SatchFan

Too early to jump a 149?

> Well, keep in mind that if you do pull G's, your weight
> increases at the same time the front riser pressure does,
> so the riser pressure still won't exceed your weight (even
> though you may weigh twice what you normally do.)
Yeah, yeah.. let's be pedantic.. ;-)

I completely agree with you Bill. If people are going to do HP maneuvers (intentional of not) on HP canopies then they need to learn early in their career while on they're on larger canopies. This is why we need more professional training out there to teach people the correct way to approach HP maneuvers. People need to know how to fly their canopies no matter what level they're at.
Don't be scared that people will take this information and kill themselves with it. Instead be scared that people are killing their selves right now, because they don't have this information.
Justin Freeman

Remember, not only is the material smalle on one of those, the lines are also shorter, which results in quicker reactions. The omega is an eliptical canopy which makes it a little quicker still.
My experience at 35 jumps:
started the weekend jumping a 288 manta. Borrowed a 210, then a 190, then a 170, then a 150 sabre, then a broken ankle...luckily that was all it was. I didn't have the skills to be flying something that small yet. In my opinion, you'll have just as much fun under a 170 while you learn. You'll have plenty of time to downsize when you are more prepared. Be careful and good luck!

Depending on what kind of 170 it was (i.e. as long as it's not a Stiletto, and as long as it's either ZP or pretty new F111) yes.
No, it's not a Stiletto. It's a Sabre. I jumped it again this weekend and have been landing it really well. Every time I have jumped it I feel it has been easier because it has been in high winds. I want to be able to jump it in little or no wind to get used to the higher speeds.
"Death smiles upon everybody, all a man can do is smile back"
~Jason

i have a question bill
is there anywhere to find a graph (or other visual) on performance in relation to wingloading and size of canopy
i ask this because i have heard several people mention it here on previous occasions
for instance i will soon be transitioning from rental / student gear to my canopy. my canopy is a Tri 190 which i will load at just about 1.05 to 1 (which i fell very confident in doing)
it is my understanding that my 1.05 to 1 under a tri 190 is entirely more docile than say a 1.05 to 1 under a tri 135, isn't that true
can you shed a little light for me
hisgoofyness
"go ahead fun boy take your shot... you got me dead bang..."

>is there anywhere to find a graph (or other visual) on performance in relation
>to wingloading and size of canopy
I have heard this question a few times, and there is simply no way to quantify it. Do you think high performance means high speed, or fast turns, or long swoops? What does a performance of 80% mean? There's just no way to compare them absolutely, although you can certainly make comparisons (smaller canopies turn faster even at the same loading for example.)
>it is my understanding that my 1.05 to 1 under a tri 190 is entirely more docile
> than say a 1.05 to 1 under a tri 135, isn't that true
In general, yes - the 135 will "feel" higher performance than the 190, but again, it's hard to quantify. John LeBlanc gives a very interesting seminar on this very topic, and strenuosuly avoids giving any absolute comparisons (like a 135 at 1:1 is the same as a 190 at 1.2 to 1 or something.)

Here's John's seminar. http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/wingload.pdf
It's very enlightening and I subscribe to the conclusions. Because of less drag, shorter lines (shorter pendulum), etc. a similarly loaded canopy in the small version will seem more "high performance" than the bigger version. This why a lot of newbies on lightly loaded small "low performance" canopies are in over their head.

Satch im a little late in this post but, i started jumping a sonic 150 when i had 42 jumps i weigh 165-170 lbs. w/o gear and the smallest canopy i jumped besides that was a 220 raider.the first jump was scary, but i felt prepared for it and that is what its going to boil down to...Are you willing to take the risk of jumping that small of a canopy? do you feal comfortable downsizing so quickly...Just be carefull what every you do... dont give in to pressure and hook it :P

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man