JP_1337

Safety considerations for costume jump (full Tuxedo)

Couple things before I get into my question:

- Yes, at 20 jumps I am not planning to do a costume jump any time soon. I am researching and planning for the future.

- I have read through as many costume threads as I could find, and found some interesting info but what I am looking for is a bit more specific.

So, many traditions dictate that a persons 100th jump should be nude.
Can't say that I'm a big fan of baring my bits in freefall, let alone landing! I saw some jumpers do a 100th jump dressed as Power Rangers and I thought that was great, so I want to plan for something more 'me'.

I would love to do a jump in full blacktie tuxedo with tophat!

I think this would be fun, look great, and be a great way to celebrate a milestone I am so looking forward to reaching. (Worth the slab)

The plan:

- Top hat
- Bow tie
- White gloves
- Tuxedo
- Cummerbund
- Shiny shoes

The question:

What do I need to do to make that 'jump safe'?

I am thinking I will probably need to stitch the top hat to a frap hat to keep it on my head.

The bow tie will have velcro on it, as I don't like things around my neck.

The tails of the tux I might see about velcroing to the pants to stop them flapping up and adding a risk to grabbing the PC handle.

My mother is a seamstress so the whole thing will be made from scratch out of appropriate materials so that I have freedom to move the way I need.

What considerations do I need to be aware of? I.e. buttons vs velcro vs snaps etc.

What specific risks do I need to be wary of when wearing such a costume for a jump?

Basically I want this to be as close to a legit tux as possible, not a jumpsuit that looks like a tux.

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm not in a hurry to get this done, I've got a lot of jumping to do and a lot of skills to work on. I just want to start planning now so that when I do it, I'm not compromising my safety for a good camera shot.

Open to all suggestions.

Cheers
_____
SPLAT

To start with there's no reason you have to do it from altitude - you could do it as a hop & pop or even as a static line if the DZ has the equipment available.

A group of my friends got a whole plane load of experienced people to do a static line jump just for shits and giggles when one of them had a celebration jump. Just make sure there are gear appropriate briefs for anyone who has never done a static line jump before - hell, probably a good idea for anyone unless they're an instructor given the likely passage of time since they were last on the rope.

Have an experienced rigger (one who is good at repairs and sewing, not just repacks) look at anything wierd you want to wear while jumping. Usually the only way to keep clothing in place is to sew it - and a rigger will know more about what that takes than any other seamstress.

I recommend jumping the shoes alone to practice landing skills before going full costume - change only one thing at a time - if that's your clothes, cool, just be smart about it and get an in person gear (and costume!) check before you go.

sammielu

I recommend jumping the shoes alone to practice landing skills before going full costume

I hadn't even thought about the landing with different shoes, thanks for the tip. And I will definitely be getting help from the rigger at the DZ & having the gear/costume checked by the rigger and DZSO at the DZ. My DZ is big on safety.

Glitch

Look for a magician's top hat... the kind that 'pops open' and don after landing (or under canopy if the hat fits tight enough).

I would prefer if I could wear the top hat during free fall, because that would be awesome. But this is an option if that isn't possible.

The brim of the top hat will definitely catch wind like a beast, which is why I thought if I stitch it to an old frap hat (easy enough to find for cheap) it will stay on better than it just having some elastic such as the mad hatter top hat in the video posted.

Btw that vid was pretty cool. Much more frilly than I would go for, but great inspiration of what can be achieved.

Contemplating holding a fake rose in my teeth or something silly just for laughs. A great goal to work towards, build my RW skills so I can have an awesome jump (I'm a bigger guy, going to have to work really hard during B-rels and practicing RW)
_____
SPLAT

Echo -> get a rigger's help. The earlier in the process of getting stuff together, the better.

If you have someone around that is experienced in jumping demos in costume, get them to go over your costume as well. I did a rodeo demo in full western gear (sans hat)... Things you don't think of... the boot's heals were a challenge climbing out of a Citabria and deserving of much care upon landing.

I am VERY glad you're looking at things that do not require a mask. Leave that sh!t for much later.

I like the idea of sewing the top-hat to a frap. This is where your rigger can help as it will need to be very secure.

Look for stuff that comes loose, introduces snags, can be blown into bad locations (covering handles) or catch air and make you fly differently than you are used to...

Finally, some things don't necessarily like the abuse of freefall speeds. My Santa hat was fine for the jump-pics, but was looking well worn by the time I landed.

Be safe, have fun!!

JW
ps - in 1600 jumps, the least I have jumped in is a pair of cut-offs and sneakers... (lesson there - Remember that removing flight control/drag surfaces change how you fly too)
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

fcajump

Things you don't think of... the boot's heals were a challenge climbing out of a Citabria and deserving of much care upon landing.

I have enough trouble climbing in and out of a Citabria on the ground! :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

fcajump

Echo -> get a rigger's help. The earlier in the process of getting stuff together, the better.

If you have someone around that is experienced in jumping demos in costume, get them to go over your costume as well. I did a rodeo demo in full western gear (sans hat)... Things you don't think of... the boot's heals were a challenge climbing out of a Citabria and deserving of much care upon landing.

I am VERY glad you're looking at things that do not require a mask. Leave that sh!t for much later.

I like the idea of sewing the top-hat to a frap. This is where your rigger can help as it will need to be very secure.

Look for stuff that comes loose, introduces snags, can be blown into bad locations (covering handles) or catch air and make you fly differently than you are used to...

Finally, some things don't necessarily like the abuse of freefall speeds. My Santa hat was fine for the jump-pics, but was looking well worn by the time I landed.

Be safe, have fun!!

JW
ps - in 1600 jumps, the least I have jumped in is a pair of cut-offs and sneakers... (lesson there - Remember that removing flight control/drag surfaces change how you fly too)

A lot of great advice in here, thanks!
_____
SPLAT

Upon last Haloween, a lady friend of mine made a jump with a costume a bit too slack. At opening time, her deployment handle got stuck into her costume fold. She then decided to pull her reserve for the first time.

Personnally, years ago, I was dispatching students in static line from 2800 feet. I had no jumpsuit, just shorts and sweeter. I had an early Wonderhog with a pilot chute poach on a belly band. I jumped after the last student out. At opening time 5 seconds later, guess what, my sweeter had covered the belly band and the p/c poach. I have been cool enough to lift up the edge of the sweeter with my left hand and grab and launch my p/c handle... The rest of the jump was unventful. A good lesson for me.

I also have had a zipper malfunction on my jumpsuit. The zipper gave up in freefall. I had then an inflated jumpsuit. At opening time, I couldn't grab my BOC handle, I tried twice then I deployed my reserve.

Beware of slack clothes while jumping
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.