historian

DC-3's

I remember Sox.. haven't seen him in awhile...He was a nice guy.

-------------------------------------------------------
he was a nice guy last time I saw him was at the 90 wffc......it seems like he was crewing on agent orange at the time.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

The first time that I jumped the DC-3 that crashed in Alaska was when the registration number was N109Z; red, white, and black at the time, circa 1973(?) and at the old Z-Hills when Jim Hooper ran the place. Then, it was repainted light blue and royal blue and the registration was changed to N111ST (Sky Train). The date of the crash in AK was 07-01-81; almost 24 years ago to the day. I can't remember the pilots but I do believe that Greg Wirth was crewing on that flight and died along with the pilots.

Fred,
That's correct....Greg Wirth was a friend from when I lived and jumped in Wisconsin in the mid 1970s. Gary Hannah was the pilot.

pms

Your reply should almost go in the 'Ever jumped with anyone famous' thread...!:ph34r:

Mr. Douglas certainly qualifies!B|

Yeah, what a ship!

My last jump was out of ol' Mr. D: 13.5 over Deland. Traveling in style!

Blue w/cu,

Bravoniner

P.S. This is probably the subject of another thread somewhere, but whatever happened to Mr. D? I seem to remember hearing the owners laid her (him?) up after blowing an engine and, after one thing and another, the airplane never got returned to service.

My last jump was out of ol' Mr. D: 13.5 over Deland. Traveling in style!

The Professional Parachute Team I jump with has some 'weird' history with Mr. D...

Years ago, a person that jumped with the team on occation decided to assist in our advertising campaign and contracted to have the team logo painted on the tail.

Came as quite a surprise to us ON the team...not to mention the team OWNER that eventually got the bill!:S

We really don't advertise to 'skydivers' as very few of them organize airshows or professional sports events!;)

There IS a quick glimpse of the logoed tail during the night jump sequence of the movie Dropzone.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If the newbies knew how much fun 55 people in a DC3 can be we'd be seeing turbo DC3's everywhere.

It was possible to stowaway on the DC3 and there was often a gaggle trying to sneak on in the confusion .

Best fun from a DC3? Get out last ... with a mate and swoop down past the different groups of relworkers. To catch the first people was sort of impossible given the delay between stack-ups.
One time I was running for the door and the floor climbed up and planted my face on itself leaving my to crawl to the door and get blown out.

I want to do it again !!!

Strange to come across posts about the crash in '78...Few comments.

Aircraft was carrying 10-way speed star competitors...not 8-way teams. It was an elevator cable that jammed not the rudder cable(s). The aircraft did rotate, climbed steeply, stalled dropping left wing, then leveling out as pilot stomped in right rudder before it pancaked into corn field on the airport. Believe 12 persons ended up in Richmond Memorial Hospital...there were certainly more than one injured. A jumper from Utah by the door exited the plane when it stalled fearing it would go in on its side an likely cartwheel into oblivion. He hit the earth and so did the aircraft which almost slid over him...he was next to the exit door when he & the aircraft came to a stop and everyone started piling out. Dennis Murphy was sitting with back to starboard bulkhead separating pilot area from 'passenger' area. Aircraft impacted with both engines at full power, causing both to separate. Right engine spun under belly of aircraft with prop blade coming up through the floor, grabbing Murphy's jumpsuit leg fabric and pinning him upside down to the bulkhead. He had to cut his jumpsuit to be released (without injury and to be able to continue jumping at the meet). That blade nearly impalled another jumper on AIRLINE, who a second before leaned forward and out of path of prop blade reaching to put on his helmet when he realized they were going in. On impact, left engine's hub spun into pilot's side of fuseledge, bounced off and then sent a prop blade slicing through mail door and into back of R Catlette, who sustained the most serious injuries of the accident.

Aircraft should have never rotated as it should have been shut down when pilot couldn't push yoke forward (which he was trying...repeatedly)...however, since it did rotate...pilot probably saved all by regaining lift on stalled wing and leveling aircraft before impact.

The aircraft was reportedly one of Branch's (Chief Pilot at Nationals) and reportedly the only uninsured jump aircraft at meet (?)

An AD Notice resulted from accident...apparently first issued in several years for DC3/C47's

Next time I jumped that had Murphy on the same load, my main malfunctioned.

Here we are boarding a Three in McKinney, Texas for one of my early failed SCR attempts.

There are others here that, in my feeble recollection, are in McKinney also. It could be McGregor, Texas.

Whiney voice, "Premier member should get to upload bigger pics!" (In case you can't read the tail number)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Southern Cross is at WFFC (www.freefall.com). This old girl looks like it could use a paint job, and there are a few holes in the cabin where there ought to be rivets, but she runs strong and CLIMBS!!!! Love this plane!!! Pilot is an old hand, lots of C 46 time and was chief pilot for America West b4 retirement. Co pilot is owners's kid and very much in love with DC 3s. So glad its here.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

At WFFC 2005 we got 15,000 ft for $21 in DC 3 Southern Cross. It was stripped out and had Wright 1820-76 engines. This particular plane was a very spirited climber. I didnt think any DC 3 could climb like that with a load of jumpers. I remember some really slow climbs in Bill Dause's DC 3 and also in that beat up looking one that used to fly at Elsinore in the mid 70's. Jump a DC 3 while you still can. They won't be around forever. Same goes for the Twin Beech. Remember the once plentiful Lockheed Lodestar? Not even one Lodestar jumpship remains active today.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Yeah, I remember "Socks". He was a cool dude. I always think of watching the 120 way world record out of the c-130 at the World Skydiving Meet in "86. Truett Miley and Socks were "super floating", not even touching the plane, but holding on to the top of the jumper's rig who was in front of them. And they closed 110-120th, man thats some floating!!

Yeah, I remember Turkey Meet at Z-hills in the late 80's. Had Mr. D, Southern Cross, and Our Douglas. As I recall we called it "Hour and a half Douglas" because that's about how long it took to climb to altitude.
Anybody remember Lucaya Air? Wonder where that heap is.
BSBD
Henry

Greek Air Force (HAF-Hellenic air Force) had in operation from 1944 88 C-47 (military version of DC-3).
Today they are still 3 C-47 operational (one Korean War veteran!!!!).
They were always used as paratroopers jump ships and for military Free-fall parachuting.
On 1979 the best instructor of Greek army parachute school rent one C-47 from Air Force and start skydiving activities on MEGARA drop zone.
This appears to be the first attempt for civilian skydiving activities in Greece.

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/hangar/2002/dakota/dakota.htm

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/hangar/2002/dakota/kk156.htm

http://www.haf.gr/en/media/item.asp?id=34

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0669710&size=L

http://hafcphotos.cs.net/photo_viewer_detail.cfm?photoid=179816

operations during Korean war:

http://koti.welho.com/msolanak/koreaengl.html

PARATROOPERS:

http://koti.welho.com/msolanak/alexip.html

BSBD
Henry

Lucaya Air is dead. I saw her in Laredo, TX sitting on the ramp minus an engine when I started going down there with my old charter flying job in 2000. About three years ago I flew in there after they had a hurricane coast in and hit Laredo. Lucaya Air was on her back, flipped over from the winds. Her vertical tail was smashed and the wings were bent. I was told that the owners had just hung new engines and were about to get her flying. They had already removed the engines when I saw her broken. I flew in there a few months later and she was gone. The guys at the airport said she was cut up and hauled away. Maybe you drank a beer from a can she was recycled into.

Jack

BSBD
Henry

Lucaya Air is dead. I saw her in Laredo, TX sitting on the ramp minus an engine when I started going down there with my old charter flying job in 2000. About three years ago I flew in there after they had a hurricane coast in and hit Laredo. Lucaya Air was on her back, flipped over from the winds. Her vertical tail was smashed and the wings were bent. I was told that the owners had just hung new engines and were about to get her flying. They had already removed the engines when I saw her broken. I flew in there a few months later and she was gone. The guys at the airport said she was cut up and hauled away. Maybe you drank a beer from a can she was recycled into.

Jack

That’s how all us old relics of skydiving end up. [:/]
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I jumped Agent Orange at thenationals at richmond in the 70,s It was set up as a crop duster ,thus the name .No one told the pilot that you didnt have to keep climbing after the first pass We would let the others go first or second by the time it was our turn we would be over 15000. iemember jumping the Bird Machine at Z-Hills with the tv onwatching Wheel of fortune and made the pilot go around because no one had the answer yet. Mr Douglas is sitting in a field in kansas or Missouri I last heard.

Jack, who were you flying charter for? Used to be in the jet charter business myself. You probably don't remember this but you rode from Muskogee to Dallas with me one time after the Nationals in the mid 80s and we did a demo with Jerry Rouillard into something, maybe the Cotton Bowl or a rodeo, just can't remember the specifics..... or much of the drive, either.:D:D
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.