jtval

start of "BOOGIE"

ok as we all know SKYDIVE BOOGIES are as close to a "MEET" or "CONVENTION" that we know of. but why did we choose the word "BOOGIE" to describe it?

any on e have a clue? is it like the slang term "lets BOOGIE?" or is there an odd meaning for it? curious how It got started. when I say it to my devoted whuffo followers they look at me wierd until I describe it as a MEET....

maybe we chose it just to confuse those whuffos!;)
My photos

My Videos

Interesting question. I started jumping in 1973 and I'm fairly sure that the term was in use then, but I'm not 100% certain. Maybe look through old parachutists and other pubs to see when it crept into use. I don't think it has any obscure etymology, and pretty much just comes from an application of the phrase "let's boogie" which has been widely used in colloquial english.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

From rec.skydiving:

A bit of History: In 1972 shortly after the release of the first skydiving movie "Gypsy Moths" to the public, the stunt double for Burt Lancaster, Garth Taggart, was asked to do something with skydivers in his home town of Richmond, Indiana. Until then skydivers only gathered for competition at Confrence(Regions) meets or the Nationals held by USPA. Garth decided to have a gathering for fun, brought in some Twin Beeches and a DC 3. The Richmond Boys Club sponsered the ferry fees and the call went out to all the Drop Zones in the area. The turnout was phenomenal, lots of jumps and lots of just plain fun. In the 60's and 70's there was a cartoon character called the Boogie man best known for his phrase "Keep on Truckin' " Garth decided to borrow the name Boogie and became the first "Boogie man." The original Boogie turned into the Nationals at the end of the 70's. The sport was growing rapidly and had a bit of a "motorcycle gang" reputation. Skydivers were banned from the City of Richmond, In for several years, due to their excesses. In 1986 the Boogie was brought back to Richmond, and is going strong every Labor Day Weekend. The boogie is second only to the convention in size and number of jumps. Garth Taggart was home in 1998 for the Boogie and continued to jump and have fun.

cpoxom has the Richmond Boogie history correct, including the "Keep on Trucking" cartoon character. I'll just add one more fact. In the 2nd annual "Richmond Skydiving Show" Souvenir Program, there is a list of skydiving terms. Boogie is listed. Boogie: The term was brought back from the New Zealand International Parachuting Competition. It applies to having a great time either jumping, dancing, partying, or going away to a parachuting meet, etc.
Garth Taggart SCR 38

I started jumping in the early 70's when we called boogies "jump meets". Later in the 70's they were called boogies. I don't have a clue how the name came about, but I've wondered about the same thing......Steve1

im glad they changed it to 'boogies' ..........

jump meets just didnt quite cut it as skydiving term!?! (not cool enough hehe)

I started in 73 also.In Covington,La.We had an annual Mardi Gras Parachute Meet...which started out as accuracy.....Then we had three man scrambles......three man...backloop....three man.When Greene County took over it changes to 10 way speed scrambles.At that time the name changed to boogie to draw people that didnt want to compete...but just have fun....or boogie.Also...Man changes to Way.....PC

>Garth Taggart SCR 38

Holy shit!

Tag is here!

Dropzone.com is like a very large party
where I keep running into people I haven't
seen in a very long time.

Ancient jump stories flooding into memory ...

Including that time when ... but no, I probably
shouldn't mention that one in public.

Wha's happenin' duuuude! ?? :-) :-)

Skr ( SCR-16)

Hey Garth, weren't you on the first 8 way ever completed? Seems to me I remember a picture of that 8 way and you were the one with his heels almost on his butt. Glad you found DZ.com. Be sure to relate some stories frome the old days for us to enjoy.

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

Ah come on, Skratch - we're not the public. This is all just a group of friends, here....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

is there any relation to the movie Boogie Nights ?? :P

I think it's simply incredible to have people like SKR and others which have more time in the activity than many of us have on the planet.
These guys certainly have loads of things to teach us about the Etiquette...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Skratch Garrison was part of "The Arvin Good Guys". He was part of the group of jumpers that defined how and what we do today. How many jumpers were born after 4/24/66? That is when Skratch got his SCR. There were only 14 awarded that year.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Jtval

I don't know which came first the chicken or the egg but I seem to remember hearing the term "Lets get down and boogie" pre skydiving.

And it wasn't being said by skydiversB|

Could have been beatnicks which were pre hipee.B|sp?

R.I.P.

Skratch Garrison was part of "The Arvin Good Guys". He was part of the group of jumpers that defined how and what we do today. How many jumpers were born after 4/24/66? That is when Skratch got his SCR. There were only 14 awarded that year.
Sparky

I was born 27 april 72, but skyborn only 15 may 2002... So I'm quite young and inexperienced... And love to learn from people who made everything possible and much easier for us.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

>Garth Taggart SCR 38

Holy shit!

Tag is here!

Dropzone.com is like a very large party
where I keep running into people I haven't
seen in a very long time.

Wha's happenin' duuuude! ?? :-) :-)

Skr ( SCR-16)

Skratch, were you part of the Arvin Good Guys in November '67 for the first ever RW competition (10-way star).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>were you part of the Arvin Good Guys in November '67 for the first ever RW competition (10-way star)

Yes.

If you're wanting to know more about some aspect
of this like who or how or why I can check my log
book or even my failing memory.

Skr