Aaron27

Skydive Santa Barbara - 18k solo requirements?

Last year I did my first tandem jumps and ever since it seems like I'm constantly being called back by some mysterious force. Case in point: earlier this January I headed out to Lompoc to watch SpaceX launch a rocket from the Vandenberg air base, (I'm a huge nerd lol).

Anyway, by complete random chance the hotel I stayed at just happened to be next door to skydive Santa Barbara. But what I thought was awesome is that they offer jumps from 18,000 feet. I really wanted to do a jump while I was there, but the weather sucked that day so I doubt they were even open.

I plan on going back for the next launch in July and will probably do a tandem since im not currently licensed, but eventually I'd love to be able to jump at 18k solo.

Do you need a specific license to jump from 18k? Or is it just a certain number of jumps? I know I'm getting ahead of myself being that I still need to complete AFF and get my A license long before doing of any special jumps like this, but just like doing a balloon jump it's something that I'd love to do eventually :)

From the sim http://sim.uspa.org/:

1. For intermediate-altitude jumps (15,000-20,000 feet MSL), participants should hold at least a USPA B license and have made 100 jumps.

2. For high-altitude jumps (20,000-40,000 feet MSL), participants should:

a. hold a USPA C license

b. have made at least one jump from 15,000 feet MSL or below using the same functioning bailout oxygen system

3. For extreme-altitude jumps (40,000 feet MSL and higher), participants should:

a. hold a USPA D license

b. have made at least two jumps from below 35,000 feet MSL using the same functioning bailout oxygen and pressure systems

I regularly jump at 15k, but that's standard at some of the DZ's I go to.

I think after you've done a few jumps, you'll realise that standard freefall altitudes are enjoyable enough for regular jumping. You're still jumping out of a plane, and the ground looks small.

The only plus of 18k is an extra 20s or so free-fall time. On the downside, there's a lot more prep time, briefing, oxygen supply, risk, $$$. I think you could probably make 3 or 4 regular jumps in the time it'd take to brief and do one 18k jump.