steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

When jumping in the army they used to scare the hell out of everyone, when they said they would foam down the run way, and land with you in tow. And yes, they would cut you away if you put one or both hands on your helmet, and showed that you were responsive. It would be interesting to know if this was ever done.

I used to jumpmaster army jumpers, but never had a knife. I imagine the airforce crew chief had one.

Hi Steve

No big deal but, crew chiefs didn't fly we were called loadmasters, opened the door 20 minute warning etc.

We did have a knife and a winch. My plan was to give the jumpmaster the knife if he needed one amd stand back:)
One Jump Wonder

That student in tow climb down the SL scenario, sure got thrashed out at length, don|t know of anzone who ever tried it. Our theory was that the most dangerous part was the SL cutting bit, because it would be under such tension that when it was cut it would twang back like a rubber band and wrap around whoever was on the end of it.

It certainly has been done in the UK and the guy that did it was awarded the George Medal.

"Staff Sergeant Mick Reeves was awarded the George Medal for saving the life of a student who had static line hang-up at Halfpenny Green in 1966. As jumpmaster, Mick Reeves climbed down the line, cutting it free, free-falling with the student and deploying his reserve. Both landed safely."

http://www.shobdon.shaunmcguire.co.uk/History.htm

It certainly has been done in the UK and the guy that did it was awarded the George Medal.

Oh yeah, now I remember reading about that way back. My alzheimers must be getting more effective.

I always thought a George medal was a bit OTT for that......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I was just wondering if anyone had a scary jump story from way back when? Steve1

Sorry steve were getting so old that we ca't even remember the scary stories ay ore or we've already told them.

Now there's a whole new set of stupid stories. People that can't land a perfectly good parachute. Select a canopy thats to small, and don't know their gear.

"Who says skydivers are stupid? We invented a whole new way to kill ourselves" 1985

Used to be a joke at first but it's still happening. Thats scary!!! :(:(

R

Take the DB!!!!

Hi Steve

No big deal but, crew chiefs didn't fly we were called loadmasters, :)

Oh hell, I knew it was something like that. Some days I forget my own name.....I used to look at loadmasters and ask myself why I didn't join that branch. They sure looked a lot happier than the grunts I hung out with....

Hi Steve

Oh hell, I knew it was something like that. Some days I forget my own name.....I used to look at loadmasters and ask myself why I didn't join that branch. They sure looked a lot happier than the grunts I hung out with....

Hi Steve

I think the branch of service we went into had something to do with where we grew up.

You came from Montana, went beaver traping, hunting with guns, all that stuff.

OTOH some of us grew up in the concrete jungle, never touched a gun, or walked on grass or even saw a 4 legged beaver.

Everyone we knew worked behind a desk or carried a lunch box. The air force or navy was a no brainer for most of us poor folks that needed to dodge the draft. ;)

Time to take a nap:D

R.
One Jump Wonder

Hi Steve

Circa 1984, I'm JM on a nightjump.
Couldn't see the L so I waved off to the Loadmaster.
I'm hanging out the door and the plane does a hard left bank and I'm staring at the ground.
Load master taps me to com in and shut the door for the six minute race-track.
I back in, flop the step and close the door.
I turn to the Loadmaster and tell him, "I can't believe they pay me an extra $100.00 a month to do this shit!!"
He tells me, "I can't believe they pay me $150.00 to watch you go."

Huh?!???!?! WTF!! Over!! :S:o:D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.