1 1
steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

not so much a scary story..but a true one: I knew 2 jumpers who planned to make a "kitten pass" in freefall. They left the aircraft, and the cat scratched the guy holding it. All three landed at different places on the dropzone. 1 cat scratch.....scratch 1 cat.:(:( About the same time, (mid 1960s) we were sometimes able to get M-18 smoke bombs. In Canada, Canadian Industries Ltd made smoke bombs, but they were "EXCEPTIONALLY" hot. I gave one to Joe, and told him to wire it to a stick, that it would get so hot you'd make a hospital trip for repairs if you tried holding it. He later gave it to Norm, and told him, this is a VERY COOL smoke bomb. You can hand hold it all the way to the ground. They left the aircraft at 12,500 and Norm pulled the firing pin release, like a grenade. Joe watched him as the bomb began to get warm. Norm put it in his other hand, soon back to the first hand, and finally threw it. Smoke trailed all the way to the ground, and by the time the fire had been put out, it had burned 4-5 acres of grassland. Joe told me, and we laughed for months:ph34r::ph34r:,Norm shook his head in disbelief. Oh for the good times.. Bill Cole D-41 CSPA licence. LOL

Sparky-

Of course I've heard of the Trash!

Remember...I darn near lived at the Elsinore DZ back in the 80's

D-22, Bob & Mj, Basher, Lyle jr., mongo, tony b, patty,
...I know I'm forgetting a bunch...

(no brain cells...all left in the air trash parking lot parties)

I have shows this week and next...
Lets plan something when we both have time and I'll fly out!
I would love to party with you guys!!! B|:):)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Are you freakin serious? Galye freakin Sayers??????

Your story really hits home for me, did my share of partyin down at SIU not to mention I'm a Bears fan unfortunately.

All I can say is, my jaw is dropped and I can't say squat!

Not to mention your LA BASE story. Simply unreal.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

way back when....some guys would do a hook up, and one would reach over and pull the ripcord on the other guys chute, waving as he alone continued the freefall. Other jumpers would sometimes switch someone's capewell releases, so that when the chute opened, the unsuspecting guy was flying his canopy backwards..made for some interesting landings....Bill Cole

friends tell me many a stories about when they used to pull each other's cutaway handles in freefall

I must've jumped with a really tame bunch of folks. Our idea of a trick was to do the flour in the container thing, or pretend to trip over their lines while they were packing.

I'd've gotten really pissed if someone had ever pulled my cutaway for me as a joke.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Messing with another's rig is a good way to make enemies in a hurry, but I know it does happen. We rented a DC-3 (back in the 70's), and were all geared up and on our way to Spokane for a jump meet. We planned to jump into the meet. Someone asked the president of our club if he had checked his rig. He took off his rig and it did look a little smaller than usual. He openned it on board and found that someone had packed up some kind of cargo chute inside that was about 14 ft. in diameter. The guilty parties then stepped forward with his proper Para-Commander canopy, and helped him put his rig back together while in flight. This was supposed to be a joke, and lot's of people did laugh heartilly, but I still don't see much humor in it. I'd hate to have anyone messing with my rig. I think I'd get real pissed in a hurry.....Steve1

I know but that's how most of my friends are. They only do it to eachother. Everyone has pretty much been on good behavior now for a while. But sometimes they get bored, as do I, and do stupid shit. However, I always give myself a full gear check before my jumps. It only takes a few seconds.

Although this hasn't happened to me, but my friends tell me many a stories about when they used to pull each other's cutaway handles in freefall.:S:D

anyone doing that to me would be guaranteed a smack in the mouth on landing.:|

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

I understood what you were saying -- I was replying to the post about pulling the cutaway as a "joke." When you're jumping out of a Cessna, there just isn't a lot of concern about other loads opening with you, is there?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Maybe were just nutz:S..but here's another one I found funny.

Awhile back at the Herd. There was a full otter load at altitude on jumprun. My friend (John Doe) flicked the two switches and turned off the engines. The pilot panicked and ordered everyone out the plane. End result...everything was fine and nobody was injured.

On that tone, here's a second-hand one that I've had confirmed at least once. So that must make it true:)
There was a pilot at a club DZ who was really anal about the aircraft; really anal. Others would fly it too, but he took a very personal interest.

So when a new, but very experienced pilot came out and began flying for the DZ, they set him up.

Full load, of course. But lightweights.

After all the jumpers leave, another body exits the airplane and dumps very quickly. The airplane begins to fly away very erratically, and of course our friend the anal pilot gets really excited. Airplane eventually disappears.

Of course, it was a mannequin under canopy, and the airplane landed at another airport.

Wendy W.

Are you freakin serious? Galye freakin Sayers??????

Your story really hits home for me, did my share of partyin down at SIU not to mention I'm a Bears fan unfortunately.

All I can say is, my jaw is dropped and I can't say squat!

Not to mention your LA BASE story. Simply unreal.

What??
There was partying going on at SIU ??
NO WAY ! ;)

If you were down there in the late 70's... B|
I was the bouncer at 'Hangar 9' with the red eyes!!

Yeah...Gale Sayers, my dad still has the picture I took that day hanging in his den.
I also have his signature in a log book.

Sometimes I can't believe I actually got out of there with a degree...and no felonies! :o:|:S

I just got back from two weeks on the road, had a demo in the Sacramento area and then went to Alaska to cheer on my honey in her 5th marathon of the year!

Doing the show in California I was reminded how nice it is to have a pilot that is on the ball as far as Parachute Demonstrations are concerned.
We were jumping from a C-45 (Twin Beech)
An immaculate "Photo Re-Con" version, totally outfitted with the actual equipment called for in that configuration.
Even down to the 'Plexiglas' plates in the floor...great for spotting!
And the driver was just a pleasure to work with!
I would have never guessed he wasn't a full time dropzone pilot.
After going through a pre-jump briefing, the only thing I had to say to him was
"5 right" and "C-YA"
He had us perfectly over our exit point, right on the air boss's hack every time...

Unfortunately...that's not always the case!

Doing performances at Air Shows and special events these past 20 some years has afforded me the opportunity to jump from some memorable and historic aircraft, as well as introducing me to some rather...shall we say 'interesting' pilots!

Like the time in Oklahoma we found out a bit too late that our pilot was a former member of the U.S. Aerobatic team...after rolling the 206 on jump run!

Or the time in Ohio the pilot said "Screw This!" and walked away.
After watching us go through our Emergency Procedures concerning someone's fireworks igniting inside the aircraft prior to a night show...
Took the better part of an hour to convince him...it hardly EVER happens!

Rolling off the wing of a Ju-52 at 1100 ft. over Gary Ind. because the pilot....never mind!
(Waay to long of a story)

Once we almost high speed taxied into a fuel truck that the pilot hadn't seen move in front of him...

And who could ever forget the time I sat there...face glued to the window,
just sure I was going to make the lead in video for "You Gotta See This"
As a Harrier missed his intended line for the 'Low / Slow' sideways pass...
And went right over the top of our bird, staged near a runway intersection...
Blowing 5 gallon bags of jelled gasoline and sticks of dynamite... (used for war bird special effects) ...all around us!
...I wouldn't say that my life flashed before my eyes, but I was certainly glad I stuck to my 'Low Residue" breakfast that day.

But none of those comes close to the time I was in a plane crash...and minutes later did a show...well as least part of one!

No Shit...there I was...KNEW I was gonna die!

We were in a C-45...yet another clean show quality war bird.
All geared up to do our Night Pyro Fireworks / Parachute display...
As I detailed in a prior post in this thread, this act requires a lot of heavy, awkward, cumbersome gear.
Movement is taxing and difficult...each action inside an aircraft has to be thought out so as not to bang your bombs into another jumpers.
There is no such thing as a comfortable position when outfitted in this manner.

It's dark out, hot, with gusting winds, I'm sitting nearest to the open door awaiting the usual run up prior to take off..
When suddenly the sound of two radial engines with the throttles fire-walled quickened my already rapid pulse rate...

"Geeze buddy, a mag check would have been nice!"

Accelerating faster than we had on either of the two previous jumps that day, definitely had my attention peeked...
and with four of us, each laden with 100 pounds of gear sliding into each other...
I tightened my helmets chin strap and put on my patented 'concerned...but cool' mask.

As grass, dirt and the shards of the breaking runway lights we were running over flew past the open door...
And I noticed that I was getting a really neat panoramic view of the entire show line as the tail of the now out of control aeroplane swung wildly back and fourth,

I changed masks...putting on my..." I bet this never happens to Golfers face! "

Just about the time any sane person would have pulled the plug...
shut her down and had a little board meeting about the events transpiring...

I realized that, true to form...there weren't any sane people in this lifeboat!

I recall a tremendous amount of engine noise...shouting and bouncing about the inside of the aircraft..
We were like four cats inside a dryer.

I had already popped the quick releases on my leg brackets, undone one side of my belly wart fireworks container and was pulling the quick releases on my parachute leg straps when the team leader yells at me...

" You're taking off your PARACHUTE! "

"I KNOW!" I yelled back..."This ain't a plane crash....it's a fuckin' TRAIN WRECK! "

I was fully prepared to roll out of that moving disaster area...
if I could only get hold of something near enough to the door to assist in my exit.

...In the years after that incident, I've gone both ways as to if this action was correct given the situation...
I do know that things were going bad...

And seconds later...got even WORSE!

I remember being slammed down into the floor...then bouncing up 0-g style...
I was looking forward at the cockpit and realized two things very quickly.

1) We were now airborne
2) The right wing was bouncing around more than Pam Anderson's swimsuit.

...Think I'll just hook up these leg straps again...

ya know....

"BOWLERS never go through this either!"

The Pilot yells back, " I'm coming around..I'll try to land"

Just as I'm thinking to myself, ...TRY to land ?
Hell dude...you can't even TAKE OFF!

One of the more experienced guys on the team yells to him,
" No, Climb...we'll get out! "

He did...and we did!
Leaving for the most part our fireworks with him...

I won't say how high we got...or which handle I pulled at exit.
I will say we all landed safely, in the same general area and about the same time...
Aircraft INCLUDED!

No need for the 'Low Residue' meal this time...
I was scared 'shitless!'

...The final 'bump' we later found out was us impacting a berm as we crossed a runway.."the skinny way"
The gear compressed, dinging the right side prop...well more than dinging it as the photos from the next morning show.
If you look hard you can see me in two of these PICS.

Demos are great!

...Make a skydive, get a check!!!

propped1dz.jpg

propped2dz.jpg

propped3dz.jpg

Rolling off the wing of a Ju-52 at 1100 ft. over Gary Ind. because the pilot....never mind!
(Waay to long of a story)

Come on. You know you want us to beg you -- I'm not proud :)
Great story

Wendy W.