1 1
steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

Oh hell, that movie scared the crap out of me.

I'll bet some hillbillies did get Mr. Cooper. The more I think of it the more sense it makes. The last time I was in Oregon I saw several guys with missing front teeth down by the Columbia River. One of them even had a banjo. Maybe some of you Oregon jumpers saw them too. Jesus! [:/]

I'm sure glad there's not that kind of hillbillies in Montana....[:/]

steve1

Oh hell, that movie scared the crap out of me.

I'll bet some hillbillies did get Mr. Cooper. The more I think of it the more sense it makes. The last time I was in Oregon I saw several guys with missing front teeth down by the Columbia River. One of them even had a banjo. Maybe some of you Oregon jumpers saw them too. Jesus! [:/]

I'm sure glad there's not that kind of hillbillies in Montana....[:/]

Hi Steve

Montana does have sheep, Beaver trappers and they had thr una bomber.

Bah Bah:P
One Jump Wonder

[:/]

Hi Steve

Montana does have sheep, Beaver trappers and they had the una bomber.

Yeigh, but the Una-bomber was from out of state. We don't claim him. I talked with some people who knew him, at Lincoln, and they said he was a nice enough guy. just a little crazy acting......Hell, some people say the same thing about me.

Yep, we do have a lot of good looking sheep in Montana.

SCS292

***Anyone ever figure out what happened to db cooper:P

Please don't tell me that shit has taken over this thread too.

Hi 292

I hope you can tell the difference between that shit and this thread.;)

A mod will eventually come along and make all this silly stuff go away like it never happened. [:/]

Dont worry be happy:D
One Jump Wonder

steve1

[:/]

Hi Steve

Montana does have sheep, Beaver trappers and they had the una bomber.

Yeigh, but the Una-bomber was from out of state. We don't claim him. I talked with some people who knew him, at Lincoln, and they said he was a nice enough guy. just a little crazy acting......Hell, some people say the same thing about me.

Yep, we do have a lot of good looking sheep in Montana.

Now we know why Clay Fowler (freeflir29) lives in Montana. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Krip

Anyone ever figure out what happened to db cooper:P

Hi Ripper,
After he jumped out of the jet, the wind blast blew open his jacket and some of the money went flying, then he got sucked up by a flying saucer before he deployed his chute and was taken to some far away planet by "Space Aleins!!!" This is just as good a "Theory" as any I've heard.....check out the db cooper thredB|;);):ph34r::ph34r::D:D:D
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Now we know why Clay Fowler (freeflir29) lives in Montana. :D

Clay isn't a Native of Montana, and I'm not sure if we want to claim him or not. He had some real scary "sheep" stories.

Say that might be another idea for a thread.

I don't know if I ever told you this....but I was once beamed up into outer space![:/] When I was there I saw a guy who looked just like D.B. Cooper!

To bring this back a little closer to reality.
Part three of my towing people into the air.
A guy named John Moody showed up at Rainbow airport and told us this story about wanting to put a motor on a hang glider. I had seen the guy before. Ground launching. I had built a hang glider from some instuctions Poynter had written up. Out of electric conduit and a plastic silo cover. John would show up at the launch hill with his Icarus bi-wing. It took him and two people to launch it. They would all run down the hill. He would lift off and spin out of control into the hill. Do it again and again. He would always spin the same way. Eventually he had his helper change sides. Then he would spin out of control the other way. I don't think his brother-in-law liked him.
So as I was saying John showed up at the DZ. It was a slow day and he wanted us to tow him down the runway to ground launch. Worked for us!. So we hook him up with a bunch of tubular. Off we go. He runnnnns. Flop. Do it again. Car goes, he runnnnnns, flop. We go back to talk to him, cause he's not moving very fast. Well, if you've ever seen an Icarus. They are a bi-wing with no tail and a hole in the bottom wing that you fit in, pick the thing up and ruuuun. When you Flop, your hands holding the thing up are the landing gear. He had ground the skin off his knuckles almost to the bone.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Hey Twardo, Some guy who got his silly ass banned from here says you ought to tell us a story.
That old ustawuz pilot said he'd love to tell some tales, except the statute of limitations hasn't run out yet.
Hey Sparky .... guess who?

To clear up a little detail posted up above.
He's called dEd Dugan. I've known him for about 40 years and he's been dEd the whole time. Rumor-out-of-control has it that many years ago at the infamous Gulch, a cocky fighter pilot showed up and was known to engage in the performance of crazy stunts and other things that the denizens of the desert figured he'd eventually kill himself. He's still kicking and most of the folks who tagged him with that moniker aren't. Who'd a thunk it.

C'mon Twardo ... tell us a story.

Hi dEd and all,
Since it's still 08MAY 'guess Ill do a thread bump or whatever. It's scary enough when I got up this morning I realized that it was 50 years ago today that I made my First ever Parachute Jump!! Yup, 28' double L, 2800', Milt Nobels Cessna 170, Hammond Airport, La., Southland Skydivers, Numan Gill B-1929 was my instructor/ jumpmaster. Good Fun!! And here it is 50 years later. Time sure flyz when yer havin' Fun!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Well, I fell out of my paracommander over the Barnwell county sc reservior in 1971. Week in the hospital i will never forget.

SOP was to drop the chest pack, unhook the chest strap, pull the saddle up under your but and unhook both leg straps. When your feet touch the water, swim to the right or left of the parachute.

Mine surged and the saddle slipped up and i went back into free fall from about 200 feet; flat and stable right into the water. Some 15 yr old kid found me in a tree about 20 feet down and hauled me up - his dad hauled me in. The pick up car was at the boat ramp and took me to the hospital close by. I got my water jump, and the USPA changed the sop to retain one leg strap until the feet get wet.

The nick name Para Frog stung for a while.

D2909

Well, I fell out of my paracommander over the Barnwell county sc reservior in 1971. Week in the hospital i will never forget.

SOP was to drop the chest pack, unhook the chest strap, pull the saddle up under your but and unhook both leg straps. When your feet touch the water, swim to the right or left of the parachute.

Mine surged and the saddle slipped up and i went back into free fall from about 200 feet; flat and stable right into the water. Some 15 yr old kid found me in a tree about 20 feet down and hauled me up - his dad hauled me in. The pick up car was at the boat ramp and took me to the hospital close by. I got my water jump, and the USPA changed the sop to retain one leg strap until the feet get wet.

The nick name Para Frog stung for a while.

200 feet?!? Holy fuck! :o Glad you're still around. Wouldn't be without that teenager and his dad though. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Bunch of us returning from a weekend in Mississippi or somewhere, maybe Alabama. Dirty Bruce's D18 123J. We get near RT's strip, so a bunch of us gear up in the plane and out at about 12k to FF then land on RT's dirt strip.

Well, boned. I feel my left leg strap zip out of the buckle (feed thru type), as I'd not gone through the 2nd slot, just through 1st then velcro'd.

Everyone is closing on me at about 10k, geeking and smiling, until I see Charlie's eyes are about 6" in diameter, through his Kroops, so I look over my left shoulder to see the trailing leg strap, flapping in the breeze behind me...

Then I quickly wonder if I'd done it on both leg straps.

So I wave off, back out, throw my pilot chute and instantly cross my heart grabbing both front lift webs, TIGHTLY.

Blammo, open.

My right leg strap, thankfully, was properly set, but because of the dis-balance in the front webs, my right knee is right in front of my face, my left leg just kinda hanging out there.

My pubic hairs, every single one of them, is also being ripped by the good leg strap ring...

So I just quietly sat in the uneven rocking chair til I got to about 1k, then unstowed brakes and took it in real, real slow.

Got on ground, everyone running over to either slap me, hug me, box my ears, jostle, or shove... all of it.

Last time I didn't check my leg strap slip-thrus. hot damn.

I borrowed Dirty Billy Bishops (deceased) Security rig for my first hogback jump. Opening shock disconnected both leg straps! Darn quick disconnects. Fortunately he had sewn a piece of webbing to the leg straps for a seat. It caught me at the knees. I landed on my butt. Painful, but better than the alternative. 41 years later, I still double check my leg straps even with a step in harness before going out the door.

Dirty Billy was a piece of work. His Dad had one of the first ever computers from Caltech in the basement.
Dirty was in the Beech and needed to relieve himself. A real problem for him. So he goes to the door and proceeds to get only most of the liquid out in the windstream. With an approving nod from Poteet , he got a kick in the pants from Dennis ? and entered freefall with his member in the off hand and a loose legstrap. Decisions decisions. Poor guy, got thrown from a car in Mexico and was literally plowed into the ground by a passing farmers plow.

Bobutt

I borrowed Dirty Billy Bishops (deceased) Security rig for my first hogback jump. Opening shock disconnected both leg straps! Darn quick disconnects. Fortunately he had sewn a piece of webbing to the leg straps for a seat. It caught me at the knees. I landed on my butt. Painful, but better than the alternative. 41 years later, I still double check my leg straps even with a step in harness before going out the door.

Dirty Billy was a piece of work. His Dad had one of the first ever computers from Caltech in the basement.
Dirty was in the Beech and needed to relieve himself. A real problem for him. So he goes to the door and proceeds to get only most of the liquid out in the windstream. With an approving nod from Poteet , he got a kick in the pants from Dennis Trepanier and entered freefall with his member in the off hand and a loose legstrap. Decisions decisions. Poor guy, got thrown from a car in Mexico and was literally plowed into the ground by a passing farmers plow.

Deville story

Bruce decided t'was time for a twin. He found a C-45 in Antrim, NH, a D-18 airframe in Arkansas, and another D-18 airframe in Jackson, MS.

The C-45 had canvas controls, low time engines,all instruments, decent tires. The plane had not been flown in 12 years, but the engines had been run a couple of times every year. It was property of an air-trades tech. school.

The one in Jackson had aluminum controls, and the one in Ark had spar kit.

One trip to Jackson retrieved the aluminum control surfaces, all... elevator, rudders, flaps, etc, and some miscellaneous pieces.

A trip to Antrim, NH in "the van" with a bunch of volunteers, got the C-45 back in operation, after applying the aluminum control surfaces from Jackson. An A&P at the flight/tech school did all the work.

On return trip, a stop at a restaurant ended with Dirty Bruce face down in a plate of salad..post celebration gravity overload. When someone lifted his face off the plate, there were many salad pieces sticking to his face, affixed with thousand island dressing. The waitress asked us all to just leave. The nerve of some people.

And that was a minor infraction.

The celebration continued to New York City. Ascending to top of "emstate pire building" apparently altitude was more than Bruce could take. He puked off the observation deck.

Some poor chick hitchhiker got a ride in the van, and, of course the male passengers had much piss to let out, through a rear floor mounted relief tube. The front passenger threw piss out the right front window. The hitchhiker probably thought it was her last day.

A ferry pilot flew the C-45 to Monroe.

The engines, controls and instruments were removed from the C-45 and taken to Jackson. The D-18 there was reassembled, it having a cargo door. Again, all work was performed by certified A&P.

The D-18 was ferried to Monroe. On that maiden flight, the pilot switched to the front tank, unfortunately had not been drained, so the right engine died immediately. A short field landing was done somewhere in east Louisiana or west Mississippi, the prop was reset, water dumped, and trip to Monroe completed uneventfully.

There the spar from Arkansas was applied to the D-18, again by certified A&P mechanics... and that is how N123J became a jump plane.

Dunno whare it is now located... probably some jungle.