freakbrother

Freak Brothers

My 1st FB Convention...the last one @ Freeport (Freakport), 13 or so DC/3-C-47's, Beech 99. Watched 2 people bounce inside of a 2 hour period or so. Watched a CRW entanglement result in a guy chopping it @ 300' under a Safety Flyer Ram Air Reserve....just had time to PLF, left brakes stowed. Watched a 98-way record attempt with one guy low, who dumped, got above attempt, chopped it went after it again, went low again landed under Reserve (got free pack job from Riggers based on "ballsy/crazy" move). Old Firestone/Surgar Alpha DC-3 blew an engine, crew worked till O dark thirty in the morning, did flight test, buzzed the campground SO LOW it de-compressed most/all tents...and as that wonderful drone of P&W radials went off in the distance all you could hear in the dark were skydivers cussing, laughing, exclaiming...Please tell me I'm remembering a lot of this correctly!!! LAP

My 1st FB Convention...the last one @ Freeport (Freakport), 13 or so DC/3-C-47's, Beech 99. Watched 2 people bounce inside of a 2 hour period or so. Watched a CRW entanglement result in a guy chopping it @ 300' under a Safety Flyer Ram Air Reserve....just had time to PLF, left brakes stowed. Watched a 98-way record attempt with one guy low, who dumped, got above attempt, chopped it went after it again, went low again landed under Reserve (got free pack job from Riggers based on "ballsy/crazy" move). Old Firestone/Surgar Alpha DC-3 blew an engine, crew worked till O dark thirty in the morning, did flight test, buzzed the campground SO LOW it de-compressed most/all tents...and as that wonderful drone of P&W radials went off in the distance all you could hear in the dark were skydivers cussing, laughing, exclaiming...Please tell me I'm remembering a lot of this correctly!!! LAP

Yup......you got most of it.....except for the two guys who did the lowpull contest over Roger and the Mayor of Freeport.
They opened about 300 feet....Roger chased em down , dumped their reserves and booted em out of the boogie.
Remember that ?

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

MY first one too. Sugar Alpha blew the jug when it was flying the 2-ton 20way, all the BaseBoys were on that, minimum of 200 lbs each.

The Cutaway wasn't intentional crew, the guy had lost his glasses and when he saw the other canopy hit his foot and partially wrap it, he chopped. Made me a believer in square reserves because it happened right over my head.

We also had the Big Dick load, John Walrond became Big Dick #1, and the all-schoolteacher load "Class Act.

One of the bounces hit her head on the DC-3 door on exit and the other was jumping a belly-band that two jumpmasters had checked before she got on the plane.

Saw fireflies for the first time and the biggest lightning storm of my life while I tried to sleep in the car.

Great time.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

One of the low pullers was a guy from Dallas first name Levi, (who has sinced bounced), and you aer so right...a low pull contest in the fullest of definitions!! I remember the crowd screaming too..thanks for reminding me of that. Lap

One of the low pullers was a guy from Dallas first name Levi, (who has sinced bounced), and you aer so right...a low pull contest in the fullest of definitions!! I remember the crowd screaming too..thanks for reminding me of that. Lap

I just happened to be walking down the row where they were selling t-shirts with a couple of buddies.
Coincidently Roger was giving the mayor and a few city officials a walking tour just ahead of us. I got to see it all first hand. I do remember the screaming.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Saw fireflies for the first time and the biggest lightning storm of my life while I tried to sleep in the car.

Great time.

madjohn

Hey, my first FB Boogie too! I remember that storm. A friend & I walked down one of the taxiways/runways until we were well away from the camping area/lights, set up my borrowed Canon TLB on a tri-pod & used a remote cable to open the shutter hoping for some lightening pics. One of the 3 or 4 we took wasn't too bad. Wow, was it DARK out there! :o

The girl that hit her head, I watched that from the ground. My first, & last, time seeing someone go in. Sad...

Heard about the low pull contest after the boogie, probably the next year at Quincy. Talk about bad timing... and bad spot! :S

First jump one morning our group ended up on the Islander. Problem was, it had rained the night before & the door was left open on the plane so the (shag) carpet was wet. It was 13° at 13K, 80+ on the ground (at 8AM). Since I hit the base just a little hard during the jump, I landed out on the edge of the airport. One of the local kids wanted an autograph (remember doing that?), so as I was signing his book, he asked if it was cold "up there?" I touched his cheek (on his face you perverts!) with the back of my hand & the poor kid must have jumped 3 feet in the air!

Who remembers the spaghetti on Thursday evening? ;)
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My first boogie was in Big Foot, Wi., 1979. I remember a girl who got in a canopy wrap just above the landing area, she was pregnant, lost the baby, but she recovered from what I re-call.

A guy we came with cooked brownies in a cardboard box infused with a half gallon of hash oil he smuggled from Jamaica...people were lost in the corn field after going in the field to take a leak, hanging on the the flag line scared to let go...funny stuff at the time.

The DC-3 would hit a large bump on the grass runway, bounce in the air for a while, back to the ground, gain more speed, and then finally get air.

Almost 30 years ago, my first boogie, and my memory may still be fuzzy at best from the brownies...lol.

My first boogie was in Big Foot, Wi., 1979. I remember a girl who got in a canopy wrap just above the landing area, she was pregnant, lost the baby, but she recovered from what I re-call.

A guy we came with cooked brownies in a cardboard box infused with a half gallon of hash oil he smuggled from Jamaica...people were lost in the corn field after going in the field to take a leak, hanging on the the flag line scared to let go...funny stuff at the time.

The DC-3 would hit a large bump on the grass runway, bounce in the air for a while, back to the ground, gain more speed, and then finally get air.

Almost 30 years ago, my first boogie, and my memory may still be fuzzy at best from the brownies...lol.

I was there! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Just saw the FB website, and it brought back memories. Anybody remember the Booze Brothers band from the old conventions?

-Jay
FB#1308
NNFB#131 (I think)

I remember them well. One member of the group, Bobby Blanchard, was a first rate skydiver.

Mike Anderson
D-9493

----------------------------------------------------------
Are guys talking about the '83 convention where Norman Kent premiered the "Freak Brothers" movie in the hangar? The Booze Brothers and Rare Earth rocked the place down that night! I got my #FB 1371 at the '83 convention, so I figure we were there at the same time. At least I think I was there ... I remember arriving and departing and not much in between!;)