1 1
steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

Tell us more about that Pecos D. Z....Airtwardo.

The wildest place I heard of was Casa Grande or better named the "Gulch". Was Pecos worse than that? I'm getting scared just thinking about it. This is almost as good as listening to ghost stories;)

The Pecos Parachute School was the DZ in Fandango ... 'Big Screen' YouTube documentary of daze gone past. ;)

Hi Steve and "Jimmy the Viper,"
Jimmy has got it!! There was an article about it in Scare-a-chutist a while back. Fandango with Kevin Costner,..now just take the part about Pecos back a notch to "Proof!!" remember that!! Proof was the film short that Spielberg built Fandango around. (Think it was him??) Any way, some years ago some telecommunications majors from UCSB came out to Perris and made a couple of static line jumps. (beginning of story) so when it came time for them to do their end of their degree project, they though they'd do it on skydiving!! Fancy that!! I remember these guys running around the DZ at Perris one sunny day with clipboards asking us skydivers about our experiences, funny stories and "skydiving jokes!!" you know, like,"did you hear the one about the jumper that forgot which pak his laundry was in?? Dum-da-dum-da-dum, the plot thickens!!"...anyway these guys were asking us all kinds of stuff and I didn't think about it till sometime later when Kate Cooper said one day,"Hey guys I got this neat film these UCSB students made called 'Proof!!'" We watched it after jumping one day and it was fun!! I don't know where the "hanger scenes" were shot I think it was at Mojive Airport but for sure some of if not all the freefall stuff was at Cal City and that's Dave Blatell doing the "Mr. Hicks in freefall" antics!! 'Even used a Perris Valley Student rig and Black Death jumpsuit on the dive!! Got a couple of copies of "Proof" in the archives if the tape hasn't crystalized and fallen apart yet!!!!!.. Always thought that when Truman took off in the Cessna 182 he should have flown "UNDER" the power lines at the end of the runway!! any takers? There's more to the story about "Pecos" this is just starters but I thought I'd kick in the beginning..Add on as required...."Nobody calls a ROTC Colonel a 'Weenie!!!!!'"................................
As for was "Pecos worse than the Gulch??" Pecos was just a "Story!!!!"...The Gulch was,"REAL!!!!!!!!!"B|
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Got a couple of copies of "Proof" in the archives if the tape hasn't crystalized and fallen apart yet!!!!!..

And for posterity, one can find Proof in 3 parts on YouTube. (search something like 'Proof Kevin Reynolds')
There is a Fandago movie fan web site out there too.

Proof was the film short that Spielberg built Fandango around.

I didn't know that, but you're right Bill...Spielberg produced it, Kevin Reynolds directed.

Hi Jim,
Yup, ya' watch Fandango and from when the guys pull up to Pacos till they drive off is "Proof!!" There are a few small "changes' but it's almost "word for word!!" Costner replaces the guy from proof who played Gardner Barnes and I think there was a switch on Phil Hicks, Dorman and Truman were right outa' Proof! What a hoot that was!! 'Remember the "First Run" of Proof on 16mm one Sat Night!! Someone got it transferred to VHS and the copies abounded!! 'Don't wanna' think about how many years ago that was......my bones are starting to creek and I'm startin' to feel (that dirty word) "old!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Did we run out of Stories?

Here's one that I put in another thread regarding Tandem passengers with weak stomachs...

Back in the 80's before the regs got tight, I'd do a tandem or two during the 'press day' part of an airshow.

It would usually involve taking a local media person up, with them doing an in aircraft show promo, the free-fall vid and then some post landing thoughts...

One cool one was a weather girl who spoke (lip synced) into a big fake hand held microphone during the video, they later dubbed in that days weather.

One not so cool one was in Fla...
I was taking the local sportscaster, a retired tight end for the Tampa Bay Bucs. Early 30's, big guy about my size. Obviously hired for his good looks & football persona...he wasn't the saltiest cracker in the box.

"Mr. Hollywood" and his film crew were making 10 times more out of the jump than anyone else ever had...all the hype, 'thrill-seeker-death DEfyer-edge pusher' You name the cliche and they used it. :S

It was getting rather difficult to get even the basic instruction related to him, with the attention span of a goldfish and the constant need to say something brilliant for the camera, I finally had to insist we go off alone for a short time...following a make-up touch up he eventually complied.

He started stammering a bit when I let him know that he would need to be 'involved' in both the free-fall and canopy part of our upcoming adventure...and any grievous errors on either of our part would probably be the 5 o'clock lead on his news station and not a 1 minute fluff piece during the sports segment. :o

He did at least start paying attention...then it started getting a bit weird, he asked if he could wear a Bucs helmet during the jump.

I suggested a standard frap hat as me catching a face-full of football helmet during opening wasn't conducive to a soft on target landing.

He then took off his hair and put on the helmet...out came the green contacts, they are for the camera, has 20/20...he then popped out his teeth and handed THEM to an assistant.

We're stepping on the chopper skid at 10,500 when he looks back at me all white and says,"I'm trusting you with my life, so don't fuck up"...I said the feeling is mutual, nodded at the vidiot and off we go!

I no more than get the drogue out and us turned to the sun when I could SWEAR im tasting eggs...yeah, eggs and some bacon, maybe a hint of some coffee in there too! :|

Figured out pretty quick what was happening since MY breakfast was the usual OJ & Oatmeal...

As I turned my head to try and spit some of the chunks out of my mouth, the second barrage begins and now I got pancakes (i hope) stuck BEHIND my sunglasses!

My vidiot is laughing so hard I'm surprised he had the good sense to fly behind us to hopefully at least, get some usable footage...

Landing in front of his camera crew a PA hands 'Mr. Nerves of Steel' a mic, which he just drops and say 'Wrap..I need to go lay down' B|

And THAT kids...is why you never see ME smiling in a tandem vid, MY mouth is shut tight! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

That's a funny one Airtwardo!

That reminds me of a rodeo, I was at, years ago. I was behind the chutes working some rosin into my rigging, and getting ready to get on my bronc.

Along comes Billy the Bull Rider. This guy owned a bar nearby. He wasn't riding our circuit, but he was able to enter as a home town cowboy.

Old Billy had probably been on a bull or two, but you could see the fear in his face. He had a whole herd of people with him. They'd all come to see Billy get on his bull.

The bull pen was right behind the chutes. He'd come to look at the bull he had drawn. Billy's passel of friends were in the way.

Old Tornado stood there looking at Billy and all his buds. This was a big bull, with a big hump on his shoulders. His horns were sawed off at the tip.

Heck, I even got a little scared looking at that bull. All of Billy's friends got a kick out of all this. Some of them were giggling with excitement. Billy wasn't laughing though....he stared for some time, at this mean looking bull.

"I know you can ride him, Billy," one piped up.

"He's a mean looking, son-of-bitch, isn't he Bill," another added.

A few seconds later, old Billy said, in a weak voice, "I didn't know he had horns. I don't like riding bulls with horns."

When the Bull riding finally rolled around, Billy was nowhere to be found. I'd be willing to bet, that old Bill was back at the bar, riding his bar stool....

Hi Mr T

I bet that big boy ate a extra big breakfast, before the tandem.

Lucky you:(

Thread drift:Did your demo team ever get his gear back[:/]

R.

No Chucks gear is still out there somewhere, it will turn up, got the team name all over it and there aren't too many rigs like it. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes, I have one of a few. We were at Elsinore for the Steve Fielding night record attempts. I lost one of my log books and can't pony up the participitants but Al Kruger, Bud Kruger, Sam Marshall Bob Nelson, Me. It was a 16 man record attempt colder than a well diggers ass (as usual) We exited out of a beech and a howard and it didn't go too bad but broke and then we reformed. I remember that we keyed on Bud and when he left we all did. I remember looking at Bud and he shook his hands up and down and boogied. I looked down and thought that we had been spotted over the Ortegas but that wasn't the case we were low. I turned and tracked off and pulled but had to use both hands on the rip cord. (borrowed Dale Thurbers rig) I got opened and there was one jumper below me I think it was Sam and Al Kruger was above me. We had less than 200 feet left. I REALLY miss the 10 man speed stars. I quit because there was no more of that.
D4021, C8295, California Parachutist ID card #237, USPA ASO WE/10 7022 7202. Never did send my NSCR from '73 in but still have the old paper work filled out.

Kevin,

I was on that load, I remember it well my first experience with a ground loop. I knew the guy that was flying at the time and he was a low time PP with no tail dragger experience. Larry Perkins should have known better but he could be pretty easy going. I was back by the door and I was pinned up there and could not move. At the time I thought if this was in the air no way anybody could get out.
D4021, C8295, California Parachutist ID card #237, USPA ASO WE/10 7022 7202. Never did send my NSCR from '73 in but still have the old paper work filled out.

Not so scary, but funny. Mid 80s flying C-182 at Woodstock Conn. I have 3 jumpers, and an observer in the hot seat(next to me, sitting on floor, back to the Inst. panel). One guy getting out at about 4,000 and the other 2 at 7,000. Observer is fine, also has a pilots rig on. Fine till I open the Door, Scared as scared can be. First guy exits past him OK, I then shut the door. Observer starts screaming, I yell WHAT, and start looking around expecting to see an eminent mid air. Him screaming, me yelling What, What? Finally He points with his right hand at his left hand which was over his head and resting along the door frame, his left thumb is caught in the door. I open the door and release his thumb. The screaming stops. The rest of the flight went OK, he just quivered with his eyes closed when the other guys left. Later I asked him why he didn't tell me about his thumb sooner. He said cause I didn't want you to open the door.

Steve1, are you Steve Parker?

Nope...

I miss those days too. Relative work was more layed back...if you messed up...well, that was to be expected.

When you left, the plane, the star was often hard to even see. Some of those exits were really strung out.

About all you had to remember, was to look for something round, and get in....

Would this happen to be the dive you are talking about?

Sparky

Nope, that was the original 16 man record. My brain got fogged up and instead of 16 man record I should have posted 20 man record attempt. We did do another 16 man but that happened on 12/8/73. The time everyone went low we were holding so everybody could get in and got carried away with it. On one of those night record attempts I was jumping a Piglett and when it opened ( always a HARD opening) I could hear a lot of fluttering but couldn't see anything. I knew the darn thing had a hole in it but I couldn't see it and really couldn't tell how fast I was descending. I listened to it until I got to 12/1500 and cut away to my reserve. when we got down Mike Jenkings found the canopy and it looked like someone had shot it five or six times
with a shotgun, it was full of holes everywhere. Hank gave me a new canopy.

http://www.parachutehistory.com/skydive/records/night/16night.html