CrazyIvan

Are there traditions?

Hoop – long time no talk to or see. Good to see you’re still around and apparently doing well.

When you corrected Ron on the year Tony went in it got me thinking. After 41 years in this sport, visiting many drop zones, jumping with a myriad of individuals, and telling the same (albeit somewhat altered) jump stories 100’s of times, events and dates do become somewhat blurred, however neither year looked correct to me.

I was there that night so I dug out my log books to see if they would help. Based on my findings I am going to propose that it happened at the 1970 Turkey meet. I know we had a large California contingent that year as that was the same year we completed a 17 way star using jumpers from Florida, Illinois, California, Michigan, and Ontario (which, I believe, was the first formation of that size outside of California). I have attached a page from my log book with signatures from all the participants. I am sure some of these names will bring back memories.

So, I vote for 1970 as the correct year but, like I said earlier, my memory has developed some soft spots over the years.

On the original subject, I don’t know of any cast being made of the crater but I was at the memorial service in the morning when one individual planted “grass” seeds in the moist sand.

Dana Parker
SCR365

It's scary how many of those names I've jumped with (all but two I think)...

I started in Z-Hills in '73 and was told there had been only one fatality there and it was nineteen sixty something (I thought 68, but everyone has thrown out a different date, so who knows).

I know there were no casts made or parties for Giggles in '73 or Lou Jecker and Sabrina in '75. I don't think that was ever a Z-Hills tradition.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Hoop – long time no talk to or see. Good to see you’re still around and apparently doing well.

So, I vote for 1970 as the correct year but, like I said earlier, my memory has developed some soft spots over the years.

Dana Parker
SCR365

Well, as I live and breathe - Dana Parker. How the decades fly. I'm fully willing to concede the year, but have a look at my thread "Try Again" and take a look at the photo of that bunch of ne'er do wells (excepting your presence, of course) and tell me if its the 17-man of which you speak. You might be able to fill in the names of the Valley Mills guys.
Hoop

Hi Sky,
At Perris that's "Air Trash!!!" and there's also "Sky Scum!!!" Not to get the two cornfused?? However, if you ask a member of either group, the reply would probably be," I resemble that remark!!" Well have fun and any time you want to jump with Air Trash, (or Sky Scum for that matter) I'm sure there will be a slot on the load. BTW go to www.airtrash.com and check out the site, what-a-site!!! Also at Raeford we have Air Trash East which I transplanted out here when I moved from the left coast.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi hag,
Great song, thx for printing out the words for us!!!
BTW I wonder how many newby's know what (HAGALO) stands for??? How about "High Altitude Grab Ass Low Opening" typical for most of our activities, at least in daze gone by. These daze the newby's get chicken at 5 grand and start tossin' pilot chutes!!! Like take it to at least 2.2K !!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Ivan,
What ever happened to "Cardinal Puff" and all the other side games, playing hackey sack, mooning the buzz job, crater lurks, and does anyone remember "Shazam" ???????? (hint hint, Skydive Elsinore summer of '68)
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I hate getting talked to like crazy at a lot of DZs. Sure I only have 400 sumpin jumps, but that doesn't mean I need an AFF course every damn time I visit a DZ.

I am always grimly amused by those who see a DZO’s emphasis on safety as somehow limiting their fun. A moment’s intelligent reflection just might throw up the possibility that the person in charge genuinely hates people dying on his/her dropzone. It’s the owner/operator, not the writer of the above, who has to deal with the aftermath.

“I hate getting talked to like crazy at a lot of DZs. Sure I only have 400 sumpin jumps, but that doesn't mean I need an AFF course every damn time I visit a DZ.”

If it impacted face down – not that that’s the way you’ll find it because bodies almost always bounce – it will be unrecognizable as the laughing, enthusiastic man or woman you were talking to half an hour earlier.

“I hate getting talked to like crazy at a lot of DZs. Sure I only have 400 sumpin jumps, but that doesn't mean I need an AFF course every damn time I visit a DZ.”

“Jesus, what’s that?”
“I think it’s his/her liver” - or spleen, or brains, or intestine, or bone. (You didn’t think it was a hygienic Hollywood version of a bullet through the heart, did you?)

Before you make another breathtakingly immature “I’m-too-shit-hot-to-listen” comment about a DZO’s concern for your well-being, let me make a suggestion. If it should happen one day where you are, take that long sad walk with him, have a good look and try not to toss your cookies. You are, however, allowed to cry later, in private, if it's someone you knew well. And you know what? – it never, ever, gets easier.
Jim Hooper
SCR242
D4019

Amen to that, Jim.

For a number of years, I had the depressing job of writing up the fatality report summaries that would appear each month in Parachutist magazine while serving on the USPA Safety & Training Committee. In all the years I did that, I only remember one fatality when it was probably not avoidable...every other one was preventable.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Hey Bill! Havn't told me about any new members lately. We still sing the "SONG" on the airplane. How about yous guys on the East Coast? It always relaxes the students...

Lisa,
Next time I am at Perris get ahold of me and I will make sure you become "Air Trash". I have be a member since 1979. And then there is Cardnial Puff.
Sparky

Sparky we can make her a Silly Tit while we're at it. For those who don't know, that's a tradition started by Perry Armstrong and still going on at the AT website. Over 200 members strong now. Bully is our president at this time.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

I hate getting talked to like crazy at a lot of DZs. Sure I only have 400 sumpin jumps, but that doesn't mean I need an AFF course every damn time I visit a DZ.

Most do not expect you to take an AFF course - but we DO want to know that you still remember how to check your gear, and you know that the cutaway handle is on the RIGHT side, not the left, etc.

The sport is far more complicated than it used to be. We used to fly RW and solos, RW and solos, - now we have every different discipline on the same load, often on the same pass. parachutes from 300sq ft down to 67 sq ft, and we want to be reasonably sure that you will get yourself to the ground safely.

It is far more than just 'pulling the ripcord' and un-current skydivers still get hurt on a regular basis.

and with hungry lawyers out there - lack of insurance - municipalities, and government agencies breathing down our necks more and more every year....

no need to say more. Not being a prick - but I want to know what you are capable of and I want you to prove it to one of my staff if it has been a long layoff since your last jump.

Hi Ivan,
One tradition no one else has mentioned yet (I think?) is,"CASE OF BEER!!!!!!!" for just about anything!! Back in the old daze, the tradition was you owed a case of brew if you dropped your ripcord!! Only way out of that one was if you had a mal then you could toss it so you had both hands free to get your reserve out. With B-4 equipment, you needed both hands and a lot of luck, or something.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hell, Yes! Case(s) of Beer. Some DZs had a rule of maximum one case per jump. My first clear and pull in '82 was a 4 case jump at Ft. Lewis, WA.

1 - first freefall
2 - Dropped my ripcord (at 100' putting it in the pocket)
3 - First tree landing
4 - The damn tree was a giant Chistmas tree shape that turned into a slide and deposited me safely on the ground ..... for my first standup landing!;)

Fortunately, beer at the PX was a lot cheaper back then!:)

Once at Quincy a guy had the plastic picket fence the little guy with the ring to tie up horses. .

Hehe...that made me laugh. The guy who did that was Ebby Boehm from Parkman. His wife even made a little rig for him to wear.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

At V-Mills in '71 & '72 we used to sing the hymn "Shall We Gather at the River" when the twin Beech or DC-3 got to 10,000 ft. By the time we got to 10,500 we were done and ready to get out. It was a little disconcerting for me the first time I heard it sung by all on board. I have no idea who started that one but I never heard it anywhere else.

I first started jumping in Houston in 1975; when we were taking off in the Beech at Spaceland they often sung that, ending it with "eat, fuck, skydive."

A lot of guys had been Valley Mills jumpers. I always wondered where that came from.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)