RMK

Empuriabrava, Spain – Updated Info

I haven’t been to Empuriabrava in a few years, regarding hotels historically the three hotels near the dropzone were:

1) Ampuria InnHotel nicest of three, with great pool area
2) Hotel Castell Blanc OK, but rubbish air-con system
3) Hotel Silvia always seemed to have new owners and in disarray

On the other end of town there was Hotel Port Salins which was “upscale” by skydiver standards.

For a short-notice three-day weekend, is Ampuria Inn or Hotel Port Salins still the best pick? Anything else new and nearby? Not really concerned on price; OK to pay more if it's nice - hard beds and shit aircon are my bane.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

In recent years I have stayed at the Hotel Portofino. Suprisingly nice hotel and only a short walk into town. I am pretty sure they have a Skydiver rate so I suggest you mail them if you are interested in staying there.

Thanks for the notes above. I’ve already been/returned from Empuriabrava and as it was just my son and myself, I just booked a room at the AmpuriaInn.

As an update on AmpuriaInn, the room was clean, AC worked well and staff friendly. However, if you are with a spouse/partner (non-skydiver), I’d now give it a miss. It is under new ownership and whoever the new owner is, he/she has no sense of style/design in regard to hotels. They have turned the place into a “festival” of tacky. The once nice restaurant and breakfast are now ruined and cheap/messy. They’ve augmented the prior “stylish” makeover in the mid-2000s with gaudiness in every area.

Should I visit again with family, I will now either get adjoining rooms at Hotel Port Salins or find a nice villa on Airbnb.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

AmpuriaInn is a really nice option for the price. As it is close.
It just has too thin walls - I once woke up in the middle of the night because someone in the next room farted really loud. Just be aware of that. But if you a lot of tunnel and jumping you will sleep tight anyway.