neilly

Urban myths in skydiving

I got my dad to do a tandem skydive, he was so scared that he couldn't breathe in freefall. I think his lungs were full of air and he kept trying to inhale. The video is hilarious. I guess that's how the myth started, people too scared to breathe, he still claims it's the way the wind was hitting his mouth.

EM

http://www.SkydiveVids.com

If I remember right the stewardess was strapped into the rear seat in the tail and she and the tail (which acted kind of like a canopy) fell to the ground together. She was hurt very badly but lived.

http://www.avsec.com/asi/editorial/vesna.htm

Here is an Interview with the lady. way down the pages she says she was told that they found her in the middle of the plane. She has no recollection of the incident herself.

Just speculating, but a broken-off tail section could very well go into a flat spin, depending on where the CG ended up. Although it's certainly not something that I'd want to try at home with my own tail-end of an airplane, it's not unheard of for pilots to survive spin-ins in planes. This apparently happened several times during early WWII training in Stearman planes (pretty tough machines to begin with).

:PTwardo,

I'm not sure who originated this reply, but when a student would ask about what happens if both chutes don't open I would tell them to cross your legs, twist your torso and put your arms above your head and cross them. The usual reply was "How would that help you?". I would then answer "Well, it won't help YOU, but it will help the ground crew screw you out of the ground."

It was always fun watching the reaction.

There is a technique for getting cats out the door. You gotta put then in a section of stovepipe that is slick on the inside. Put the cat inside while still on the ground and seal the ends. On jump run just stick the end out the door and open the end and they slide right out.

Growing up on a dz as a kid in the 70's, whats up nickDg Dave teagues son here,and also as an active skydiver and working at a dz, not only do you get the questions from the whuffos/ students but you overhear the family's of tandem passengers making all kinds of comments. The breathing thing is sorta real, if your are looking down at the ground and your mouth is open the air does get forced in quicker than they can breath apparently so I would tell them look forward and close your mouth breath through your nose. One I have have not seen yet here that I have been asked is what does the helmet do for you if the parachutes dont open? and my answer, it gives the the people responding an easy way to carry your wallet,car keys, and these days your smart phone in. The other favorite answer to both parachutes failing is aim for my riggers car. Another one is when I offer to sting/shoot video for a tandem for a friend that is not by them selves and they ask if I can do it for both of them but be on the same plane. When I explain that tandems have at least a 5 second separation between exits the look of confusion is priceless,wait for it.... then the light bulb slowly comes on as one of them starts to ask cant you just....

Back a few pages were all, actually through out, posts about whuffo comments... Back in '65 my girlfriend's mom was asking me about jumping and how long we could "Fall!!" i explained that from 7500 feet we could fall for 30 seconds till pull alt. but the clicher was telling her that from 12.500 feet we could fall for a whole minute.....60 seconds!!!'' Her reply,"Oh My!!, How can you hold your breath that long?????"
"Kitchey Koo you Bastards!!!!"...from an od Rob Crumb Zap Comix!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

vanair

what about the czechoslovakian stewardess?
30,000' got sucked out of blown door. Landed in Mediterranean next to fishing boat. 6 mo. in hospital

Your details are incorrect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulovi%C4%87
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.