DYEVOUT

Cross post - Fathom movie ?

I posted this in Talk Back earlier, but it may draw more response here.

Has anyone seen the movie "Fathom"?? :S

It was a poorly written, poorly shot 1967 flick about a hottie named Fathom (Raquel Welch), who plays a member of the U.S. Skydiving team - being recruited to do some secret agent type shit for the Brits. The picture is more of a vehicle to showcase Raquel's almost surreal hotness B|, than to convey any kind of plot.

The movie did, however, contain several minutes of assorted skydiving footage - including some packing (into an S-folded sleeve?), accuracy landings under (what I believe to be) Paracommanders, and some super-hoaky under canopy (layover) effects. Were these PCs ? They had a shitload of slices in the back of 'em, and a large cutout in the rear. Containers were o.d. 2-pin. I find vintage gear very interesting, and from what the landings looked like (train wrecks) - I'm glad to be under a ram-air. :)

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Yep most of it sounds accurate from what I remember... A friend used to have the movie on VHS. The canopies had sleeves usually long cotton things.. and were S-folded into the long container with two spring loaded pilotchutes.( I packed a couple this spring)

Accuracy landings were downwind into the peas... reaching with one leg for the 10 CM disc. The rounds with slices cut out were various 35' T-10 or 28' C-9 or 26' Navy canopies modified with 5 tu or 7 tu or L something.. etc. that gave them a little bit of steerability and a bit of forward drive. Now... if you are a REAL skydiver you will find something like the Seattle Skydivers... Green Meet where we rolled out the old stuff ( B-12 containers with the aforementioned modified T-10 with a 24' front mounted pull and punch pilotchuteless reserve.) and go for accuracy and more train wrecks.. :S ( you shoulda seen my landing last May... BIG BRUISES but it ROCKED to jump the old stuff again)
Check out the pictures:)
Green Meet

Amazon

and go for accuracy and more train wrecks..

Oh, they were hittin' the peas. But they were hittin' 'em HARD, (no stand-ups). :)
The only jumpship shown on the movie was a post '58? (slanted verticle stabilizer) C182. Nothing fancy, but a lot of grins in the landing area, just like now.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Oh, they were hittin' the peas. But they were hittin' 'em HARD, (no stand-ups).

I have a great picture of me slammin the area of the disc.... with pea gravel flying everywhere out of the "crater" hurt like hell but considering it was under a Papillion( French version of the Para-Commander)

It was just the way it was done... with the reserve disconnected from one side.. after main deployment for better visibility. Downwind so you could judge the sink better.

Another Vintage movie you need to get if you love this stuff is Gypsy Moths.. get the DVD with a "Making Of" featurette. It has LOTS of vintage dear.. as well as the original Proto-Sorta-Birdman suit/wings.
Amazon