Keithor

anyone gone skydiving in Cuba?

I'm going in December to travel around for a month. Thinking about making a jump or few. I'd prefer not to bring my own gear, wondering if anyone has been and can say anything about their rental gear or if it's even worth jumping there.

Thanks

Hi mate, I've jumped in Cuba a good few times. There was one operation that used an AN-2, and jumped from Varadero and Holguin. The Holguin side of things closed up a few years ago- something to do with a (non skydiving related) ultra lite incident.
I don't know if the Varadero side is still going, and can't really help you try and get hold of them. I reckon the best bet would be to call the hotel and see if they know if the guys are still around on the beach drumming up business while jumping. The Varadero hotels are all in a line on a strip which has security at the beginning of it- it's pretty likely the hotel will know if it happens or not. The airfield btw is close by too.
It was a great place to jump though, and I hope they're still going. They had some rental kit too- Javelins with a few canopy sizes too. It's a 1/2 jump a day place as you might expect- the aircraft delivered papers too! Let me know how you get on, I'd like to know :)

My buddy went to Cuba a few weeks ago and jumped at Varadero.

He hired kit which he was happy with and although a lower experience jumper with 350-400 jumps he made a couple of jumps over a few days.

I believe they only operate to 10,000ft AGL (same as ASL at this dz) and only when they have tandems book in so sporadic.

No aerial photo, they didn't care where he landed and they went to pick him up when he intentionally made a beach landing on jump 2 after sensibly landing on dz on jump one.

I can put you in contact with him if you wish?

contact me on [email protected]
Fordy