neilly

Urban myths in skydiving

funny you say that,
i had a friend make her first jump today and she loved it, cept the part where she couldnt breathe!
i was like yea right what are you talking about- but she said she was dead serious couldnt breathe

guess that ones not a myth?? :P

cya n the sky
~justi

~boogie ho!!
pull before impact!
L.A.S.T#14, PMS #309, Ci EL O DI O SA

My girlfriend made 1 AFF and 2 tandem jumps before deciding skydiving is not for her. I swooped her on her 1st tandem and the poor girl COULD NOT breath. She said once she exited the plane, it was like all the wind was knocked out of her and she couldn't breath again until she was under canopy. I can never forget the look of sheer panic on her face on her tandem!! This happened on all 3 jumps she made. I know it doesn't usually happen, but apparently it DOES happen sometimes. [:/]

My girlfriend made 1 AFF and 2 tandem jumps before deciding skydiving is not for her. I swooped her on her 1st tandem and the poor girl COULD NOT breath. She said once she exited the plane, it was like all the wind was knocked out of her and she couldn't breath again until she was under canopy. I can never forget the look of sheer panic on her face on her tandem!! This happened on all 3 jumps she made. I know it doesn't usually happen, but apparently it DOES happen sometimes. [:/]

I still say it is anxiety, not physics that gave her that impression.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I still say it is anxiety, not physics that gave her that impression

I totally agree with you. I tried and tried and TRIED to tell her that it wasn't normal and she was most likely just so nervous... but she swore it had something to do with the way the jumped out and "hit" the outside air. :S Silly girl. :D But I love her just the same... :)

i have heard this one before

"I almost fell into my canopy when i was doing spirals"

Hmmm have not fell into my canopy yet how bout you?

Speaking from experience, it is quite possible to fall into your own canopy, although you have to do some pretty stupid stuff to get yourself into that situation.

(I did it trying to do barrel rolls on a non-elliptical canopy B|)

Never again

This is a good myth!

I have heard that eating chili, beans and a cup of hot cocoa, 1 hour before jumping will help you relax in the way up! And will create a good atmosphere in the airplane
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

Has anyone ever heard of russian commandos jumping into snow banks durring WWII then stopped when the Polish started painting the rocks white???

I have read in "Parachutes and Parachuting" that the Russians really did try this as an experiment, but I've never heard of them actually doing it in combat, so I don't know about the painting the rocks white. They would fly low altitude with full flaps, then jump at low altitude over the snow. According to the book, it caused so amny injuries, the Russians decieded not to use it.

There´s a well documented case of a Polish air stewardess who survived a freel fall from 30,000 feet without a rig. Search the net and you´ll find it. It happened within the last 20 years or so and as far as I know, she´s still alive today.

According to the book "Parachutes and Parachuting" (Bud Sellick), it occourred isometime in the 1960's, if I remember right. As I recall, the book has a whole chapter on chuteless survival.

Hmmm...
"Chuteless Survival." I can just see the new reality TV show...

Sometimes I'd like to have a more colorful past than I actually do. I've just heard stories of people trying to throw a cat out of an airplane, I haven't actually tried. By the way, the cat always won.

Dogs, on the other hand, will willingly jump static line or tandem. They just want to go where ever you go, by any means possible.

That's because to a dog you're family - to a cat you're staff.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I remember hearing or reading somewhere about the creation of the British airborne, shortly before WWII. Apparently they asked a unit for volunteers to jump out of planes, and half the men volunteered. When the sergeant gave the list to his commander, the commander then told the sergeant to send them to supply to get parachutes issued. The sergeant responded with, "Oh, we get parachutes?"

Pretty sure it's not true, but still kinda funny.

Mike

I would aways have 1 student ask that question....My answer was.....If both chutes don't open, bend over, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.!!! The class would all laugh, which would ease the tension they were feeling. First jump students usually had tension. This comment was a tension reliever...CUZ laughter relaxes you. LOL LOL LOL.....SANDY
Sandy

There´s a well documented case of a Polish air stewardess who survived a freel fall from 30,000 feet without a rig. Search the net and you´ll find it. It happened within the last 20 years or so and as far as I know, she´s still alive today.

According to the book "Parachutes and Parachuting" (Bud Sellick), it occourred isometime in the 1960's, if I remember right. As I recall, the book has a whole chapter on chuteless survival.

Hmmm...
"Chuteless Survival." I can just see the new reality TV show...

She was still in the fuselage of the plane, which landed in snow. So it was not a "true" freefall.

If I remember right the stewardess was strapped into the rear seat in the tail and she and the tail (which acted kind of like a canopy) fell to the ground together. She was hurt very badly but lived.

http://www.avsec.com/asi/editorial/vesna.htm

Here is an Interview with the lady. way down the pages she says she was told that they found her in the middle of the plane. She has no recollection of the incident herself.

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)