neilly

Urban myths in skydiving

Q : Once you jump out of the plane, how long do you have until you need to open a parachute?
A : The rest of your life.

-----------------------------------

Skydivers do not need to breath while in freefall because they absorb Oxygen through their skin because they're falling so fast. Corollary... that's why skydivers cannot jump through clouds, because they would drown.

;)

I don't know if this is an "urban legend" or real, but years ago I heard a story about a guy that wanted to film (this was before video) cats in freefall. The way I heard it, he had some cats in a box and released them after exit.

Either through desperation or natural coordination, the cats got to him in freefall and dug their claws in. According to the story, the guy got torn up by the cat claws during opening, but the cats all hung on and ran like hell after he landed.

I heard this story years before "The Man who Loved Cat Chasing" was published in Skydiving magazine, so this wasn't a regurgitated version of that story.

If this really happened, I'd love to see the film!!!

Walt

"you can't steer rounds"
"jumping a round really hurts"

Wendy W.

I hear a lot of those canards repeated at certain large DZ's in So. Cal. that should know better. Another of my favorites is that twenty years ago everybody jumped rounds.

Actually, we didn't use anything, we just landed on our heads.....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Don't know if this really happened but heard it from more than one person. Seems there was a group of guys in the North Texas area in the mid to late 70s who were very good at hijacking demos. If they heard about a good demo, they would show up about ten minutes before it was scheduled, make an outlaw jump into the venue, steal the glory and make a quick getaway. Can you inagine the confusion when the real demo team showed up?:ph34r:
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

didnt say they dont happen - just that they

must take place with o2...

by must i meant according to the rules not that its a physical impossability.

Aviation regulations state that if you (pilot or passenger) are between 10,000ft and 13,000ft for over half an hour, you need oxygen... but if you'er above 13,000ft for any duration, you need oxygen.

Now, we go regularily to 13,500ft... and no one wears... no big deal though. Friends of mine have reported feeling 'silly' and 'really good' at 18k in the plane without O2... I'm sure it's different for each person but 16k under canopy, and I'd be real careful coming in to land.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I'm sure it's different for each person but 16k under canopy, and I'd be real careful coming in to land.

Hey you should always be at least a little bit carfull when you land, if for no other reason then it leaves you intact to do more landings.
As for 16k under canopy, unless you're landing on a mountain somewhere by the time you get back down to normal altitudes the o2 levels are corespondingly normal and you should have recovered from any lack of oxygen.
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

I was told just take one shoe off and shove it up your ass. The FAA will never figure it out

I really hope I remember this when the time comes.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Yeah, can't confirm its truth though, may just be a legend. The story was that they flew as low and as slow as pos and dump em into snow banks.

Never heard about the white rocks bit though so cannot confirm either way.

Did hear that instead of using bungees to stow their lines (whe para-troopers actually started to be issued with chutes), they just used to S-fold them ontop of the bag and poor on hot wax. Once the wax had cooled it would be brittle and just break appart to let the lines out on opening.

you O2 altitudes are wrong. While you are correct under part 135, skydiving operates under part 91 and there only the pilot needs O2 above 12,500 to 14,000 if longer that 30 minutes, full time if above 14,000. The skydivers only need O2 if above 15,000. (part 91.211 of CFR 14):)

And remember, these altitudes are MSL. which means several DZs around the country should have their pilots on O2 every load.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals