ripcordkid

rod packs chuteless jump(1965?)

The first chuteless jumper was Rod Pack. I was there and saw it all, it was at Arvin Ca., I believe around 1965. Harry Haynes flew the Cessna 206, I believe, He had his flying liscense suspened for allowing the jump from his plane. Rod was a professional Hollywood stuntman at the time with only around 300 jumps. It was big world wide front page news at the time. He received $20,000 for the jump, alot of money at the time. Bob Allen, his best friend, passed a belly wart reseve parachute to him in free fall. I believe there were also 3 photographers on the jump,each one also had a landyard on their main lift web that they could use to clip on to Rod in case he missed the hook up with Bob Allen, one of them was probably Bob Buquor.
They exited around 14,000, Rod got the reserve at around 10,000 from Bob Allen. Harry Small, the rigger, made a special harness for Rod that had 2 D rings that pointed out to clip the reserve onto. Rod opened around 300 ft. The reserve was unstreerable and he narrowly missed the only set of power lines for miles around. He said after ward that if the reserve didn't work, he didn't want alot of time to think about it. Rod was a big hero after the jump, and a hell of a guy.
Tim Harris scr-21
SCR-21

>I believe there were also 3 photographers

Hi Tim .. strange to be meeting like this after all this time :-)

I remember it as two photographers:
Bob Buquor and Doyle Fields.

I wasn't there that day, but I remember seeing the movies
at the Rumbleseat a short time later.

Skr

Old post, but somebody mentioned Rod Packs' name in another forum and I searched it. Very cool trivia! I had always thought Bill Cole was the first.

Bill was the first to do it more than once. Later Jimmy Tyler did it twice, the second time the reserve was strapped on top of a baker's bowl with a drogue attached to it to keep it upright.

Jimmy later died jumping Half Dome in Yosemite.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Found the article and scanned it as a PDF. It was from the May 1965 issue of Saga Magazine. I was a student at the University of Florida and jumping at Williston and the article blew me away. I've saved it all these years.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

It was a short article by Jay Shuttleworth. All but a paragraph was included in the earlier scan. I'll try to scan the rest of it but probably won't have access to the PC with the PDF scanner again until early next week.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Were there moving pictures of this jump and are they available on the web somewhere???

Hi Skratch!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone