ralu

What was your first canopy?

My bad, he's bringing out an old sport canopy from the 70's that "is same dimensions and radius" as the military version. I hope we can fit that in a Student Jav, we can fit a manta in there, we can fit anything!!

sds
=========Shaun ==========

The first one I jumped was some sort of modified military surplus, I have no idea what it was, probably a t-10 t-u or double LL

I did not jump a ram-air till I had 56 jumps but I did 4-way RW on rounds with belly mount reserves before that....In those days you did not buy parachutes until you could afford a square.

My first canopy I owned was a Para-flite Strato-flyer.....

It had a real short life when it opened over the tail of a cessna 182.

My first 48 jumps were on military surplus round parachuites.
Then I did 1.5 jumps on Cross Bows.
My 51st jump was on an Eddie Grimm copy of a Strato-Star, packed in a Niagara Parachutes Six-Pack container with a 26 foot Baby Cobra reserve. I promptly bought the entire rig.
That was considered a radical transition on 1979.

I remember your gr/bl/wh Pap Jimmy. Jimmy was my jumpmaster at the old Ripcord Club in W. Bloomfield, NY. You also had a red, white and blue Pap as well.

My first rig, as you'll remember Jim, was a purple and pink tie dyed 28 ft cheapo, with a 5-TU mod cut in the back, packed in a B-12 container. About a year later I got one of the original 1964 R/W/B Paracommanders and somewhere dug up a sage green Pop Top container for my 24 ft reserve (tr vent steering mod). I loved that rig with all my heart.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I remember your gr/bl/wh Pap Jimmy. Jimmy was my jumpmaster at the old Ripcord Club in W. Bloomfield, NY. You also had a red, white and blue Pap as well.

My first rig, as you'll remember Jim, was a purple and pink tie dyed 28 ft cheapo, with a 5-TU mod cut in the back, packed in a B-12 container. About a year later I got one of the original 1964 R/W/B Paracommanders and somewhere dug up a sage green Pop Top container for my 24 ft reserve (tr vent steering mod). I loved that rig with all my heart.

:);)
never put too many jumps on a PC personally ,,
maybe a dozen...and always liked the Papillon... Yes Tom your tye dye was VERY trendy,,, as I recall..and The PopTop Chest Mount reserve...?????
...:oB| the slickest gear out there at the time..;);). hahahaha. and Yes I bet we all have a bit of parachute gear, which will always remain near and dear to each of us,,,,, I' m sure !!!!!!.. MY first Strato-Cloud sits in a closet ten feet from where I am at this very moment......:ph34r:;) hahaha it has been ceremoniously "retired".........:D

This was my first, too. A 28' 7TU (gutted the lines to make it lighter), and then after the mandatory 100 round jumps, a Strao Star with the rings and rope. In a SST.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

stratostar.JPG

RAVEN III
(Main & res.):)Had it up until Aug. 2001 when I cut-away at CrossKeys.
Then I jumped the Raven III reserve but, it only counts as 1 jump[:/]
On breezy days I would land with a backward jog.
-Grant

The first canopy I owned was a beautiful blue 28 foot Hustler serial # 0001. It was produced by Lew Sanborn and had been stored in mothballs. Just after opening shock I could often smell the odor of mothballs. That odor still reminds me of those days.

More Starlite Trivia
The Starlite was also known as a “See-Star” based on its reputation for hard openings. Some referred to it as the only canopy that you were relieved if it opened and if it didn’t. I have a photo of a Starlite and PC CRW stack somewhere. I will post it if I can find it.

More Starlite Trivia
The Starlite was also known as a “See-Star” based on its reputation for hard openings. Some referred to it as the only canopy that you were relieved if it opened and if it didn’t. I have a photo of a Starlite and PC CRW stack somewhere. I will post it if I can find it.

Yes, I owned one of the pre-slider, pre-relief slotted starlites. It put me in the hospital. I still distinctly remember tracking and debating whether or not to pull. Nice after opening, and nice pack volume though.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History