MarkR

Can you help me identify these skydivers?

Hey guys,

I'm a Skydiver from Germany, jumping at a very small but nice Dropzone near Meissendorf (Hannover).

There is a certain picture hanging on our community building's wall (I've attached it to this posting). It happens to be my fiancée's favourite picture and since she's going to celebrate her 30th Birthday on the 6th of September I've made a reproduction of it to give it to her as her birthday gift.

The only problem is, that noone has been able to tell me who these two skydivers on this photo are. The letters '-RTIS' can be seen on the female skydivers helmet, which brings me to the conclusion that her name must be CURTIS, but I don't have a clue who the male skydiver is.

Do you per chance know who these two are? I'd be happy for any hint you could give me.

Thanks in advance,
[email protected]
»Somewhere between the lies and truths borderlines get shady.
Somewhere between the yesses and nos you can find the maybe.«

The only problem is, that noone has been able to tell me who these two skydivers on this photo are. The letters '-RTIS' can be seen on the female skydivers helmet, which brings me to the conclusion that her name must be CURTIS, but I don't have a clue who the male skydiver is.

Do you per chance know who these two are? I'd be happy for any hint you could give me.

Jim Curtis represented the US in world competition in the late 1960's. The gear reflects that time period. Having your name on the front of your helmet in that font style was a US Team practice. Also during that era, only US Team members wore the US Flag decal on their helmets. Not a hard fast rule but a generally accepted practice of respect for our delegated competitors.

The helmet of the jumper on the left is not a Bell helmet, as the one worn by the jumper on the right. However, the rig appears to be a Pioneer, the same as the jumper on the right.

During that time it was common for world competitors to exchange gear and make friendship jumps. It looks like the jumper on the left, assuming a female, traded gear with an American but preferred her personal helmet.

In those days no red blooded American male would have been caught kissing another male on the mouth.

Since the ladies of the Soviet women's team were not dainty back then, I would assume that the female is European.

That's my guess as to the scenario. If Jim Curtis is still a member of USPA, and I think he is, you could probably contact him through the association and ask him to identify the jumper on the left.

Hope that helps.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Since the ladies of the Soviet women's team were not dainty back then, I would assume that the female is European.

Well, since it's the German flag on the males helmet and if they've really exchanged gears I'd say she's indeed German. My guess was that it was the male skydiver which was European.

Hope that helps.

It sure does! Thanks a 1000 times!

BlueS,
Mark

I used to have a Super Pro rig that looked a lot like the one on the left. Say, are those Porshe goggles? I haven't seen those for a while. Who knows who the people are. I'd say the one on the right is probably a woman. You don't suppose they are two Lesbians getting it on in freefall??? I should have been a detective......Steve1

I'd say the one on the right is probably a woman.

She is, clearly to see at the original version of this photo. And the left person is male, that's for sure too.

And that's all I've known since I've started this thread. I've already written an eMail to USPA if the could give me Jim Curtis' eMail-address or at least forward my eMail to him.

The skydiver on the right could be Ann Curtis, SCR 107, at the time wife of Curt Curtis, a very prominent skydiving couple from the San Francisco area 1960s to early 1980s. They, along with Tim Saltonstal ran the very popular Pope Valley centre.

This photograph is familiar to me, probably from Lyle Cameron's magazine in the early 1970s. The terrain below does not appear to be European, but more like the Raeford NC area. There was a first international relative work competition at Fort Bragg in '72 or '73 - maybe there?

USPA archives may have the answer for you, or possibly Bill Newell.

USPA archives may have the answer for you, or possibly Bill Newell.

Thanks for these hints! How can I contact Bill Newell?

BlueS,
Mark

The skydiver on the right could be Ann Curtis, SCR 107, at the time wife of Curt Curtis, a very prominent skydiving couple from the San Francisco area 1960s to early 1980s. They, along with Tim Saltonstal ran the very popular Pope Valley centre.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. After I made my post I got to thinking that Jim Curtis had/has a wife named Ann. Then I started getting confused with Anne Batterson.:S
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Looks like a Javelin Odyssey on the left side, and maybe a Vector 3 on the right?

Neither of which were even a gleem in the eye of their pappy the wonderhog at the time of this picture's taking, there whippersnapper!! :S

If you're a plannin' to post-whore there Darren, why don't you instead take it to "meets 'n greets" or somethin? :o :) :P --DOH!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone