msark1211

Kid Friendly Skydiving Centers

I am interested in creating a network for parents in skydiving to promote people continuing to jump after having children. I grew up in the sport and understand that it is very dangerous, but some DZ's are super kid friendly. Basically, my first step is creating a list of skydiving centers across the US and internationally that are known for being kid friendly. Please post below skydiving centers that are vs. are explicitly not kid friendly.

What is your criteria for "kid-friendly"? Having a daycare available, or a playground, or toys, or just allowing kids? In the interest of inclusiveness, I'd obviously love to welcome parents to drop zones, but after having a toddler attempt to climb my canopy as I was packing it, I'm inclined to be less charitable.

I've only visited a very limited number of drop zones, and I wouldn't describe any of them as "kid-friendly." People do bring their kids and they are welcome to do so, presuming they keep their kid under their control, and generally they do (the small climber's parent intervened within a few seconds). But if you're wanting a list of dropzones that specifically cater to kids and parents? Like, a place where you can dump your 2 year old to its own devices while you go play? I think that's going to be a pretty short list, to be honest.

I do support networking parents together, especially in this sport which is geared toward adults and has a high potential of exclusivity to parents. But in general I don't think DZs are set up to be kid-friendly, and I think it's going to take some work to get there. I could be wrong, though--there may be plenty of DZs out there with the resources and patience to make kids as welcome as adults, and I just don't know about them.

At my home DZ dogs are welcome, and the dog owners rely on each other to watch their dogs while they're jumping. Perhaps a setup like that could work? Or people could switch off minding the little ones every weekend while everyone else jumps?
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

I feel really bad about this, but I was probably that child to many people in my life. Having grown up on DZ's I would never expect facilities for children at the skydiving center, but I can say that there are some DZ's that are much more kid friendly than others. For example, I can say that taking a child to Palatka, FL would not be a big deal. Anyone who has seen Art with a child knows that it is okay to take a child out there. I can also say that I have driven 1.5 hours to a skydiving center only to find that the place was basically a hot box of marijuana and had to then turn right around with my 3 month old.

I am more looking for places that are well known for having kids/parents around the skydiving center that parents would be welcome to bring their well behaved children, very much so like the dogs. I even thought about adding a second option for dogs. I personally have both. My mom owns a skydiving center and my daughter is allowed out at the DZ, but my dog is not because he misbehaved.

msark1211

I feel really bad about this, but I was probably that child to many people in my life. Having grown up on DZ's I would never expect facilities for children at the skydiving center, but I can say that there are some DZ's that are much more kid friendly than others. For example, I can say that taking a child to Palatka, FL would not be a big deal. Anyone who has seen Art with a child knows that it is okay to take a child out there. I can also say that I have driven 1.5 hours to a skydiving center only to find that the place was basically a hot box of marijuana and had to then turn right around with my 3 month old.

I am more looking for places that are well known for having kids/parents around the skydiving center that parents would be welcome to bring their well behaved children, very much so like the dogs. I even thought about adding a second option for dogs. I personally have both. My mom owns a skydiving center and my daughter is allowed out at the DZ, but my dog is not because he misbehaved.

We all were "that child" at some point in life. Hey, my canopy is soft and made of pretty bright colors. Less than five seconds of "no no, little buddy, not for climbing," and his mom was at his side apologizing. No harm, no foul--if he'd been doing something truly dangerous, like running out to the runway, I think all of us would have been a lot stronger in our reactions.

At any rate, I think I am starting to see what you're expecting. In the three dropzones I've visited, I'd say one is what you'd consider "kid-friendly" in that, while we are all fairly vulgar and definitely enjoy a beer or two after sunset load, the place doesn't reek of weed and there aren't people running around naked. One family brings their toddler regularly and has a little collapsible play area for him to hang out in. Generally, as with dogs, as long as your kids are well-behaved and someone is watching them, they're welcome. On that note, if you're ever in Northern California, stop by Skydive California. Skydance, too, although if you stay after sunset there is more of a party atmosphere.

I guess the concern, as with dogs, is that when you start to welcome more of them, things can get out of hand. Constant communication with the parents (or dog owners, depending on the situation) about what is and isn't allowed and warning that non-compliance will result in not being allowed back seems to do the trick.

It seems a little odd to compare a kid to a dog, but in this context, the safety concerns are roughly equal. Thanks for clarifying--it sounds like what you're looking for is not "this is a perfectly appropriate playground for my kid" and more like "it's probably okay to bring the kid because even though she may get an earful of colorful language she probably won't get a contact high or an eyeful of dong," and I think that's perfectly reasonable.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

I think this is a great question and thread. I am a father of 3 with another due Tuesday! I totally understand that children around a drop zone brings up potential 'issues' (for lack of any better wording). Just knowing that there are people considering the need for a 'kid friendly' list is encouraging since I am fresh new to jumping and very dedicated to doing as much as i can with my family. I even had the kids jumping off the couch the other day as they were imitating me practicing PLFing.

Skydive Greene County in Xenia, Ohio for 55 years. Always has been and will continue to be a family oriented and kid drop zone family. Sorry we love dogs, but not allowed.

Greene, that is awesome! I am going to finish my aff here in Texas but will be moving to the Zanesville area and have visited your website. How kid friendly? Any playground? I see you are listed to have a pool and a campground... Sounds fun. How 'chill' is the tent camping area (usually)?
------------------------------------
Scientist and Physicist still do not understand gravity... Jumping out of an airplane is my attempt to help them in their quest to explain gravity.

I'd say Spaceland Houston is pretty kid-friendly. They at least used to have a playground out back, and the tandem students all suit up in the main hangar (that tends to limit language :)).

But yes, constant supervision is key. Not just when Mom or Dad isn't jumping. There are propellers spinning, people waking around carrying large packages (their rigs) blocking their vision, the landing area, etc.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)