Good times indeed! B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."
  • Like 1

Just read the post re: "dead fish in a coffin" stinking up your club house....Hey blame it on the thieving ways of the St Croix group. Knowing that our clubs (St Croix, Superior, and Eua Claire) liked to "borrow" things from other clubs, we (Superior) made up a double sided sign that nicely said, "Apollo Inn Home of the Superior Skydivers), filled it with fish guts, caulked all the seams and hung it outside (to keep it frozen) the front door of the Apollo during our winter jump meet. On the last day of the meet, the sign disappeared (as planned) and boy were we mad (and tried very hard not to laugh). One of the best GOTCHA's I've ever heard of!!
  • Like 1

Last week I was digging through some old jump stuff and ran across a 1974 St. Croix Valley Club roster. I only remember jumping there a couple of times traveling around so I must have gotten it then.

Harald
I was reviewing our forum exchange from April 2011. I did retire at the end of June 2011. It took a while to get used to being retired, however, I am not totally retired. My wife and I own and operate a 300 year old historic Bed & Breakfast near Valley Forge, PA. The Great Valley House of Valley Forge, www.greatvalleyhouse.com. Without the B&B I would probably feel pretty useless but it keeps me busy maintaining the yard and pool in the summer and building fires in the fireplace in the winter..

I hope things are going well for you and all other Osceola alumni that visit this site.

Jeff Benson
  • Like 1

Just an FYI for any of you old St Croix jumpers who knew her, Beve Androsky Baker passed away a few days ago from complications from several strokes that she suffered. She and Charlie started and were the backbone of the Superior group. There's getting to be too many of us up in that great DZ in the sky. See Skydive Superior facebook for more info.
  • Like 1

PROGRESSIVE

Any body ever jumped at the St Croix Valley Skydiving Club, in Osceola, Wis?

This Club started way before I began jumping, which was in 1979, when I was 16 yrs old. The runway was out in the middle of a corn field that was mowed, and the people back then were considered very good skydivers and hard core partyers. Jimmy Hendrix could be heard playing loudly over the roof mounted speakers on the club house as one would enter into the corn field trying to find there way to the DZ.

A lot of stories came out of this place. One story involves the pilot who had inadvertently landed / crashed in the back of a pick up truck after a night jump while a couple were out in the truck watching the stars. That very same pilot was later flying a Beach D18, with a load of jumpers when an engine over heated. An emergency exit took place, and the pilot landed safely back at the DZ. Apparently, an industrious bird had built her next inside the cowling causing one of the engines to overheat.

The late Jon Quest (spelling) ran the NCC boogie (North Central Conference) at the main Oseola airport every Spring. And for this area, it was huge for its time. DC-3s were the norm, and preferred jump ship.

Exciting times for a sixteen year old. Unfortunately, Jon, along with several of my mentors were killed in a plane crash around 1990. A midair collision took place near the Oseola airport with another plane that was being piloted by a student. The jump plane had just taken off, and the other plane was setting up to land when this occurred.

The DZ had closed soon after this tradgedy. Jumpers disbanded and began to jump at Baldwin, Wis, aka Skydive Twin Cities. Others started a drop zone in Hutchinson, Mn.

If anyone else has any additional info on the Saint Croix Valley Skydiving Club, its history, etc, please post! They were good times among good people!

Pete, There are rumors of an Alpha (25 year) Boogie at Osceola this summer with an Otter being flown in......????? Info?
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Great stuff! Can someone encapsulate a story about the DZ and hopefully add some pictures? I'd like to update the listing at DZGone.com for Osceola. Please send submissions to [email protected]

Thanks!
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

On 12/29/2003 at 11:08 AM, suitmaster said:

Hi Pete!
Yes, Osceola was a great place to skydive! I remember Skytrain landing there before it went to Alaska, everyone taking turns getting stuck in the muddy driveway in the Spring and a lot of great people that went there every weekend all year long. JQ (Quist), Quazi, Curt, Christy and Gary are dearly missed and were wonderful people to have known. We had a huge party in their memory on the ten year anniversary of the crash, where were you?
Blue Skies... Marsha

I was probably running off mountain tops in my hang glider and teaching hang gliding on the side.  Skydiving too!  All in Utah!!! :)