diverds

How long has your dz been around?

Kansas State Univ Parachute club has been jumping since the mid-60s...rumor has it that we are the oldest colligiate club in the US

Sorry, Beav. From the USMA site:

SPORT PARACHUTE TEAM

CODE: JUMP
DCA ACTIVITY SINCE: AY 57-58

SPONSOR: Garrison Commander (1st Bn - 1st In)

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: The Cadet Sport Parachute Team's purpose is to provide
cadets the opportunity to participate in the sport as a recreation and on a
competitive basis with the following objectives:

-Provide cadets with opportunity to develop leadership and confidence.
-Field a cadet parachute team to compete in intercollegiate, military,
and civilian sport parachute meets.
-Project the image of the Corps of Cadets by providing free-fall
demonstration teams for public gatherings.
-Provide sport parachuting facilities for the recreation of members of
the club.

HISTORY / SPECIAL EVENTS / AWARDS:

-1994 Activity appeared on the local televison show "Good Day New
York".
-1991 National Collegiate Parachuting Title: Cadet Robert O'Brien
-1991 Overall Collegiate National Championship Team

Of course, then it doesn't look like the Black Knights did anything from 1957 until 1991, but they may just be modest.;)
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Kansas State Univ Parachute club has been jumping since the mid-60s...rumor has it that we are the oldest colligiate club in the US

Sorry, Beav. From the USMA site:
We may have a tie. I did some checking, and the Silvertip Skydivers in Montana supposedly started in 1957 also. I thought it was 1958, but I was wrong. Our club did send some competitors to the nationals a few times, but I'm not sure how they did. I'll have to do some more checking. Our club sent a team to Star, Idaho in about 1974 that did build the first all collegiant 8-way. I remember it because it is about my only claim to fame. I was 4th in. B.J. Worth and his sister Chris (Sam) flew pin base. Ray Cottingham filmed it. The air force academy was also there competing. I scanned a picture of our team earlier and put it in the RW section. I think it was under Ray Cottingham. By the way, does anyone know how Ray is doing? I heard he underwent open heart surgery recently. Steve1

By the way, does anyone know how Ray is doing? I heard he underwent open heart surgery recently.

He's back in the air again shooting big ways and formation loads for Doug and Marilyn Wuest at Skydive Elsinore. It looks like he's in better shape now and doing well.B|

1948, thats amazing- 55 yrs.
Gotta check Skydive Burnaby out this year!

My home d.z. is Horizon Aerosports/Abbotsford Para Centre Vancouver, B.C. Canada.

I am imbarrased not to know history of my d.z. too well! I know Gerald Harper started skydiving in his native New Zealand in 1967. By coincidence his teacher would be the same person running a Matsqui skydiving centre when he arrived in Canada a few years later. Gerald worked at the site before taking it over in 1977-
When I started jumping in 1987, Gerald & Debbie Harper were operators....so that makes the d.z. 26 yrs. old.

Smiles;)

[\quote]

The big Polish guy may have thought he was "world famous", but the strippers knew better.

Speaking of strippers...
"Bertha" from OK City called trying to get in touch with you...
She said something about leaving her crutch and eye patch in your room, I told her we'd be back this year...
Bertha says she'll " KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR YA!"

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I made it to Skydive Pennsylvania earlier this winter. The weather was windy so we couldn't jump. I did like the looks of their operation though. The owner was very friendly and they jump a turbine on a regular basis. I'll have to go back some day. Steve1

The DZ nearest here, (Wonderboom, Pretoria, South Africa) is celebrating their 40th birthday this Easter and is the second oldest in SA. The oldest has been going since 1955. Both operate in their origional locations.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

No Way... just 20 years.. I remember jumping there about 1975 when I was on leave and visiting my aunt in Jacksonville. Maybe someone else was running it. It certainly was not the place it is now though. I watched some videos that they have out at our local DZ ( Snohomish) and recognize the countryside and just knew it was Deland. By the way.. are there still billions of sandspurs around there????

No Way... just 20 years.. I remember jumping there about 1975 when I was on leave and visiting my aunt in Jacksonville. Maybe someone else was running it. It certainly was not the place it is now though. I watched some videos that they have out at our local DZ ( Snohomish) and recognize the countryside and just knew it was Deland. By the way.. are there still billions of sandspurs around there????

Read the rest of the thread for the answer to your first comment; as for the second, thankfully, Deland has been pretty well clear of sandspurs in the last 7-8 years that I have jumped there. We seemed to have the problem licked at Flagler (well at least tolerable), but I'm pretty sure the lack of activity there the past two years has lost all that progress.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

From the website for Seattle Skydivers.

Welcome to

www.SeattleSkydivers.org

Since 1954, The Oldest Continuously-Run Skydiving Association in the United States (no foolin'!)

Our charter: "To promote parachuting and skydiving as a sport and promote safety in all parachuting activities"

Did you know that...

Seattle Skydiver Patty Chernis was the first to propose a "USPA Safety Day". Chernis died in a skydiving mishap shortly before the US Parachute Association adopted the idea.

A common skydiving modification to the passenger-side door of a Cessna 182 was first performed at Snohomish. The modification moved the hinges of the door from the front to the top, so that the door could be safely opened and closed in flight. Cessna 182 doors with the passenger-side skydiving modification were known forever after as "Snohomish Doors".
A good bunch of people at Skydive Snohomish but the East Field Landing thing for anyone less than a CURRENT D license >:( for landing right at the Harvey Field is getting a bit thin....sheesh I learned how to spot and do accuracy under rounds fer chrissake.

I think they have used several DZ's over the years.. Harvey Field... Issaquah ( now a parking lot for Costco) and Kapowsin is close as well. I made my first jump there at Kapowsin Field on Saturday... WOW the view of Mt Rainier is AWSUM.

Amazon D-4888

More re Abbotsford Parachute Center

The center was started by a group of four clubs in 1963 and has been in operation ever since. There have been several operators over the years including Jim Taylor,Bill Hardman,Dick Poizer,Don Maitland and Gerry Harper. Herb Porter owned the center and aircraft until Gerry Harper took over the operation. In the early years Herb was one of the few pilots who knew that a Cessna would fly without a door and a jumper on the step. He was a booster of the sport in the early years. There were free jumps New Years Day.

Star, Idaho since 1969. Almost non stop operation over that time period. This place used to be a drag strip in the 50's and 60' called "Thunder Ridge" I have operated Snake River Skydiving here since 1994. The Collegiate Nationals were held here in 1976 I beleive. This is a private DZ out in the country only 16 miles from downtown Boise and it ROCKS!

www.snakeriverskydiving.com

Larry D-16806

Star, Idaho since 1969. Almost non stop operation over that time period. This place used to be a drag strip in the 50's and 60' called "Thunder Ridge" I have operated Snake River Skydiving here since 1994. The Collegiate Nationals were held here in 1976 I beleive. This is a private DZ out in the country only 16 miles from downtown Boise and it ROCKS!

I haven't been there since about 74. Did you know Wally Benton, Steve Morrow, Sully, or Rozzo? They were hard core Idaho jumpers back then. I heard Rozzo still jumps. Wally and Sully are both dead. Hope to see you at your boogie this Spring....Steve1