ralu

What was your first canopy?

I think I saw the red & white Howard over in the Columbus area once.I jumped from the 650hp one during practice at the 64 nationals in Salt Lake City.It was called THE YELLOW CAB and belonged to a guy from Denver.It was a real (ROCKET).I don't know if West bought it from him or someone else but it was the same one that went on it's back at Xenia.I think it ran out of fuel and landed in a corn field.POP

The 650hp one was bought from someone in Illinois, maybe the same one as there were only a few converted. It did go on it's back once but NOT from fuel starvation. During the landing roll out on a winter day the main gear broke through a small patch of ice in a low area on the runway. It was only a few inch drop but enough to start it over in very slow motion, the pilot could not keep the tail down. New prop, some wing tip and vertical stabilizer repair it was back in the air within weeks.

Yes it was a rocket!
GW685,D3888,C5052,SCS843

Dragonfly 225 White and Blue in a Racer SST with a 26ft lopo reserve. Jumped it for about 125 jumps, then went to Triathalon 160, Viper 135, Viper 120. The dragonfly was the first canopy I owned but I jumped all kinds of other club crap before I got the dragonfly. It was all good though.

What if the hokey-pookey is what it's all about?
:o

My first canopy was a red, white and blue, tie-dyed 28 foot 5 TU. I blew it up and had to cut it away with double-shot capewells (not shot and a halfs).

To replace it I got another 28 foot and gutted the 550 from skirt to skirt. It made about a lunch bag's worth of pack volume difference in the B12 that I had it in. It was a 3 TU for more speed but a slower turn.

My reserve was a 28' flat twill that I used at terminal with low belly mount rings. UGH! footprints on my Bell helmet from that.

I then inherited a rings and ropes Strato Star when a friend went in. Jumped that till my Strato Flyer arrived and on and on and on...

Pioneer Titan 265 in a Racer.

It has accuracy modifications to it, like soft cells (bottom surface vents), and shortened lines. It also has experimental upper surface slots, across the whole canopy, facing rearward, above the B lines. I'm not sure how that mod affects flight characteristics, but it makes for an awful lot of holes. It's good for accuracy, because the crappy flare makes one want to hit the peas.

It served as my main canopy for 400+ jumps from '91 to '02, and I still use it as my second rig. Despite its slow nature, old F-111 like that is great for some things:
-- trashing. People have looked up and thought they were seeing a mal, then realized that it was 'just me'.
-- toggle hook turns under 100'
-- taking to Bridge Day (Actually that's another Titan I have, less baffed, with a tail pocket I put on.)
-- low RW. (Not low like 1970s craziness, but just nice little 3 ways from 3 grand on bad weather days, the sort of thing you don't want to do with sub-100 ft ZP wings.)

28 double L in '73, went to elsinore and bought a modified dactyl, commonly called double death off the guy who made them, forgot his name but he was big into hang gliding (help with his name would be appreciated) that was an interesting canopy, didn't like opening very much
He who laughs last, didn't get the joke

Wasn't Jim Handbury the Paradactyl guy? I did a quick web search and didn't confirm that, although it is in my memory banks. One of my teammates in the old days had a Handbury rig with a dactyl in it. Scary, even then. Not a good photo, but its rig worn by the guy in the lightest jumpsuit in this photo

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Not counting the student and rental canopies I flew, my first (um ... beer) canopy which I owned was a Triathlon 220 which I used for about 50ish jumps. Then I went on to a:

Sabre2 190 (90+ jumps)
Sabre2 170 (220+ jumps)
Crossfire2 139 (173 jumps and counting)

and pretty soon I should take possession of a used Spectre 150 which I plan to use in a 2nd rig for wingsuit jumps, having a 2nd rig for boogies and most importantly to get some experience flying a smallish (for me) seven cell canopy so that I won't be freaked out on possible reserve rides on my respective 143 reserves to be used in both of my new rigs (one is brand spanking new and the other is used but in good shape). Oh I also have a FLiK 293 being built for me as we speak, but don't tell my mom. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Wasn't Jim Handbury the Paradactyl guy? I did a quick web search and didn't confirm that, although it is in my memory banks. One of my teammates in the old days had a Handbury rig with a dactyl in it. Scary, even then. Not a good photo, but its rig worn by the guy in the lightest jumpsuit in this photo

It was Jim Handbury, the boy wonder. He was partners with Gary Douris.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I certainly do remember that. Someone in this part of the world has a Howard up and running I heard last week. Have just found your postings George and they bring back lots of pleasant memories.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

Mine was a 28 ft., orange & white flat circular 7-double L (recut to a 7-TU after a couple jumps), deployed by a Popenhager bag and double (stacked ) pilot chutes. Replaced after a dozen jumps by a blue/white checkerboard PC, which streamered on my first jump on it. (It had been rigged with way too much slack in the steering lines, which blew into and tied off the stabilizer panels.) Chopped it and got a brisk ride to the ground on my 24 ft. non-steerable TWILL reserve.

Stand-ups were so rare you logged 'em. Different times!

Bravoniner

1968, a 28 ft very used surplus C 9 orange and white with a tiny T mod (not TU). It didnt really have any significant fwd drive. Turning just changed your view, not your direction of travel. Used to jump that canopy in 15-20 mph winds, insane landings. When someone finally let me jump their PC I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Now older and wiser, I fly a Volvo (actually a Triathlon 190). The good old days of skydiving were certainly good for orthopedic surgeons.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

First Jump @135lbs - T-10 static line.
First owned - 28' C-8 7TU all white.
Next (and last) - Strato-Star (rings & ropes, then slider).

Jumped about all the squares available at Z-Hills at the time, sled, foil, plane, cloud, etc. Known as Roger Ramair for a while. Even had a few rides on a 400ft cargo square, but no jumps. We pulled it up on a 1000' of line behind a car down the back runway!

BTW, At Z-Hills and Deland in 74,75,76, you needed 200 jumps before being allowed to jump a square.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519