steve1

Bob Sinclair: What a Guy!

Searching the WWW for Bob Sinclair, I find this thread, register with dropzone.com, and add my $.02 about Bob who trained me, off student status after twelve jumps, taught me to pack my own chute since my third jump, showed me how to win accuracy competitions, and of course how to be a rambler. "What a Guy!". Understatement. What a Legend! In honor of Sir Skydiving Bob Sincalir, Ready...Set...Go, 28' Double L, Taft, CA, CA City, Perris, Lake Elsinore, bus, van, Glendale, CA....etc....thanks for the memories Bob. Lance.

Here are a couple of pictures of Bob from a few years ago. It was my 2000th. at one of the Old Farts at High Desert A/P in So. Cal. I look up and here he comes, no gloves, no helmet, no jumpsuit, no goggles and hand tracking his way in. He was wearing a piggyback rig but it did have a ripcord main. Appropriately it was out of Skip’s DC-3, 6MA.
He is the one with the red dot.

Sparky

Attachments: BobS.jpg (48.2 KB)
BSin.jpg (41.5 KB)

Wow I was in that. Upper right on the second pic. That was great jumping with Bob again... Ya it's funny to see him coming in with little more than a rig on...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

I heard that Bob has Cancer. Don't know what kind. He's in his 90's. This came out in a conversation at The Bombshelter at Perris 2 wks. ago. We were talking about how Cancer seems to be affecting some great skydivers. Bill Newell and Gary Young both have it. Gary is responding to Chemo...I don't have an update on Bill who managed to go to Old Farts Reunion at Taft in May...
Sinclair bet me at Elsinore that I couldn't pin him bcuz he fell like a safe. I was bragging that I pinned Bob Sprague...I pinned Sinclair and he bought me a jump and a beer...Cool guy with a million stories...This was in the 70's...
Sandy

Thanks for the update Sandy. I only jumped with Bob once. He bet me I wouldn't jump a round and I did! I borrowed old military gear, belly reserve and all. Jim Papke loaned me his leather jacket. I have the picture somewhere. This was mid eighties I think. Anyway, I only got the edge of the target and Bob beat me!
D-11672

Saw Bob at Deland today. Got him to tell me the car under the semi story. It would have surprised me, but its Bob. Kind of threw the wuffos near us.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Bob was in Oscedo MI this summer the week before Tommys Tawas Boogie. They are both on the west shore of Lake Huron directly west of the thumb tip. Bob got an article printed in the paper before we did. He used to live with a sister around Battl Creek. She had cancer then soshe may have passed away by now. .

I met Bob at a WFFC in Rantoul. I kick myself for not asking him to sign my logbook.

Prior to Felix's balloon jump I'll bet the Johnny Carson jump that Bob set up had the largest TV audience. It did a LOT to popularize skydiving. It appeared to go flawlessly and the filming was really well done. Carson was a brave guy and a decent flyer. Celebrity jumpers don't always do so well. Look at the videos of Richard Branson's (Virgin Airlines owner) jump to see how badly some go.

I'd love to see Bob appear on Jay Leno's Tonight show (or Conin's or Jimmy's) and be interviewed about the Carson jump. Then, he talks the host into making an AAF. Next show presents the video. Now is the time to do it, while the audience is still on a Felix high. The bump in viewership would be huge. Everyone would tune in to see Jay Leno in freefall. It would be full circle for Bob Sinclair.

Just a thought.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.