jaymundo

Chet Poland

I met "Smitty the jumper" at Maize Ks drop zone in 1970. He made a static line jump that day and sprained his ankle landing a "paracommander". He had some of his old gear with him. Man, was that scary stuff. His lines were attached to a steering wheel from a model t Ford. Silk canopy and all. He sure could tell some stories over the beer after dark. What a character!!!!

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

Photo Of Chet Poland and his little dog.Taken at the Canadian Nationals at Abbotsford Parachute Center Abbotsford BC.July 1969.He signed my jump #211.He was POPS #261.During his trip to Abbotsford he stopped at a dropzone in the US.The van tires were so worn the jumpers decided they were unsafe and donated a new set and had them installed on his van.

Chet Poland died in 1992, I don't know how many jumps he had.

I had the misfortune to run over and kill Chet's dog Suzie at Xenia Ohio. This must have beem circa 1986.

Chet had another dog called Suzie but he always carried the ashes of Suzie Mark 1 in his van.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

I'm not so sure Chet had to pay for those tandems in DeLand. I think Bob just let him. I had the pleasure of being on one of his tandem jumps, possibly on his 90th birthday. And his last dog was Greta. I used to have a lot of talks with him in his trailer, after buying cigarettes from him.

I can't vouch for the veracity of this tale, but I heard it from Chet himself. I may have a few facts messed up. It's been a while since I last saw him. But according to Chet, he started jumping back in the barnstorming days when he, his brother and another guy would fly from place to place, fair to fair, and put on a show. I guess Chet's brother was the pilot, the other guy was the parachutist and Chet was - I can't remember, a mechanic maybe. Well, the other guy who did all the jumping went on to other things and that left Chet and his brother without anyone to do the jumping. His brother more or less looked at Chet and said something along the lines of, "Hey, I'm the pilot." So Chet's first jump was a demo and all his instruction was from watching the other guy. That's it. What a guy. No wonder he's a hero to some of us.

I have many fond memories of Chet at both Xenia and Deland. How bad we all felt when Suzie wandered behind David's car. The most vivid though, was a rainy night sitting in his van next to Silly's shop in Deland. We were drinking "Chet Pops" and I excused myself to step out for a pee. Thought I was being very smart by standing under the overhang of the roof to stay dry. Would have been smarter if I hadn't been standing on that hill of fire ants! Chet thought that was pretty funny and offered me another Pop! (I think it was a double.)

Bill Sutton

I first talked to Chet at the 1968 Nationals. I only got to talk with him for a few minutes and then had to fly back to Taft. A few years later I spotted his van at the Nationals in Oklahoma. I went over to say hello. I was sure he would not remember me from our last and only very short talk in AZ. Before I could say anything, Chet looked up and said with a big smile, "hello Dennis, I have that pin you were looking for in AZ a few years back".

Now, that was a guy that liked people. And I have never talked with anyone that didn't like and respect Chet Poland.

...I have never talked with anyone that didn't like and respect Chet Poland.

As I recall, Bill Newell wasn't a big Chet fan. Something about selling SCR stuff and Newell kicking Chet's ass.>:(

Chet seemed to be at all the boogies in the 70s and 80s. He really was a great guy.

Kevin K.

I "think" I heard something going on between Chet and Bill years ago about the subject. I'll ask Bill about it at the Taft reunion / Ash dives on May 29th. I have always been a friend of both Chet and Bill, but it would be real disappointing if I hear they did get into a fight. Both are small guys, but Chet was about 1/2 Bill's size.
But after saying that, I remember getting into a real good one with a close friend (my brother) at SCR Stumbles at Elsinore back then. The only thing that disappointed me on that one was, I lost big time.

It sound like you had a good launch today. I've been tracking the space program from as far back as 1957. When Sputnik (Spootnik) was launched our teacher brought in a radio to class so we could hear the signal as it was being tracked. These days I review pictures of Mars, the other planets in our system and their moons. I am one that thinks earth is not the only DZ in the area.

I can remember hearing about Sky King driving down to see one for the first Shuttle launches. Too bad he didn't get to make it all the way.

Keep up the great work Kevin.

Regards,
SCR-216

>I'm not so sure Chet had to pay for those tandems in DeLand.

That sounds like something Bob would do. I had the pleasure of jumping in a 'several-way', with Bob taking Chet as his tandem passenger, on his 85th birthday. I still have the video, and enjoy watching it, remembering the great vibes of that day.
I still have the metric altimeter, bought from Chet, along a many T-shirts over time..... I never questioned the price of anything from Chet. He was always the first to open the hangar doors, and the guy that ran you out, in order to close them.... I saw him all over the country, enjoying the DZ life in the van..... A cool dude! And, as Bill Booth related those last few minutes with Chet, whatta nice way to exit this planet...
Practice random acts of kindness, and senseless beauty...

And, give money for Mr Douglas! www.mrdouglas.org

I can well remember Chet when he would show up at Zhills and camp in the parking lot in his van. We spent many an evening shooting the shit since I was staying in the old original building across from the Porter's hangar.
He was quite a guy...a true legend....he is missed....

I met Chet and Smitty many times and places .Always fun to hang with. It brought to mind another seasoned jumper Bob Sinclair last I heard he was still living in western Michigan. I have a phone number for his sisters place and might still be good. Just thought I would bring it up.What a reunion that would be with all three. The stories would go on for days.

Here he is at Deland in '86. He used to make a big pot of coffee every morning and you just helped yourself and left money in the 'honour' jar. Bob Hallet had some postcards printed of him and Chet in tandem freefall that he used to send to people.

Al :D