samdiggy2

Isle of Wight active skydivers

Hello everyone

I'm a new member on the forums although have been reading articles and forums for about a year now. I have done a lot of research into skydiving by reading books, articles, and looking at photos and videos. I havent yet jumped solo and am planning to do my AFF next summer in the UK.

I live on the Isle of Wight so my nearest DZ is about 2 and a half hours away at Netheravon. I will be able to travel up and jump most weekends so I can remain current and therefore a safer jumper.

My question is, is anybody here an active jumper living on the Isle of Wight, or does anybody know someone in that situation? If so, how often do you get to jump?

Cheers, and I hope to see some of you jumpers up in the sky next year!

PS - Feel free to give me abuse for being a whuffo and I also expect to spend a lot of money on beer when I become a new jumper haha!

Yeah it is, I did a tandem there last year. They only operate about 10 days per year, as the LZ is too small for students.

I actually did a trial weekend at GoSkydive in Salisbury and was offered an apprenticeship to learn all about the sport with the intention of becoming a tandem camera flyer then eventually a TI there, but turned it down because of financial reasons (really regret my decision to turn it down!) - but yeah it seems Nethers is the closest DZ to me to offer to train students solo.

Thanks for the reply anyway :)

Unfortunately not. If they did i'd hope i was A-licensed by now haha!

There is an airport 15 minutes from me that started offering tandems on about 10 days a year, and i did a tandem there last year. They dont offer an AFF or S/L course though- although I plan to do an AFF rather than a S/L course.