jwilson

Sted, NV

When I was a kid my uncle lived in Nevada , somewhere near Reno. Just down the road from his house there was a dropzone and i used to go down there and watch people land. This was the first place that I ever saw anyone skydiving. I think it was called Sted. This was around 1979, I was wondering if anyone knows if that place is still around. It would be fun to go make a jump there someday if it is.

Jay

Stead AFB ( now Stead Airport) is just 13 miles outside of Reno NV. The airport is the home of the National Air Races in September and it was the home of the USAF Survival School until the base closed in the late 1960's and was moved to Fairchild AFB its current home. A friend tells me he has seen people skydiving there but I have no idea who to contact. Perhaps contact the airport and ask.

Amazon

Ok, thanks for the reply. I don't know that I would actualy make it out there or not. But if I ever find myself in that area I may check it out. It would be cool to know if they still jump there. Thanks for the spelling correction too..:$

Jay

Hi jw,
Yup, ol' Clyde Blinco ran "Skydive Instead" till as mentioned above, got shut down. He used to have the old base paraloft behind the tower then the powers that be booted him out and he got a building just outside the north gate by the hanger they put the formula one and biplane class racers in. There was a big open field across the road from his building all the way to Red Rock Rd.!! When the Races were over, we'd go to Clydes and put up a couple of loads and land right there by the building. Great Fun, till he got shut down, a Drag! That was several years ago, don't remember exactly when, late 90's.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out