tonybrogdon

Smitty the Jumper

Intereestingly enough, getting back to the 1983 So. African meet, FAI sanctioned a "protest" meet with World Cup status at Abbotsford, BC, Canada in '83. Mirror Image did represent the US at the Abbotsford Cup meet, where I think they finished second behind the French (?). Also the U.S. Army 4 way team won the Nationals that year, but were not permitted to go to So. Africa, but went to the Abbotsford meet and I don't remember whether they won or placed. With the Army not going to So. Africa, one of the Visions 4 way teams, either "Fire" or "Ice", which had finished second at the Nationals, went as the US 4 way team.

The 1983 World Cup Meet was held in Claresholm, Alberta and, this will likely surprise you, the Canadian Team won both 4 and 8 way. Here's a link to the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association's website page listing Canadian medal winners at World Competitions.

Interesting items for note...one of the 1985 4 and 8 way Canadian Team members that won Silver and Bronze respectively is Neal Houston...most recently seen with Airspeed.

Ah yes, the days when our teams received a ton of government funding and Canada was a powerhouse in the RW world.

Those days are long gone and the people representing Canada basically pay for everything out of their own pockets. Unfortunately...nobody with pockets deep enough to compete at the world level.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

You're right, it WAS the Canadians who won both events. I wasn't jumping at the time, but was still taking a subscription to Skydiving Magazine and you've remeinded me that Canada had some really hot hot teams in the eighties. My goof on Abbotsford, goes to show you where a faulty memory gets you....thanks for the extra info!

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Thanks for your post.

I am very greatful I got to know Smitty, first the day when I made my first jump in Hutchinson, Kansas in 1977 and then later sending him an airline ticket to come out to come to Perris, December 15th, 1985, to do the tandem. He stayed with me along with his son, Jerry for three days before returning to Withita.
He was a remarkable human being.
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

Yes, I met Smitty back when I went to the "83, '84, and '85 Nationals in Muskogee, OK. He was a regular there every year and always had his old car with all kinds of skydiving stickers and grafitti all over it as I recall. He would just hang out there passing the time with anyone and everyone. He was certainly admired and respected. Sorry to hear of his passing.....

Don't mean to add confusion to this thread, but a few details. I jumped in Wichita from 1990-1996 and ran a small dz for two years (Jayhawk Skydivers, 1994-1996). Smitty was 93 when he passed away but that was in 1995, I think. I organized a jump-in to his funeral that went very well. Two Cessna 182's in formation at 3500' AGL and we put out 8 jumpers who landed right next to his burial site. The jump went perfectly and then we did a "missing man" fly by with the cessnas!!
It was a fitting tribute to a legendary jumper.
I had actually only met Smitty a couple of times during my years in Wichita. Occcasionaly someone would bring him out for the day to Jeff Bodiger's dz at El Dorado, about 20 miles NE of Wichita.Smitty was a legend to many of the Wichita area skydivers.

Thanks for your post and update on Smitty. He was a legend and true pioneer of our sport. I met him the day of my first jump in Hutchinson at Sky Sports in September 1977. As I mentioned in my orginal post , I got to also know his son, Jerry quite well and feel fortunate to have known Smitty and call him a friend.

Thanks again.
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

I still have some of the books of Smitty's history. He always had some with him to sell to finance his many excursions to Oshkosh, Nationals, Freak Brothers, and Gordy Hanson's July 4 Leapfest. His son, Jerry recently passed on also. Smitty sure enjoyed jumping, girls, and talking to everybody.
Rule #1 of Skydiving: Safely Land An Open Parachute!

Hi all !
I am new to this forum but not new to skydiving , Smitty painted a sign for my dad at our gas station when I was about ten years old . I started going out to the DZ shortly after that and used to take smitty to Hutchinson k,s around the time you started jumping Tony ? Smitty talked of you often .
I did a article in parachutist in october of 95 after Smitty passed on , I couldn,t make the jump at the service cause I was a paul berer , But the next time I went out of a plane I was yelling this ones for you Smitty. Man I sure miss that ole guy he was one of a kind .
Any one that would like to contribute to a neat headstone for smitty we are trying to raize enough to just get it , Jerry his son told me that the last 7 folks that they burried did not have headstones but Smitty deserves one , Any one can contact me offline for info on how to donate , Smitty had alot of friends I have been trying to get this done for several years now help us out folks he was a icon to our sport .
Blue skies ! !
Chuck

Time to bring this old fart to the front of the thread again.

I recently bought a scanner that does a pretty decent job of scanning slides.

This is Ole Smitty at Muskogee Nationals. Might have been 84 or perhaps later.

Hopefully I'll find the rest of this series and get it out here. :)
Anyone know the babe in the shot?
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Well, since you've bumped this thread back into the present, here's a Smitty picture, probably from Z-Hills in the mid-70s. Smitty is, of course, at left, and the jumpers on the right are thumbing through the book he sold to anyone with a buck or so.
On top of the car in the foreground is a canopy, mounted on a steering wheel, used for demo jumps in the Olde Days. (There are pictures of such jumps in the Poynter manual.)

HW

Going through my old parachutist magazines I found the one with the article I did when Smitty passed away , it is October 1995 issue .
I was a paul berrer at the service so I did not get to jump into his funeral ,BUT on my next jump after I put out a load of students I went out the door saying out loud THIS ONES FOR YOU SMITTY .
Miss the ole guy !
Blue skies ! !
Chuck