1 1
BenediktDE

North Korea skydiving?

oops, I did not expect to ever read this:

Skydiving

For the first time ever, the DPRK will welcome foreign skydivers to our country in the spirit of international peace and friendship through air sports. Professionally qualified parachutists are invited to participate in the inaugural ‘International Friendship Skydive’, in which Korean and foreign skydivers will jump together over the Kalma Peninsula. Should you wish to take part in this unique, first time parachuting event, please contact one of the authorised Air Festival Travel Agents who will be happy to provide more information about how to join.

As well as the above, parachutists from the Pyongyang Air Club will be performing several demonstration jumps from various heights onto the runway.

(source: http://www.wonsanairfestival.com/whats-on/)
This sounds like the most exotic country to skydive! US Skydivers might have a harder time than anyone else.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

On the "How to join" page, it says:

"Kindly note that tourism to the DPRK is only possible via pre-arranged tours organised and sold by approved DPRK tour agencies... The tour arrangements, dates and itinerary must be finalised and booked in advance of travel; spontaneous, independent travel around the country is not possible."
_

I'm glad it is to promote peace and friendship.
Rob Gallo
"To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield."

I am the kind of person who likes to do things that are "once in a lifetime" opportunity. However, I obviously would not go by myself, without an "expedition leader" of a big group of sensible people - which already excludes 90% of my skydiving friends.

Of course, it would still be a bit scary. Would I go to jail if I accidentally spilled my coffee on the man's picture in a newspaper? I would never know.
Rob Gallo
"To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield."

A friend of mine was jumping there (together with three other western skydivers) and he has put some pictures online...

https://www.facebook.com/stk.petr/media_set?set=a.10210303995667469.1073741860.1568757761

I have not been to the airshow this year, but I have been to the same airport (Wonsan) last year as a part of a group of aviation enthusiasts who were invited to participate on the first commercial flight to touch down there. The airport and its facilities are brand new and pretty modern, much better than many regional airports in the west...

http://www.juchetravelservices.com/the-tours/wonsan-air-festival/skydiving/

The main point of contact for all parachuting matters will be Mr. Herman Landsman...

Other skills and opportunities e.g. canopy formation displays / wingsuit displays are actively encouraged and can be incorporated into the Festival

That does sound quite interesting...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

GoHuskers

There would probably be restrictions on gopros so its look like freefliers are out!

You should listen to the interview with Klaus; he took his GoPro with him and brought back pictures/footage.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

freeflyfree

New Zealand is wondering what a PAC P-750 XSTOL is doing flying over there hehehe

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11721444

Follow up a year later:
https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/GA-Company-Violates-North-Korea-Sanctions-229813-1.html

The text being:

A New Zealand general aviation manufacturer is facing heavy fines and its executives prison sentences for violating international trade sanctions against North Korea. Pacific Aerospace, which makes a STOL turboprop utility aircraft called the PAC 750, and its executive officers will be sentenced in January after pleading guilty to “indirectly” exporting aircraft parts to the country, which has been isolated by trade sanctions for its aggressive nuclear weapons posture. The investigation began last September when a PAC 750 showed up in Korean colors at the country’s first airshow. At the time, the Pacific Aerospace CEO said he didn’t know how the airplane, which had been sold to a Chinese company, ended up in North Korea with that country’s flag on its tail. A United Nations investigation found a different story in going through an email exchange between the company and the Chinese owner.

Investigators said the email string shows Pacific Aerospace clearly knew the airplane was in North Korea. It offered parts for the aircraft and training in their installation for the North Korean operators to be coordinated in China. The company faces fines of up to $100,000 and executives could face up to a year in prison and $10,000 in fines. It was prosecuted by Customs New Zealand for three breaches of United Nations Sanctions and one charge under the Customs and Excise Act and pleaded guilty to all the charges earlier this month. It’s not clear what the North Koreans are using the plane for but it’s commonly used to carry up to 17 skydivers.

I guess any sale was a good one for PAC!

On 8/29/2016 at 2:28 PM, BenediktDE said:

oops, I did not expect to ever read this:

(source: http://www.wonsanairfestival.com/whats-on/)
This sounds like the most exotic country to skydive! US Skydivers might have a harder time than anyone else.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

I didn’t have a problem, and they let us use our GoPros