skypuppy

Most famous skydiver...

Ok, who's the most famous skydiver ever??? Not to us skydivers, but to the general public...

My vote might have to go to Mitch Decoteau... In the late 70's, early 1980, Playboy magazine sent an observer to z-hills for a feature...

Load organizers at the time may have included Eric Bradley, Rob Paley, Bob Harmon, Jerry Bird, Shooby, Scotty Carbone (I don't think he was grounded at the time) and a young Mitch Decoteau...

Rumor has it that Mitch was the inspiration for 'Macho Mitch' in an issue of the famous Playboy 'Li'l Annie Fanny' cartoon in which annie learns to skydive... I think Macho Mitch followed Annie down after a bad spot and ended up having to console her...

Anyways, I thought with Playboy's circulation at the time that might make Mitch the most famous skydiver ever as far as the general population is concerned...

Any other nominations???

Skypuppy

PS - I thought I had an old dog-eared copy of that issue around in the bottom of a drawer or the back of a closet, but I seem to have lost it... It might be neat for someone to try putting it on the site if they have it...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

My vote goes to Troy Hartman. I suspect the viewers of his "Senseless Acts of Video" series on MTV, the Goose Skyboarding Super Bowl ad, in addition to his appearances in Batman and Baywatch were all seen by millions.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

My vote goes to Troy Hartman. . . . . were all seen by millions.

If that's the criteria, then maybe I'll switch my vote to B.J. Worth. All those Bond films ought to count for something. ;)

I still don't think many whuffos would know his name though.

So, I think I will stick with D.B. Cooper afterall.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Rumor has it that Mitch was the inspiration for 'Macho Mitch' in an issue of the famous Playboy 'Li'l Annie Fanny' cartoon in which annie learns to skydive... I think Macho Mitch followed Annie down after a bad spot and ended up having to console her...

You don't happen to have a copy of that article/cartoon would you? Anybody? Anybody? Beuller? Beuller?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

How about Felix "God of the Skies" Baumgartner?

Whatever else you may think of him, the man is a marketing genius. I'd bet that outside the US, he's the best known (to non-jumpers) skydiver around at the moment. I bet Troy has him inside the U.S., though.

All time? I think I'm going with DB Cooper. Or maybe Paul Quade. Now that guy is famous. :P

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Famous and infamous are two different things. (I think.)

Yes, unlike inflammable and flammable....

Fame/Famous
Great reputation and recognition. Renown. Public esteem.
(positive use generally, as in s/he is well known and/or liked.)

Infamy/Infamous
Having an exceedingly bad reputation, notorious. Evil fame or reputation.
(famous use of the word infamy...FDR: "A day that will live in infamy"referring to Pearl Harbor.).

DBCooper is infamous. Troy is famous. You are neither.:P
(Teasing, Q...lest Alan, with his infamous reputation, should see this as a spurious or injudicious use of terms, thoughts, or poisoned pen commentary! ;))

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hmmm.....Famous, now thats a tricky one....We have to define 'Famous' and image outside the sport. I'm not even going to try that here...

As for being seen skydiving by the most people, BJ Worth has to be up there for all his Bond etc stunts, and the Olympic rings thing but Joe public don't normally check out who is actually performing the stunt...:(

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Interesting question, but my vote for most famous skydiver in the minds of whuffos would probably go to D.B.Cooper.

Yep, thats what I'm thinking. Airport security asked me if I was related to D.B. Cooper while I was trying to pass, I said no, they let me go... :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

Many decades ago Johnny Carson made a
"Harness Hold" Jump with Bob Sinclair,,,,,,60 second delay !!!!!!
waaaaayyy before The advent of AFF skydiving... He wore a chest mount reserve and did well. The jump was aired on the Tonight Show in 1968
Of course the ex Pres.. George Bush the first,,,, did a couple as well... AFF,, out of a tailgate plane...
Banged his head on the door, as he exited,,,, on one of them....most whuffos would remember the newspaper and cable TV coverage for that skydiver....

I'm surprised no one has mention kittinger so far. A lot of whuffo's I know mentioned his jump. although, I don't recall anyone remembering his name, and for that matter, knowing what altitude he bailed from. I usually get some absurd altitude like 20 miles, from the ones that mention it. But they do tend to remember he broke the sound barrier

sbb

Inside the skydiving community I would have to go with Jerry Bird, with BJ Worth a close second. For the general public I might go with Jonny Carson, although George Bush is a close second. My perspective is from 30 years in the sport.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

When I asked the question I was tending towards which 'experienced' skydiver, so I'd be more likely to accept Bob Sinclair as the instructor who was shown with Johnny Carson, then Carson himself... Sinclair was also on the 'Ripcord' tv series, so would have been pretty well known... and of course, the world population was smaller back then, so a smaller absolute number of fans could translate into a larger percentage of the earth;s population that would recognize him...

As for BJ Worth or Felix Baumgartner (as Tom A suggested), I might go with DAR ROBINSON... He was at one point the highest paid stuntman in film when he jumped the CN Tower (one of two or three times he jumped it)... And he was also one of the first to fly back and climb into an airplane after jumping out it... What do you think?

Skypuppy
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

Good suggestion...

I understand Kittinger is also the one responsible for many legends of UFO activity and the myth, real or imagined, of a UFO crash near Roswell, NM, including allegations of clandestine night time military action and retrievals, coverups, and sightings of actual alien bodies in the area....

Skypuppy

joe kittinger jumped from a balloon in 1960 for the military over new mexico. it was a major event for space research. without that jump, who knows if spacesuits wouldve been created and tested adequately for the '69 moon landing. that guy must have a wheelbarrow to carry his balls on! look up the time magazine article from august 1960, very interesting reading. speed of sound freefall!

never let anyone in your will pack your chute!
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!

I'd be willing to bet he is one of the more famous skydivers known by face anyway to the general public...

Or is that because he's often been confused for a lost member of ZZ-Top?:P

Acutally, I can't even count the number of Tandem Students who have said something along those lines before we tell them how important he is in our sport.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."