2 2
RicksRiggery

Piggyback rig design

Part 7.
On the Following day arrangements were made for Dan Abbott to go to Yuma and interview the US Parachute Team Members, (Mostly U.S.Army Parachte Team also) Dan Flew down and met with and interviewed each member and obtained suggestions as to where to put the reserve. According to Dan Abbott, oddly no one suggested putting on the back. The concensus was it had to be away from the chest, so it would not interfer with the approach in the accuracy competition. At the end of the Day , Dan Flew back to Oakland. End of 7.

Part 8.
On the flight back to Oakland, Dan Abbott reviewed the comments and attempted to get a concenus of comments, but it was to no avail. He then thought of what to do with the reserve, the only thing that could be done was to put it on the back. He then made several sketches,first side by side and routed the risers. It was not any good there would be a riser crossing the reserve pack and cause a foul up with the reserve deployment. That configuration was elimanated. Next was the reserve at the bottom ,with the reserve risers routed along the sides of the main container, covered with protective flaps. Dan was concerned with main flaps inter-ferring with the deployed of the reserve to much of a chance for fouled deployment the bottom location was ruled out. end of Part 8.

Part 9.
On Dan's return to Security a third meeting was convened John Maggi, Lou Maggi, Dan Abbott with Deke Sonnichsen and Bill? By this time Dan had put together some ideas with regard to harness and container to resolve the reserve location issue and some prelimanary sketches of the main canopy.
It was agreed that this was the way to go and Deke Sonnichsen, wanted the program to be completely secret to prevent any information getting to Russians. With that John demanded that Security would be the exclusive provider of equipment, Sonnichsen agreed. All Agreed on the secrecy. PCA presented a agreement document which committed PCA to Security and Security to PCA,
end of Part 9.

Part 10.
After Deke and Bill left, the meeting continued with John, Lou and Dan. John instructed Dan to use his imagination to the fullest, and when he had an idea that would move the state of art forward, John said. "Come in and tell me about your idea, maybe I can add something to it." John added, "What ever you need, tell me and I'll get it!" Dan assigned Ludlow Clements to the Engineering Office to free Dan to work on the New Rig. Ludlow took over the responsiblity of doing the goverment bids. However when any testing was to be done, Ludlow was with Dan. Perry was working in Quality Control and could not get freed up to assit Dan. John kept in close contact daily with Dan monitoring the progress. End of Part 10

Part 11.
John told Dan he had some ideas on the Riser releases to make them easier to use and said he would work them out. Also, John offered the name "Piggyback"! Offering, "Why Piggyback?
Because you are piggbacking the reserve on the Main!" The name stuck.
Dan had finished the drawings and patterns for the Main canopy. It was equivalent to a 24' chute with a pulled down vent, four gore skirt extensions, with four turn and thruster slots slots to vent to the rear to add to the main thruster slots. and the leading and trailing edges with an ellipical cut. Dan referred to the four long turn slots as turn and over-drive slots. There were four control lines. The front could turn and brake the canopy and fully pulled down the Canopy would fly backwards. The control lines on the rear risers would increase the forward speed ,if fully depressed, Pulling opposite control lines would turn the canopy on the spot . It was fully controllable . End of Part 11

Part 12.
While the main canopy was being made, Dan designed a back up canopy for "just in Case" It was 28 ft.in diameter, block constructed with a center lines. in red and black 2.25 oz zero porosity nylon ripstop. The same material in the The Crossbow Main. John went an antique store and came back with a Old Crossbow. He said I wanted to call this system,"Crossbow Piggyback System". There were two more names to come, both from Jon Maggi, The reserve handle the red handle became the "Lollypop", and the riser releases, became the "One Shot"a modification the Capewell Release. We tested every conceivable event to cause a possible failure to release. In all cases the risers released. After tests, the harness and container was suspended from risers in the Packing Area , with only the weight of the packed reserve in the reserve container. The rig was tested 100 times affecting the release the rig would drop 5' into a 3' x4' basket and every time the pilot chute deployed free of the basket. during this period every joint in the canopies, riser tested to destruction to determines the acceptability of the design, No part required redesign. End of Part 12

Part 13.
With all the prototype test parachutes completed, In February 1964, drop test were performed to show acceptability for proper and acceptable deployment of the main and reserve systems. During the test jumps of the Crossbow Piggyback, appproved chest packwere used until the completion of the TSO tests on the reserve. The main system did not require a TSO but the were functionally and load tested to prove the system was acceptable for use. After the functioning test of the system, performance testing began and all testing for TSO compliance and submission to the FAA the Tracker System and the Crossbow systems were completed and the 19 systems were made for the U.S. Men and Womens team members. Susie Clements, Ludlow's wife and a U.S. Team member did some of the original test jumps to ascertain their use and control from the small woman aspect. During the testing phase Jerry Bourquin and Loy Brydon from the U,S,.Army and U.S.Parachute members, were made available to do the test jumping.Now the story gets interesting. End of Part 13.

Wartlord:
The lead cable stop was standard on the Crossbow from 2cd experimental rig (just called the "Piggyback). The aluminum cast ripcord grip was an effort to make grip fit the closed hand instead of the 1/4" steel tube which did not fit the hand.

Click Here to see one of the original Crossbow system handles. The lead stop (an oval fishing sinker) was removed from this one by a nervous rigger, but I never dropped it. The "bend" in it curved it away from the chest, making it easier to grip in FF. There were two spring-steel clips inside the ripcord pocket that held the thing secure.

Part 11.
John told Dan he had some ideas on the Riser releases to make them easier to use and said he would work them out. Also, John offered the name "Piggyback"! Offering, "Why Piggyback?
Because you are piggbacking the reserve on the Main!" The name stuck.

Click Here to see an early Crossbow system, minus the main canopy. This is one of the oldest pig rigs around -- possibly the fourth one made after the two prototypes.

Part 12.
John went an antique store and came back with a Old Crossbow. He said I wanted to call this system,"Crossbow Piggyback System". (...) The reserve handle the red handle became the "Lollypop", and the riser releases, became the "One Shot"a modification the Capewell Release.

Clicky for a look at a very faded crossbow logo as it appeared on the early systems.

Clicky Again to see the reserve ripcord "blast" handle (26ftconical, does this look like the original, or was it replaced before I got it?)

Note the yellow lanyard that connected to the left risers. The other end attached to the reserve ripcord housing, which was snapped onto the reserve container (Clicky). When the main was cut away, the housing pulled away, snatching our the pins ... FAST! The conical reserve deployed within about 75 feet.

Also note the nylon plug in the reserve ripcord housing. It was intended to keep pea gravel from getting into the housing and jamming the ripcord. These were originally in both ends of the main ripcord housing, too, but most were later removed.

There's also a pic of the One Shot releases, if you aren't too tired to Click again.

The piece of white suspension cord shown in the last two pics was connected at the other end to the reserve container ... just in case it didn't want to open for some reason. This is one of the first of the famous "Jesus Strings" (aka "Oh SH**! Strings) ever installed.

Part 12.
John went an antique store and came back with a Old Crossbow. He said I wanted to call this system,"Crossbow Piggyback System". (...) The reserve handle the red handle became the "Lollypop", and the riser releases, became the "One Shot"a modification the Capewell Release.

Clicky for a look at a very faded crossbow logo as it appeared on the early systems.

Clicky Again to see the reserve ripcord "blast" handle (26ftconical, does this look like the original, or was it replaced before I got it?)

Note the yellow lanyard that connected to the left risers. The other end attached to the reserve ripcord housing, which was snapped onto the reserve container (Clicky). When the main was cut away, the housing pulled away, snatching our the pins ... FAST! The conical reserve deployed within about 75 feet.

Also note the nylon plug in the reserve ripcord housing. It was intended to keep pea gravel from getting into the housing and jamming the ripcord. These were originally in both ends of the main ripcord housing, too, but most were later removed.

There's also a pic of the One Shot releases, if you aren't too tired to Click again.

The piece of white suspension cord shown in the last two pics was connected at the other end to the reserve container ... just in case it didn't want to open for some reason. This is one of the first of the famous "Jesus Strings" (aka "Oh SH**! Strings) ever installed.

I used One-Shot's for almost all my jumps. I installed a set on my B12 system at about 100 jumps and put a set on my Wonderhog as well. Had my only cutaway with them and they worked perfectly. They were the most missunderstood piece of hardware around IMO. People seemed to think all you had to do was breath hard and they would release when of course you had to pull them all the way to nearly 180 degrees to release the risers. I simple bent the main spring (spring steel really) a little more than factory to make it a firm pull. There were maybe 6 or 7 people I knew jumping them and I never heard of a cover opening accidentally even to the half (cocked) position. I'd still jump one-shot's without any worries (at least for RW).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Yep. I'm not sure that "One Shot" was an accurate name. I remember hearing about someone snagging one on exit, popping the cover open, and not realizing it until just before he landed. You not only had to open them, you had to pull them down to release them.

Compared to the numerous cases of shot and a half hangups, I would risk the cover snagging. Shot and a half's scared me with those little hook thingies that had to compress on the pull of the cable. The One-Shot release removed those all together. Personally, I never thought the 3-Ring gave much over the One-Shots (except for a cleaner harness in terms of snag potential), so I never changed mine out. I'm sure if I'd built one more rig I would have, but more because it was becoming the standard than any functional enhancement (I have two intentionals on shot and a halfs and one on 3-ring, so I have some basis for comparison). I never liked the velcro peel and pull handle thing, but Bill could find no other way to ensure a safe non-release system since there is no tension on the 3-Ring until you're under something.

I had left Bill's shop before he completed the final design of the 3-Ring system, but he had already ruled out any "normal" handle, even the light PVC stuff we were using for the other handles because of the "not under tension" issue (a very smart man indeed).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Now the story gets interesting. End of Part 13.

Well ...?? We're waiting with baited breath!

(Nope ... wrong spelling ... unless we're trapping skunks.)

We're waiting with bated breath! (That's better ... this is one of my main spelling gripes. It was actually 'bated breath ... a shortened version of abated breath, as in we're holding it. I guess you could say, then, that many of us older farts, riding in a C-170 or similar AC, waited for jump altitude with 'bated pee.)

... this is one of my main spelling gripes. It was actually 'bated breath ... a shortened version of abated breath, as in we're holding it. I guess you could say, then, that many of us older farts, riding in a C-170 or similar AC, waited for jump altitude with 'bated pee.)

Or in the case of Mexican Food...NO breath!:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

... this is one of my main spelling gripes. It was actually 'bated breath ... a shortened version of abated breath, as in we're holding it. I guess you could say, then, that many of us older farts, riding in a C-170 or similar AC, waited for jump altitude with 'bated pee.)

Or in the case of Mexican Food...NO breath!:ph34r:

I remember a friend of mine coming back from Raeford one weekend and telling me about jumping with members of the Russian team. They didn't speak much English, but apparently *everyone* understood what, "HEY! Who stepped on that frog??!!" meant.

Part 14.
I amgoing to digress for a moment. After the first cutaway by Loy Brydon, every wanted to do it. The final thing designby Dan, was the rucksack. Previouely all parachute carrying bags just had hanles to carry it by. On the Crossbow carrying bag it had shoulder straps so you could carry the bag on you back. Another, never been done before.
In late April 1964 all the TSO tests were completed and the application for C23b were applied for the Tracker reserve and the Crossbow reserve rig. All thre Team members were measured for custom fit harness. End of Part 14.

Part 15. Troubles.
When All the testing and the production was to start Dan had a meeting with Loy Brydon. Loy asked for a split saddle, At no time had this ever been brought up. Dan argued with Loy that every thing was set and this would require making anew set of main lift webs. THis was one of those Ah Shit! situations. After about 15 minutes of arguments, Dan relented and said,"OK." Now the other shoe was dropped! Loy wanted the Crossbow main canopy redesigned to lower the rate of descent from 14 ft/seond ti 13 ft/second for the jumpe weight of 180 pounds. Dan said, "It's too late for that now, all the testing has been done, it would require a whole new set of drawings and pattern. All the testing would need to be repeated, all thr load, functional and performance test . The main pack flaps, the sleeve. It canm't be done!" I want it to done,and I am going to talk too John." Loy walked out of the Lunch room to John's office with Dan at his heels.
In John'office Loy stated his demands. Dan reminded Loy of a statement that Loy said in a restrurant In Taft after the Tracking and rate of descent tests, Dan said, "Loy, I want to remind of what you said in Taft. when "I ask you how to you rate the Crossbow main?" And you replied, "It is the best parachute I have ever jumped!" And I then asked, "Better than the Paracommander?" And you said, "Hell yes, you can't slow it down, it does not have brakes." Loy's response was, "I want the rate of descent reduce by one foot!" The argument went on for abour 10 to 15 minutes. The John said, "Dan, just do it.!" Shortly after the meeting, Loy left. It was not over. End of Part !5.

I remember a friend of mine coming back from Raeford one weekend and telling me about jumping with members of the Russian team. They didn't speak much English, but apparently *everyone* understood what, "HEY! Who stepped on that frog??!!" meant.

Hey...I spent some time in Russia a few years ago...

Between the food & booze, the aromatic 'venting'
produced by those people would knock the proverbial
'young buzzard of a shit wagon' at 300 paces!
:o

I was shocked a lit match never sent us ALL
into the next world!:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Part 16.
The people later that Loy went PCA headquarters in Monterey, California and talked to the PCA Director and got a ticket to Pioneer Parachute Company. while there he had them modify the Paracommander and showed them how to put the brakes on the Canopy, The people at Security did not know this until they got to Fresno Caifornia where the U.S.Team was holding practice and training.
Dan Abbott Redrew th canpy drawing made a new set of patterns for the canopy, sleeve and main pack flaps. The redesigned Crossbow prototype was made
and some flight tests were made and it was determined the redesigned canopy had a slight lateral oscillation, but severe enough that it could interfer with accuracy in spot landings. There was virtually no data on canopies with zero porosity fabric.
Stability would have be restored through experiments with slotting until stability was restored.
Dan changed to fabric in the crown area to standard porosity 1.1 oz nylonfabric,. Security ran out of time, the canopies had to be made for the team.
End of Part 16.

Part 17. The vote.
The 19 Crossbow systems were delivered to the U.S.Team in Fresno by John Maggi and Dan Abbott.
The Team then jumped the Crossbows with the exception of Loy Brydon, he jumped the Paracommander in place of the Crossbow main canopy. Several other members also jumped the P.C., then they had a secret vote.
All of the members voted for the Crossbow harness and container. Seventeen voted for the PC and two voted for the Crossbow, Susie Clements and Jerry Bourquin. I said to John, it does not matter. We have a signed agreement! Deke Sonnichsen was in a bad situation. He had a mutiny on his hands. John asked Dan what he thought, "We have an agreement! They are obligated to use Security Crossbow equipment, if not we take all the stuff home."
Discussion went back and forth with the Team set on the P.C. and the Cross harness and container. Dan was pissed and flatly stated, "You must abide by the Agreement." After about an hour or so, John Maggi said OK." Loy Brydon won, and Security was stuck. Security furnished everything but the Main canopy., The story is not over. End of Part 17.

Part 18.
Dan Abbott had looked at the P.C. and saw the long sleevthat went frm the skirt to the end of the roof bridlelines. He asked " How is the opening?" Loy had replied, "A little hard." Dan said, "I would think so." And walked away. Dan said the were having skirt openings and they instaneous high G opening. At terminal the men around 15 to 20 g, and 30 to 40 for the women. It is a function of the force divided by the persons weight. The force is a function
of velocity at opening.
When every body got their P.Cs. the girl started complaing that the harness shock was hurting them.
Some had demanded we add more padding on the saddle and chest strap. There was no amount of explaining that the forces they were getting had nothing to do with the harness, that it was the long Pioneer sleeve. They eventully got the Crossbow Sleeve through the efforts of Susie Clements. this ended Security's experience with PCA. Dan has not talked Loy since. The U.S.Team won the world meet in Austria in 1964. The moral of the story is, "Be careful who you deal with." In the future, Security had their own teams, The Thunderbow Team and The Sierra Team. The Sierra Main Canopy was the 24 ft Protoype Crossbow made with 1 oz sero porosity fabric. You could put is in a shoe box!
End of Story.

That was a great read. All of that happened before I was even born. I always love reading about the roots of our sport though. The pictures were great as well, now I know what a jesus string is, and why it was there. Thanks guys! ;)

Greenie in training.

Hi guy's and gals

Wasn't there a piggyback made by [:/](senior moment) that had a zipper connecting the reserve continer to the main container.

I'm guessing that would give the owner a option:S. Never saw one in the real world......could be just in dream or nightmare[:/].

Hurry befor we get to old to remember this stuff, or start making it up.

I know maybe we could start a skydiving museum:):D

R.I.P.