ChrisDykstra

Bands or Tubestows

I'm just seeking a little feedback from people as to their preference for using rubber bands or tubestows on their D bags.

A friend told me on the weekend that tubestows account for nearly 7 out of 10 baglock mals in the states! I've been using tubestows since I got my gear and have since put around 50 jumps on it without any hassles.

I also had two rubber bands as the first stows then tubestows the rest of the way around the bag.

I look forward to your comments!

I have tube stoes for my first 3 locking bands and the rest are all rubber bands...and I have had NO problems with that....alot of jumpers at our DZ mix them up and our RIGGER told us it wont hurt anything...I think its all a matter of opinion and use what works........but yes always contact the manufactor!!:S

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

You know I think Derek said this once.

How can the same product be so tight that it causes bag locks, yet be so loose it causes line dump.

I've used both, couldn't tell the difference, other than I haven't had to replace one yet in the last 100 jumps.
Fly it like you stole it!

A friend told me on the weekend that tubestows account for nearly 7 out of 10 baglock mals in the states!

I'd love to know exactly where that little "statistic" came from... If Tube Stoes were directly responsible (i.e. the packer did everything right) for that many mals, do you really think they'd still be available?

I've been using tube stows for the last 40 or so jumps, I've had one break and had no problems at all- They are easier on the fingers when packing- My .02, I think it's just a matter of preference, not much more-
C-ya!
-Lenny

Easy Does It

I personally dont like tube stows, local dz rigger pointed out to me that if you have a bag lock bands will break, however tube stows wont...that was enough for me..ughh i shouldnt have drank so much alone:S

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

when I was jumping a [email protected] (which opens slow) my lines (spectra) were pretty loose in tube stows (maybe line dump possible), and I never had any problems and it was easy to pack and they lasted a long time.:)
When I moved to Eliptical canopies at higher wingloadings (some spectra and mostly vectran lines) I switched to small rubber bands which I replace at or right before they break. Some of these canopies tend to open harder and good tight rubber bands help slow the lines coming off the bag, keeping tension between me and the pilot chute and therefore slowing me down slightly before the canopy comes out of the bag.

Basically if there is a problem I would prefer a rubber band to break.

Disclaimer: I have never tried to use tube stowes in a manner where they were very tight around the lines.
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

I use rubber bands, large for locking stows and small for rest on 825 microline. I lean toward rubber bands since I was jumping years before tube stows were out. I also subscribe to the idea that rubber bands have higher friction and more surface area. One thing I observed about tube stows. A customer brought me his rig for reserve service. It was in the winter and his rig had been in his car for a while. When we pulled out his main the two black locking tube stows stayed stretched out and limp until they warmed up. Then they regained their elastisity and shrunk back to normal size. So, when cold they essentially were putting no tension on the lines. That was enough, living in Michigan, to turn me off tube stows.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

i think the problems with tubestows causing bag locks are from people that don't have the proper sizes...they treat the tubes like rubberbands and double them...BAD move. They are designed in different sizes for a reason (i.e. different types of lines) I use tubestows and have had absolutely no problems with them. I even mix them with rubber bands. The secret is doing this evenly. For example, you don't want every other one to be different. My first 4 are tubes and the rest are rubber bands...no worries!

I have also been skydiving longer than tube stows have existed, but I have used them almost religiously since their introduction. Still, I like those new superbands too. I have no problem whatsoever mixing and matching and have done so every single time I "just don't have a tube stow laying around". Right now, I think I have a combination of all three (tube stows, superbands, small rubber bands) on my Odyssey. My regular XRS has superband and tube stow mix. No, I have never had a bag-lock in over 21 years skydiving.

Chuck