kallend

The James Gang

Doc-

If no one else comes up with anything...

I have nearly all the Prachutists Mags.
from about '68 on up, at my folks place 20 mins.
East of SDC...

I'll be up there just before Christmas
and can look if you'ld like.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Doc-

If no one else comes up with anything...

I have nearly all the Prachutists Mags.
from about '68 on up, at my folks place 20 mins.
East of SDC...

I'll be up there just before Christmas
and can look if you'ld like.

Cool - would that be Morris or thereabouts?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Does anyone have any pictures of the James Gang 10-way team (from Hinckley, IL) in the early 70s?

This wasn't the picture you were looking for?

Yes it was. Thanks. I'm stealin' it.

I think-that's Jim 'Bing' Bohr in front of door..
I know-on HIS right; Bob 'Fedo' Federman..
Jim Baron & Red Kosteba should be in there but I can not ID
Question/ Where are Roger & Carl?
D

The James Gang was already a competition team when Roger and Carl were novice jumpers. Roger was on "The James Gang Rides Again" a few years later. Is Pat Works there?

Just Got off the line with Fedo,
The names are:
Left to right. back row, standing;
Pilot (?), John Tirney, Bob 'Fedo' Federman, Jim 'Bing' Bohr*, Mike Hyman, Roger 'Pirate' Brink.
Left to right, front row, sitting;
Bob Alm, Louie Aug, Lou Jecker*, Red Kosteba, Jim 'Twink' Pederson*.
(*/Deceased)
D

Roger & Carl made their first jumps in 1972. James Gang had disbanded as a team by the time Roger & Carl knew what they were doing. However Roger & Carl jumped with just about everybody that was in the photo

I can verify that they jumped with at least Bob Federman, Jim Bohr, Lou Jecker, and Red Kosteba since I jumped with all of them (and Roger and Carl of course).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Digging up an old thread...

I just joined the forum, my long-time interest in skydiving has finally motivated me to think more seriously about doing it, and I happened to find dropzone.com while looking for more info.

I grew up at Hinckley in the later 70s. My dad jumped and was a pilot and my mom worked the manifests. Pat & Sandy Gleason. I doubt their names mean much to any but the oldest of the old timers anymore. My dad quit flying in 1980 or 81 and pretty soon after that they lost touch with everyone from the DZ.

Anyway, I'm posting because that picture of the James Gang may not actually be a picture of the James Gang. The guy kneeling in the dark suit at the left end of the group looks an awful lot like my dad did in the early 70s, and in his 30-odd jumps I don't think he ever became skilled enough to be invited to participate in anything record-setting unless he was flying the plane.

Of course, some of my earliest memories are of things like naked jumps under a full moon and being warned not to turn off the headlights in the car because that's how they were going to find the airport, so I suppose anything's possible :)

Dad died a couple of years ago, but I'll forward this picture on to Mom and see if she can tell me anything. Some of those names mentioned earlier are names that I remember being good friends of my parents back then.

>>Bob 'Fedo' Federman, Jim 'Bing' Bohr*, Roger 'Pirate' Brink<<

One thing I miss about the old days is we don't have cool nicknames anymore . . .

Nick "WonderBoy" D:)BASE 194

What do you mean? I kept mine....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Left to right, front row, sitting;
Bob Alm,

Bob Alm is now living in the Kalispell, MT area. Known as Breezy Bob for his aircraft that he flys regularly. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/kitspages/breezy.php
He flew it cross country to Kitty Hawk for the 100th anniversary of flight as a fund rasier for cancer research. He did it in late November; early December. Many very, very cold days.

Bob once told me that one of his many first jump students was a kid named Roger Nelson.
www.SkydiveLostPrairie.com

Here's another question. Does anyone remember the 10 way video of the James Gang doing a multi-point 10 way? Nothing special about that ordinarily. However, this was the 70's and, unlike today, most shots were exclusively film.

If I recall, it showed a 10 way round that broke into two 5-ways. One 5-way then flew over and docked slot perfect on the on the other 5-way. Pretty hot for the time!;)

Was this the James Gang or was I too buzzed at the time?

Bob Alm is now living in the Kalispell, MT area. Known as Breezy Bob for his aircraft that he flys regularly.

Do you know when he started flying the Breezy and where he kept it? There's an old picture of my dad sitting at the controls of one sometime in the last half of the 70s. I wonder if it was Bob's.

Breezy Bob aircraft

Do you know when he started flying the Breezy and where he kept it? There's an old picture of my dad sitting at the controls of one sometime in the last half of the 70s. I wonder if it was Bob's.

Bob's Breezy, N4255Y, was built in 1982. I think that Bob bought it in 1996.
www.SkydiveLostPrairie.com