neilly

Urban myths in skydiving

Hi Neil,
with this tread, obviously you hit many open ears:

this is my share on that, experienced last weekend after returning from several days of skydiving, meeting family and whuffo friends:
1 - why do skydivers spend such a lot of money trying to die???
2 - why aren't your skydiver gals n pals just going to buy some sleeping pills (!!), a bottle of vodka, and ..much cheaper, quicker.... (sorry, that's just what someone said)
3- and the best: it is well known that skydivers mosly are depressive, don't see any reason for living and hence, looking forward to the reach "the other side"?

didn't even start to explain anything, as since a while i'm tired of doing that..

what a bullshit at all! but who knows good standard /quick answers for those "experts"??

christel

BTW: wl be in the US in spring, hope to c u..

dudeist skydiver # 3105

This one didn't quite buy that tho [:/]:D......

Notice the position of the right foot and the arms.

My guess their either going down or something is coming up. Maybe the just droped their cell phone?:)
R.I.P.

?? Don't quite follow you...

Anyway I took this pic of a tandem passenger who was just told that grabbing her ankles then hopping would help. Unfortunately she got wise and never even hopped, so no good shot :S;)

We sometimes tell this to our tandems, as Roel said. Once an actual medical doctor tandem did this and said it helped :S :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The picture shows the tandems passenger's right foot pointed to the left like a stumbling drunk.:S

The cell phone remark was a trend I noticed that some people take their cell phones when doing tandems, so they can immediatly call someone on landing and tell them something. B|

Now with the cell phones with camera's, more photo ops and story time.[:/]

R.I.P.

this is my share on that, experienced last weekend after returning from several days of skydiving, meeting family and whuffo friends:
1 - why do skydivers spend such a lot of money trying to die???
2 - why aren't your skydiver gals n pals just going to buy some sleeping pills (!!), a bottle of vodka, and ..much cheaper, quicker.... (sorry, that's just what someone said)
3- and the best: it is well known that skydivers mosly are depressive, don't see any reason for living and hence, looking forward to the reach "the other side"?

Hey, we're only depressed when we're on the ground! Sorry, I'm not sure how those should be answered. But they remind me of this CH cartoon I have on my wall :)

Sorry, I'm not sure how those should be answered

Neither am I. One day, an article was printed in a local newspaper. It's author - a bald, fat and wise psychologist stated that people like skydivers, racers, mountain climbers etc... are generally kinda psychy and they (subconciously) try to escape their miserable childhood. :S

One my fellow jumper commented the article: "This is absolutely true. My childhood was a sad one. I cried every single day. Until the day of my first jump."
villem
life is what you make it to be
http://www.youtube.com/villu357
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skybound

I got it form a 10 year old kid that his teacher told his class that you can breath through your skin in freefall.
I gave him a little test for his teacher on this. I told him to ask his teacher to go home, draw a tub full of water, stick his head under water with a fan pointed at his ass, and see if he could breath. I don't think he actually made the chalange to his teacher, to bad.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Its not a myth but a question I get asked alot when recruiting is "What happens if both your parachutes fail?"

I would have thought the answer was fairly obvious :P

The best answer to that question was given to a TV news crew who covered a one legged jumper's first sport jump(he had had several military jumps back in "Nam days and had lost a leg due to a hand grenade).He had experienced a malfunction and cutaway and landed under his reserve.The reporter asked the "What would you have done if the reserve had not opened?"question.
He answered,"Well if I had pulled my reserve and it hadn't opened,I would've reached down here between my legs and pulled this (his Mr.Happy of course)one last time".

Its not a myth but a question I get asked alot when recruiting is "What happens if both your parachutes fail?"

I would have thought the answer was fairly obvious :P

I always reply "walk towards the white light":)

Bill

"The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one" - rehmwa

My standard answer is... "You die". :P

My Standard answer is "you will get really, really, hurt" and just walk away. The confused look on the persons face is priceless IMO.

R.I.P. (DZ name)

My standard answer is... "You die". :P

My Standard answer is "you will get really, really, hurt" and just walk away. The confused look on the persons face is priceless IMO.

R.I.P. (DZ name)

My standard answer is... You have the rest of your life to think about it...!

jon

Don't think I've missed this one among the previous posts - when I first started jumping I was told that since big-way formations tend to slow down as they grow, one day people would build one large enough to land...

It was predicted that we'd be landing 150 ways!!! Of course the bases were being built with balloon sootes.

jon

A friend of mine back then did some calculations and said that a 220-way box might be landable. Of course, he said it'd suck to be the guy who went low :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One I have heard often over many years is skydivers surviving impact in freefall without any "nylon" out. I only know of one confirmed one from WW2 where a British bomber crew member survived by hittting large trees and there was a lot of snow on the ground. He was badly injured so. I saw an interview with him.
:P

There´s a well documented case of a Polish air stewardess who survived a freel fall from 30,000 feet without a rig. Search the net and you´ll find it. It happened within the last 20 years or so and as far as I know, she´s still alive today.

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

I saw Dan Poynter give a presentation that classified the stewardess as a wreckage rider (came down in a piece of the plane). There have been 6 or 7 of those who have survived.

According to Dan's presentation, the RAF gunner in WWII was the only documented freefall survivor.

Joe