Lawndarter

California/Arizona in December 2016 - Places to Go?

Over Christmas leave I'm heading to California and Arizona. I'm doing Flight-101 and 102 at Elsinore on the 17th/18th, and the 18,000' jump at Monterey Bay, that's planned so far. I'm wondering what else I should see/do. I'm booked to stay at the bunkhouse at Elsinore and I'm trying to avoid renting a car, so thought a post on here might help me meet some new folks along the way. And maybe hitch some rides, or something.

I'm a pretty new skydiver, A-licensed, and looking for opportunities to get better, hence the Flight-1 courses. Any suggestions people might have for places to check out (Perris I'm sure, I'm told getting from Elsinore to Perris shouldn't be too hard.)

I know Eloy has a boogie between Christmas and New Year, though by the time I'm in Arizona, I'll have my lovely, generally tolerant whuffo wife with me, and we're staying with my parents, so taking off on her is not likely to happen. It might have to wait for another time!

Lawndarter

Over Christmas leave I'm heading to California and Arizona. I'm doing Flight-101 and 102 at Elsinore on the 17th/18th, and the 18,000' jump at Monterey Bay, that's planned so far. I'm wondering what else I should see/do. I'm booked to stay at the bunkhouse at Elsinore and I'm trying to avoid renting a car, so thought a post on here might help me meet some new folks along the way. And maybe hitch some rides, or something.

I'm a pretty new skydiver, A-licensed, and looking for opportunities to get better, hence the Flight-1 courses. Any suggestions people might have for places to check out (Perris I'm sure, I'm told getting from Elsinore to Perris shouldn't be too hard.)

I know Eloy has a boogie between Christmas and New Year, though by the time I'm in Arizona, I'll have my lovely, generally tolerant whuffo wife with me, and we're staying with my parents, so taking off on her is not likely to happen. It might have to wait for another time!

LOL Im doing the reverse, Eloy boogie then over to SoCal there's a few DZs not far from Snore. (which is my 2nd home) Perris is 30mins away, and Oceanside is coastal and south, Skydive San Diego is further south again. at your level all places would have something fun for you to do B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

LOL Im doing the reverse, Eloy boogie then over to SoCal there's a few DZs not far from Snore. (which is my 2nd home) Perris is 30mins away, and Oceanside is coastal and south, Skydive San Diego is further south again. at your level all places would have something fun for you to do B|

That's basically what I figured - though Oceanside requires a B. I might be able to do that while I'm at Elsinore - 17 more jumps and I just need to see that I have the actual skill requirements or arrange to get them while I'm down there. I'll definitely get an 18,000ft jump at Monterey in, the canopy courses, and I wound up finding a deal on renting a car so I ca get around more easily than I thought it would be - car rentals from LA are nuts, but I found a deal by flying from Monterey to San Diego and getting a car.

The drag is the US exchange rate is killer right now.

Skydive Arizona's Holiday Boogie goes 12/24-1/1. Awesome activities every day (and night).
If you're in AZ earlier, there's also a Thanksgiving boogie (Thursday-Sunday); that one has no registration fee. $21 jumps and National Champion 4-way team Arizona Airspeed organizing!

Winter is always a good time to visit SDAZ in that there are load organizers for both belly and freefly every day, and there are a lot of people in town from all over so there are always interesting people to meet and jump with. On the busier weekends, they'll have the Skyvan running along with the Otter and the Caravan; and during the winter boogies they'll bring out the DC-3 (the only DC-3 jump-plane in the world).

That jump at Monterey sounds fun, but keep in mind that per the SIM you need a minimum of a B license and 100 jumps to make a (non-tandem) jump from altitudes of 15k-20k MSL!

Ah, good to know - well, I'll jump Monterey either way. I'm trying to find a way to spend a day at SDAZ. My family is in Yuma and I have to go make nice for the holidays, but I also have to pick my wife up at the airport in Phoenix on the 24th - so I am thinking that I'll go up the day before and at least get in a couple of jumps then go get her. Fortunately, unless my folks decide to sell their place, I'll be in Arizona pretty much every year, so if I don't get there this time, there will be other opportunities.

jacketsdb23

Also, keep in mind Monterrey is quite a drive from Elsinore! Plan accordingly.

Most important, have fun! And be safeish...

Oh, I know. I'm visiting friends in Monterey specifically.

I'm flying to Denver, taking the train to San Francisco (well, to Emeryville and a bus across the bay), hanging out there a couple of days, then heading to Monterey to see friends and jump there, then I'm flying from Monterey to San Diego, picking up a rental car, and visiting Elsinore, Perris, and who knows what else. I think I'm going to see if I can get my B license done at Elsinore (since Flight-101 and -102 cover off the proficiency card) and then I can jump at Oceanside as well.

We'll see how it all goes.

We have about the same travel schedule! If you want to meet up, or need a ride, let me know!

I'll be landing this friday the 16th around noon at LAX, driving to Elsinore to sleep in the bunkhouse.
Travel through on monday for a day in Vegas, go on to the grand canyon.

Aiming to be at Eloy around the 23rd.

Invitation is open to anyone!

Chiemel

We have about the same travel schedule! If you want to meet up, or need a ride, let me know!

I'll be landing this friday the 16th around noon at LAX, driving to Elsinore to sleep in the bunkhouse.
Travel through on monday for a day in Vegas, go on to the grand canyon.

Aiming to be at Eloy around the 23rd.

Invitation is open to anyone!

I'm landing in LAX on the 23rd and Driving to Eloy if anyone wants to ride with.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Take advantage and get your B-License while at Elsinore. Oceanside is worth it if you are out in this area. Sky Dive San Diego has a really good view as well. Balloon Jumps are fun, its just early mornings and then I always end up driving back to Oceanside after anyways hahaha. Have fun and stay safe-ish!