John4455

Hand Deployed Pilot Chute

You asked

Who invented the pilot chute in tow

R.I.P.

That could be an interesting question... I might have to research it. Pilot chutes started to be used around 1912 I think (at least I think that was about when they were patented) - but they came into regular use much later... As late as the early eighties some schools were still using pilot-chute-less reserves mounted on the front (throw reserve in the direction of the spin). Irvin and company developed the first dedicated freefall chutes for mass production, but I'm not sure if they even used pc's at first...

Something to look into...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Oh yea...The loop was elastic.....you would pinch togeather the bridle and stick it about 1 inch through the loop.We had a friend go in with a twisted bellyband...so shortly after that Hrebie Graves developed the Herbie Hog....pilotchute pouch on the riser.The handle was right next to your head in freefall.It was a great idea at the time...but at first glance it looked scarry and different.:o

Oh yea...The loop was elastic.....you would pinch togeather the bridle and stick it about 1 inch through the loop.We had a friend go in with a twisted bellyband...so shortly after that Hrebie Graves developed the Herbie Hog....pilotchute pouch on the riser.

I got a throw out pilot chute on my Green Star rig back in 1976. It was in a large pouch on the front of the legstrap.. and had a long bridle the went back to the main container... and it was all closed with an elastic cord loop with a loop of the bridle. The bridal was attached to the x shaped spider slider that went thru two large grommets IN the top center and bottom center of the Parafoil. The Pilot chute I think was about 36".. cant remember for sure but it was BIG and orange and was used as part of my wave off at the time.. see the orange waving .. GET OFF MY BACK. The main was freepacked in the container and the lines were s folded under the canopy.. the openings were.....BRISK. Supposedly the theory at the time was that the large pilot chute would slow down the opening as the opening canopy forced the spider slider down....with the pilot chute retarding the speed of the slider.... It never seemed to work very good to retard any of the oppening. I got a few nosebleeds... and many many broken steering lines...so I managed to lear rear riser turns and landings really well....

Man I love the new equipment. If I still had to jump that old rig...I dont think I would be jumping now.

while it is true that billy booth "invented" the hand destroy p.c, it was actually produced in the 50s as part of a chest pack chute assy. by switlik. p.c. was rolled up in a piece of cloth attached to the ripcord. as one pulled ,one would throw the ripcord with the attached pc(springless a 1).there is a picture of it in poynters manual.by the by, anyone here know that bill booth played "tommy" on the old dennis the menace show?

When they first came out the pouch was on a soft belly band.....twist the belly band....throw out and you have a pilot chute in tow.

:o[:/] Yup.... i did that once ,, after tracking away from an 8 way....pulled,,,got bridle extension, felt the pin pull,,,, then was head down, feet down, and Spinning!!!!! and still falling fast...The bag was out of the container and about half of the line stows had popped.
It felt as though the bridle was hung up on a harness buckle near my hip.... but in fact It was a twisted bellyband.... Yikes!!!!!....I was bookin'!!!..
(although the bridle was twisted,, there was enough pull force on it, to slide along the bellyband webbing,,, and extract the pin.... the apex lines of my Round main,,, wound up getting pulled all the way up to the twist....I looked down to see that I was directly above the pea gravel,,, and that the peas,,, were as LARGE as I usually saw them when I turned onto final during an accuracy shot...!!!.....Whoa!!!!.
I did not release my risers:o,,,, but I also did not just "pull my reserve":|:):P.... I reestablished myself in the air,, by arching hard,,, and getting belly to earth,,, when i did I could feel my main d-bag fall onto the back of my thighs,,,, and i thought,,,,"There is clear space above my back NOW......... Pull the reserve".... So I pulled my blast handle reserve handle,,, and bang!!!!!! 26 foot round........ I was around 700 feet.AGL ..I pulled on the main suspension lines,,, until I got the d bag,,, and i crammed it between my legs,,(there were 3 lines stows left) , and stood up the landing... Only then did I realize what I had done.....
I got away lucky on that one.... and later that night a rigger buddy of mine sewed a stiffener along the backside of the bellyband,,, to reduce the likelihood of a reoccurence....:S .... good thing that the main d bag didn't spill open.....,,,or I may not have been around to enjoy the many many jumps which i have made since....:ph34r::D:)

Hey Jimmy Tavino, you remember Joe Giunto's brand new Wonderhog ? Memorial Day weekend, 1976, Ripcord Skydiving Club, West Bloomfield, NY. It was an early model, still had shot & a half Capewells and a blast handle reserve.
-But what was this business about a HAND DEPLOYED pilot chute ? -You mean it has no spring ? -It doesn't even go inside the container ?
-Oh no, you fold it up like this and stuff it in this pouch on the bellyband.
-OK, Joe, so how do you open it ?
-Simple, you pull it out of the pouch and throw it away....
-You WHAT ?!?!
-You pull it out and throw it away.
-And it works ???
-Yeah, it works great, I LOVE it !
-That's cool Joe (he's out of his fuckin' mind...).

And that's the way it was back then. But soon there more and more of 'em popping up all over the place and everyone who got one loved 'em. By the end of the next year, I got me a hand deploy of my own.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

:)...Joe had been in sunny F L A and returned with the "latest and greatest"....hahahahaha
"throw away pilot chute'... to a bunch of guys raised
on "throw away kicker plates'....this sounded like it would be kinda expensive...:o [:/] :D \
"oh!!!!! the pilot chute stays ATTACHED to you,,, Huh???........" "well Sure!!!!! i'll watch YOU jump it a few dozen times....." then maybe.......I'll try it... hahahaha.....speakin' of throw out p.chutes.... A couple of years later I let Joes Brother,,, Jim jump MY wonderhog.... and he promptly managed to wrap the pilot chute bridle around his wrist!!!!!! as he pulled.... ( he claimed that the velcro on the bridle
MATED with the velcro on the cuff of his jumpsuit....) and he spent about 1,500 feet peeling it apart.....(this was in the days before cypres).... as we watched from the ground,,, he finally got the thing cleared and MY main opened!!!!!!!!... ( for him ) ... I have never "lent anyone my rig" again..:oB|;)

That's the best/worst story about velcro I've EVER heard ! I wouldn't be surprised if it did mate with his jumpsuit. Took him 1500 ft to peel it off huih ? With a little help from his guardian angel, I bet !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Want to hear a scary Velcro story? 30 years ago, my first Wonderhogs used Velcro in the reserve container to support the bottom flap. One day I opened one for a repack, and found the pilot chute mesh stuck to the Velcro in a very bad way. We're talking possible reserve total malfunction here. That's why I got rid of the Velcro inside the reserve container, AND mesh on reserve pilot chutes.