1 1
steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

Rolling off the wing of a Ju-52 at 1100 ft. over Gary Ind. because the pilot....never mind!
(Waay to long of a story)

Come on. You know you want us to beg you -- I'm not proud :)
Great story

Wendy W.

Hehehe...I'm too tired to write anymore!:P
Hey Wendy...coming over to Buffalo Bayou Park on the 4th?
Great fireworks....
AND SKYDIVERS! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Rolling off the wing of a Ju-52 at 1100 ft. over Gary Ind. because the pilot....never mind!
(Waay to long of a story)

Come on. You know you want us to beg you -- I'm not proud :)
Great story

i'm not either...i'd love to jump one of those...since i doubt i'll get the chance you have to tell...

Rig Before Rating . . .

Working for Don Muma down at Otay Lakes in Southern California a hundred years ago it’s New Years Eve and we cap the days jumps by pulling Jim Perry’s Helio Stallion up on the grass and blasting the stereo we’d just installed. Don came running out and yelled at us and rightly so as he’s sowed a fine grass in an era when grass meant everything in the desert.

So the next morning we quit and flew away.

“I hear Deborah Blackman is re-opening Elsinore.”

“Let’s go there.”

The Stallion is a brute of a single engine turbo-prop tail dragger controllable down to thirty knots and used by the CIA during Vietnam to delivery whatever into small jungle clearings.

We do a short field landing at Gillespie Field for some Jet A and the controller is talking when he hears Led Zeppelin blasting on the stereo behind us and says, “Cool.”

We landed on the dirt in Lake Elsinore around sunset and Debbie came running out to greet us and she said, “Okay,” looking at Jim, “You are my chief pilot, and you,” now looking at me, she says, “You are my chief instructor.”

We follow her into the fading light and I’ll never forget Jim looking my way and saying, “Timing is everything.”

Fast forward two years and Tandem rigs are appearing on the market for the first time. Debbie buys one of the first Strong tandems. The first day we had it, after Debbie put it all together, as it came component wise, Mark Hewitt and another fellow who’s name I can’t remember took the rig up for it’s first jump.

After getting out of the Beech D-18 at 12.5 neither one could get the drogue out and going through 1500 feet at tandem terminal Mark, who’s up front is reaching up over his left shoulder and clawing for the reserve ripcord handle he says later, “ I’m looking at right where we’re going to crater.”

Finally up-top gets the drogue out. The only problem now is he’d already pulled the drogue release and the brunt of a tandem terminal opening almost breaks Mark’s neck and as he lies limp in the harness he hears, “Shit, we gotta cutaway.”

After landing safely under the reserve we all figured the rule in tandem jumping is always use the main, even if you blow it up, as so you don’t use the reserve going too fast , and blow that up too.

Debbie had paying customers lined up already for the next day and she took the broken main home and Betsy Rossed it back together. The next morning I woke to her asking me to go up and jump it and make sure it is alright. A for real continuity check. “

Sure, no problem, it’s just another rig.”

Ernie Villanova and a bunch of Elsinore regulars are doing a early morning demo as I sit back on the floor of the Beech and contemplate just what the heck all these handles do. A few Rw loads get out and I walk toward the door. “Get the drogue out,” is all I’m thinking because that’s what started those other guys problems.

Stepping out the door, I grin at Ernie, reach back and throw out the drogue. Like I was doing a hop and pop. All of a sudden I felt myself stable but not arching. Wow, I thought, that drogue is so big you don’t have to arch, I was just hanging.

It’s then I notice the horizon is right above my toes and I look over my should and there’s the Beech right behind me. I’d thrown the drogue over the tail, and I’ll never forget when my brain told my body I was in tow.

Nothing bad was happening at the moment and I remember thinking don’t make the next mistake that will kill you.”

I looked down on the myriad of handles and deduced none did what I needed to do.

I looked again at my feet and the horizon is sinking as I wrapped the elevator of the Beech and she’s nosing over, Bobby said later, “It pulled the yoke full forward and I couldn’t pull it back, at first I thought you Knuckleheads had figured a new way to mess with me.”

Meanwhile self preservation is clicking in and I figure, okay, we’re still high, but if it starts going hey wire I’ll cutaway first and then pull the drogue release. It would mean leaving Bobby with the mess, or, if the main inflated the end of him when it pulled the tail from the aircraft.

All of a sudden I came off.

I arched and flipped over and looked at the altimeter and saw all that nonsense that started at 12.5 took until 8000 feet to sort it self out. I looked up over my shoulder and see 15 feet of bridle and no drogue.

I thought I’d better start now.

I reached and pull the student ripcord and it comes a ways and stops. I pull until I’m afraid I’ll break something and throw it away. I grab the tandem master’s ripcord and it too comes out a ways and then jams. I’d pulled both cables through the grommet on the drogue Three Ring release when I was in tow. I looked at the altimeter and decided that no matter what was happening at 4000 feet I was going to pull the reserve handle. That way I’d have some time to hack on things with my hook knife if it all went wrong.

I went back to pulling on the drogue release. At about six thousand feet I finally forcibly managed to clear one of the cables. I could feel the side flaps of the main container hitting me and tried to push the huge bagged main away from me. However, it went without a pilot chute or drogue in slow motion as I watched one and then another stow come off the bag until I looked again and I’m coming up to the point where I’m thinking about looking for the reserve handle when bam I get a opening on the main.

After landing Bobby and stare at the dents I put in the horizontal stabilizer of the Beech and all agree we got away with one.

Debbie deducted $80 from my next paycheck to cover the cost of the drogue I destroyed.

Watch it . . . .

Nick
D-8904
  • Like 1

!!! HANG ON GANG...NICK D is IN THE HOUSE !!!

:)B|:):)
This guy as more stories than all of us put together!

I think I started working for Don right after you left.
At least I remember hearing about you from him!:o

And speaking of Gillespie field...weren't you on one of those backyard keger jumps we made into Santee?

I have no clue now. But the front mount reserve was a flat thing about the size that my computer processor is now. It was supposed to make you fall slower (than an old wart like you had).
It had a strange setup for opening. a soft webbing handle at center top had a cable with 2 pins, holding 2 nylon loops which threaded through the container from back to front. the other end of each of these loops was attached to a spring which was supposed to pull the loops out quickly. That worked well as long as the knots in the loops were on the spring side, and NOT on the pin side. That resulted in a lock that was not possible to open as the grommets through which these loops were fairly small.

One time I had a 5 foot tall former DI who was a master rigger, repack it. I asked him if he wanted the instruction booklet and he said "Nah, it's just like any other reserve only flatter." So I jumped it for about 6 months til my guilty conscience caught up with me & I returned it to the same rigger for another repack.

We had this thing... dump your own reserve before your repack, watch the pilot chute jump out, feel the way it pulls. So like a good little skydiver I did; it felt a little tight... guess what?

NO OPENsies! The knots were on the pin side. The ex-DI blushed up to his flattop crewcut and said "uh, uh, uh" about a dozen times & was still standing there as I picked the thing up & headed to the car to drive it to another rigger... any other rigger.

Handsome Dave ended up with it, maybe it will end up in some museum someplace.

So later, even though my repack pricing policy was always $20/ I pack, $30/you watch, $50 you help, I remembered...

& always accepted anyone's instruction booklet even if it was a rig I knew well or had the notes for.

It was royal Blue, Twardo. It was better than a belly wart which looks small on you but

Not me.
Perfect speed is being there at the goat roast.

Congrats on the anniversary! B|

No connection with the Monroe thing huh?!

The way I heard it...

She was pissed about not being forever remembered
among skydivers as
" Mae West " is....

Once Bill C. started jumping, she snapped!!!!!! ;)

Where is my cane?
I'm gonna whack that guy!

whoa gramps dont get too riled up!!! come on it's nap time for you...:P

on the serious side i like listening to the "old timmers " a good book to read is "flying with their pants on fire " by tom craighead good read!!!!
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

Chutless,That did happen,but was at Turner Falls,Ma.and the aircraft was a Howard DGA.The pilot had to land it standing up.I don't know how as Howards were a bear to land (with a seat)!!!!
D-47

Quick, who can tell me what DGA stands for?
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Heard a story once about a jumper in south Florida on his 3000 jump spotting a load long, tracking back, opening low with a PC and landing in the peas while the rest had a long walk in the swamp. Anyone know the details of this rumor? (Pop?)

Hello Jim and John;

One of my scariest jumps happened over Otay Lakes in San Diego when we were reorganizing and forming Perris Valley Skydiving Society, Inc. In summer, 1985. I had just purchased a new rig from Sandy Reed and it had a new 9 cell called a Nimbus and a Paraflight 5 cell reserve. I was unfortunate enough to have opened over a 900 foot hill, had a tremendous hard opening breaking 5 lines. My altimeter said 1800 feet so I tried to steer towards the DZ then my canopy collapsed on me. I cutaway, then my reserve ripcord and patiently waited for it to open. I found out later (after getting a recall notice) the patterns had been switched at the factory causing a slow opening. My canopy fully opened with just enough time for me to pull down hard on the risers for a very hard landing. Meanwhile, after finding my cutaway main I climbed the fence to the road heading downhill to the DZ when I saw a fire truck approaching. They yelled out “did you see the guy who didn’t make it?” I found out shortly after getting back to the DZ the fireman was referring to me. The people at the DZ saw my body in free fall go behind the hill with a streamer for a reserve. From their angle, they saw me go in. Realizing then how close I had actually come.
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

Hi - I bought a 230 sq. ft "Pursuit" in 1983, and also had an incredibly hard opening that resulted in three broken lines.B| (In defence of the manufacturers, it was a CRW canopy designed to open quickly)

In a moment of sheer stupidity, I opted (foolishly):$ to try land the thing in the peas (where it was nice and soft), but with one side of the canopy semi-collapsing on me, my descent rate was rather fast.:o I ended up having to land short of the peas on a hard gravel road, and luckily pulled off my best PLF ever - got away with "only" a MASSIVE purple/blue bruise on my left thigh.B|

The people on the ground said the opening sounded like a rifle shot, and when they saw me decide to land the canopy, they called the ambulance!

There were several other line break incidents at the club at that time, with many canopies (including mine) having to be re-lined. The incidents were attributed to a bad batch of lines being used by some manufacturers at the time.

Never had a problem after the re-line, but I learnt to pay great attention to rolling the nose when packing!