ralu

What was your first canopy?

mine was a 28ft 7 tu. i wasn't allowed to jump it untill i had 25 jumps because it was to fas for students so i had to rent a double L untill then

Mike,

Same here. I bought a 7-TU on my 3rd. jump but they said it was too high performance for me to jump while still a student. :P:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The first canopy I jumped as a student was a military MC1-1B. After my prerequisite static line jumps I actually made free fall jumps with it!

The first canopy I owned was a Cruiselite XL made by Para Flite.

John

wow the first perosn i have come across that not only knows what para flite but also has/had one!

para flite turbo zx
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

The first canopy I jumped as a student was a military MC1-1B. After my prerequisite static line jumps I actually made free fall jumps with it!

John

wow the first perosn i have come across that not only knows what para flite but also has/had one!

para flite turbo zx

Lots and lots of us had Paraflite canopies...Clouds, Stars, Flyers, Swifts....personally I jumped a Cruiselite Beta for several hundred jumps and loved it.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

John

para flite turbo zx

Ever hear of a CruiseAir by ParaFlite? It was built before the Cruiselites.

Sparky

Ever hear of a CruiseAir by ParaFlite?

My ex-husband bought one for his first canopy. Wicked end-cell closures, so he had me cross-port it.

He said that he had to leave, after hearing me say "oops" and "shit" for about the 10th time, as I was sitting inside his new canopy with a hot knife :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ever hear of a CruiseAir by ParaFlite?

My ex-husband bought one for his first canopy. Wicked end-cell closures, so he had me cross-port it.

He said that he had to leave, after hearing me say "oops" and "shit" for about the 10th time, as I was sitting inside his new canopy with a hot knife :ph34r:

Wendy W.

Kinda tells a whole story there Wendy.....;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Aw c'mon. Actually, he wasn't even my husband yet then :D. He married me AFTER that!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The week before I cross ported my some guy browed a hot knife from a rigger in the Elsinore Ghetto. He then proceeded to cross port the top skin. :S:o

Needless to say it took me the better part of 2.5 hours to cross port mine.:P:)
Sparky

Nice to see this thread back in circulation. Since the old suplus rig with the PC, I went on to the following: got a 1978 Hanbury rig with one of the Kevlar reserve ripcords that were a popular experiment at the time. Main canopy was a 21' Sparrow, which was a very small packing lightweight PC clone for relative workers. Absolutely the smallest lightest canopy I ever owned, it opened great and landed alright mostly. Reserve was a Navy conical.

First square was a Cobra 10, which I thought was a pretty decent canopy until it started to tear up at the load bearing ribs after only sixty some jumps. Sent ot back to the factory for repair and then it tore up again at about 100 jumps, so that was the end of that that ("Cpbra 10, People 0"). Got a Viking Superlite next, really liked that one a lot. Also bought a used Security LoPo reserve. Had the original "tapewell" cutaways replaced with a 3-Ring conversion and replaced the Hanbury pilot chute with one of Hank Asciutto's models, which were vaned like a MA-1. That opened the Viking SO fast I got bruises until I learned to roll the nose back a whole lot more. Stopped jumping in 1980 and in 1982 sold the rig for a great price to a kid who was washing airplanes for jump money, we were both happy with the deal. 22 years passed by...

Bought a beautiful used Javelin, with a PD193 reserve & Cypres. The whole rig was 3 years old and had been maintained immaculately by the original owner (who posts at these forums). Was supposed to have had the original 210 Spectre, but came with a 190 instead. Later in the year I negotiated a deal to swap out the 190 for a 210 Pilot and that's what I'm jumping today. I will be jumping this rig for a verrrry long time to come.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

First square was a Cobra 10, which I thought was a pretty decent canopy until it started to tear up at the load bearing ribs after only sixty some jumps.

You're the only other person I've come across that owned one of those things. It was the first square I owned. My Cobra 10 opened so hard I couldn't get out of bed the next day after a couple of jumps. I put about 60-70 jumps on mine before buying a new Racer with a Pegasus and a Swift Reserve...I thought I'd gone to heaven...nice openings & great landings.

I sold the Cobra 10 to a guy who put about 4 jumps on it before it blew up on opening. It was a really hard opening..obviously...and he never jumped again.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

and that's what I'm jumping today. I will be jumping this rig for a verrrry long time to come.

LOL unless you break your leg again.

bozo

Cold, thats cold. Especially coming for the bionic man. :)
Sparky

and that's what I'm jumping today. I will be jumping this rig for a verrrry long time to come.

LOL unless you break your leg again.

bozo

Cold, thats cold. Especially coming for the bionic man. :)
Sparky

Who better for it to come from?
Im the "been there done that" poster boy.
Besides.....he knows I luv him :o).

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Hmmm, progression of rigs.

* 1st Jump 7TU T-10 static line.
* 1st owned 7TU 28 C-9 in B12 with belly wart.
* Added one-shot capewell conversion kit.
* Added Poptop reserve.
*Went to work for Bill Booth and built myself one of the first Wonderhogs (one shots there too).
* Had first (and only) mal on C-9 with Wonderhog, One shots worked great, plastic main ripcord thrown away, plastic reserve ripcord deployed my 26' Navy Con.
* Bought first Strato Star sold in Florida through Booth.
* Went to work for Bill Buchman and built myself an Eagle, stuck with One Shots as I didn't think the 3 ring really offered anything over them (except extra maintenance).
* Started building my own design, same one shots and same canopies.

I jumped a lot of other canopies to try them, but never changed what I had. It worked every time, why mess with success? I still think a properly tuned, properly packed Strato Star will open every time.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

My first jump was the T-10' My first one I bought was an old ucky colored PC someone tried to dye it and it came out UGLY! My next was a Mini-Cloud that opened so hard I grabbed my front reserve to lessen the shock. I lost that on a cut away that migrant workers ran away with. My next was a Para-sled #00013 bought from a guy named Robin after he broke his hip riding a mal down. I had several cut aways on it until Scott Hubbard put a slider on it and shortened the lines. Never maled again.

My very first canopy was a 24 flat circular my parents bought at a garage sale for a dollar! (I was 7). That was followed years later by a P.C. , slider equipped starlite, strato flyer, 7 cell flyer, Cirrus Cloud, Dragonfly, Maverone, and Firebolt

Ist Jump on a Mk 1 PC.

1st canopy a B4 harness and container with a Delta 2 Parawing, with the big fat coloured lines and 6ft length of conveyer belt attached as an OSI. Had a reputation as a Malfunction machine, but I never had a mal on it in the 100 odd jumps I did on it.

Lent it to a mate one time, and of course, he chopped it!!. Upgraded to a Strato Star in a Mk 1 Wonderhog, hand deploy with 3 rings. Thought myself the bees knees......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....