Bye_gravity

Victoria vs Vancouver?

I got mails from both UBC and UV, both of which have DZs pretty close by. But DZ Vancouver seems to be more a bit more expensive though, and I didn't know you need to reserve tickets online. Also oddly enough the lifts only go up to 10,000ft. Just wondering which city's DZs are more fun jumper friendly? (Overall hardware, loads frequency, etc.)
You fly with the wind, or the wind flies you.

Both major cities each have their own pair of dropzones.

Victoria is served by Capital City Skydivers and Victoria Skydivers. Both schools fly their Cessna 182s from Victoria International Airport and land I farm fields to the south. On a clear day you can see the Gulf Islands, Olympic Penninsula and Mount Rainier from 10,000 feet. Then you enjoy a 20 minute van ride back to the airport. Both offer tandem, IAD and gradual freefall training. Good vibes at both DZs 'cus they share many of the same fun jumpers.
If Saturday dawns sunny, I will go do tandems for Victoria Skydivers.

The big city: Vancouver is also served by a pair of DZs, but they are much farther from the city centre. Pitt Meadows always jumps in controlled airspace to avoid heavy jet traffic headed for Vancouver International Airport. Abby jump-pilots chat with ATC at Abbottsford Municipal Airport. Both DZs routinely climb to 12,000 feet .... maybe more if ATC is in a good mood.

Vancouver Skydivers are closest to downtown Vancouver , at Pitt Meadows Airport. You can ride public transit (Skytrain and bus) to within 2 kilometres of Pitt Meadows Airport. Their airlift varies from Cessnas to King Airs. The last couple of seasons they have flown a shiny Navajo. PM's year end BBQ is this Saturday (2017 Sept 23). I may be biased towards Pitt because I worked there full-time for 11 years.

The other Vancouver DZ is even farther out at Abbotsford ..... almost to the Mission Bridge! They run a shuttle van from downtown Van' but that is mainly for tandem students. Airlift includes a Porter, a Kodiak and a flock of single-engined Cessnas. Much more partying at Abby.

If you are trying to choose between UVic and UBC confided other factors like cost of living. Vancouver housing is frightfully expensive within 2 hours commute from the campus.

Academics should be the first criteria to decide where you go, but from a cost of living perspective, Victoria would have my vote - I visited both Vic and Van this summer, and I could see myself living in Victoria very easily.

Capital City Skydiving was a great place - the people I met there (for just one jump!) were awesome, and made me feel very welcome. They enabled me to jump in Tofino as well, and helped me get some gear I left behind back.

Skydive Vancouver (I didn't make it to Pitt Meadows) was expensive and it's in the middle of nowhere, but good people for sure.

There's also Skydive Vancouver Island in Qualicum Beach - and everyone speaks super highly of Gord, who runs in - indeed, I didn't jump there because I had the chance to go to Tofino, and he was trying to help organize getting gear I forgot at CCS back to me. Definitely a great community on the Island.

Bye_gravity

Thanks Rob! Is it possible to get maybe 9-10 jumps per day on the weekend at DZ Victoria?

It is generally not ever possible to get that many jumps at a one Cessna DZ anywhere. (unless you are an instructor) You obviously are used to jumping only at a large market turbine DZ. There is a whole world of frustration and great new people out there waiting for you to meet.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Lawndarter

unless of course you're talking about Eloy or Perris.

Because my home dropzone is Perris, so I am kind of accustomed to that level of load frequency. The last thing I want being a college student is having to drive 4 hrs every week back and forth to the DZ and only get to make a couple jumps because weather or tandem get in the way.:S
You fly with the wind, or the wind flies you.

Bye_gravity

***unless of course you're talking about Eloy or Perris.

Because my home dropzone is Perris, so I am kind of accustomed to that level of load frequency. The last thing I want being a college student is having to drive 4 hrs every week back and forth to the DZ and only get to make a couple jumps because weather or tandem get in the way.:Swell, either stay in Perris (or similar), or suck it up and discover skydiving in the way most of the world does it :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Today I did 5 tandems at Victoria Skydivers. My best day I did 8.
My best day at Pitt Meadows included 14 tandems.
Sport jumpers can match those numbers if they pack quickly and consistently meet the plane when it lands.

For 10 a day, you will need to jump at the bigger "resort" DZs that fly multiple Twin Otters .... none in Canada.

Also consider that the jumping season in Canada is half as long as Perris. Pitt Meadows hosted their year-end BBQ today and most Canadian DZs close between Halloween and Easter.

Sorry if I got you all excited about Pitt Meadows.

I only heard the bad news Saturday evening. Pitt Meadows is closed for the season and for the next few years.
People have jumped at Pitt Meadows since the 1960s, but the last couple of years have been too slow because of uncooperative ATC and runway upgrades. They simply could not fly enough days to earn a living.
Sunday evening, the sunset load included 10 belly-fliers trying to build a formation.

riggerrob

Sorry if I got you all excited about Pitt Meadows.

I only heard the bad news Saturday evening. Pitt Meadows is closed for the season and for the next few years.
People have jumped at Pitt Meadows since the 1960s, but the last couple of years have been too slow because of uncooperative ATC and runway upgrades. They simply could not fly enough days to earn a living.
Sunday evening, the sunset load included 10 belly-fliers trying to build a formation.

Damn, now I really wish I'd gone there when I was in BC in July. Are they going to look for a new place to operate?