diverds

How long has your dz been around?

I've been told that our club in Western Montana is the oldest active Collegiant club in the nation. I don't recall the year it started, but I think it was in the 50's. B.J. Worth got his start there. It started in Missoula, but is now located in Stevensville. Steve1

DeLand is having their 20th Anniversary today! B|

True, but according to the history sheet at the DZ, there has been skydiving at Deland since 1958, that's 44 years.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

DeLand... 1974... College National Championships..
competed in accuracy and team accuracy,,, as a junior in college,,, for me it was my first trip south of Jersey....A guy named Gary Douris ran it. A guy named Terry Schroeder ( i think) was manager. Mike Truffer was the meet director (I think) hahaha..... maybe my memory was not so good,,,,,,'cause it was the 70's;).... but they were skydivin' there,,,,,then......and so were we!!!!!! jt

Unfortunately, the "continuous operation" fails for Orange, MA. I made my first jump there and lots of others, but it was not in jumping operation from the early 80's to the mid '90s.

HW

they were just at a different location and moved back didn't they? It's pretty cool that the police force has a parachute in their symbol in Orange.

Well, a little more complicated. Orange opened as a commercial DZ in '59 operated by Parachutes Inc. It hosted the '62 World Meet and the '65 Nationals. It closed in the early '80s.

The Massachsetts Sport Parachute Club, now DBA Jumptown MSPC, operated from the early '60s and maybe earlier at Turners Falls, MA, and moved to Orange in the lateish '90s when its clubhouse fell apart. It is closely associated with the University of Massachusetts/Amherst and with MIT.

Pepperell, MA was a DZ from the early 60s and has been through several ownerships since then but has been in more or less continuous operation for close to 40 years. It was, despite competing claims, the first US DZ to use a Twin Otter, in the spring of 1972. Many now well-known jumpers got their SCR/SCS awards there.

Yup, it's neat that the Orange police have a square on their patches and cars. A long time ago, it was a C-9 round.

HW

SSPC at Strathallan in Scotaland is one of the oldest in Europe..in continuous operation...it has been in operation since 1960.
It was and still is, owned and operated by the club members, so is truly a club, as opposed to a business venture.
And a very nice place to jump it is too.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I jump at Skydive Burnaby in Southern Ontario. Just recently it changed from the St Catherines Parachute Club to Skydive Burnaby. St Catherines Parachute club is the oldest skydiving club in North America and it is still operational although it doesn't own the DZ anymore.

It was established in 1948.