Mleadley

Spain / Algarve Boogies for a newbie?

Hey

So ive decided its either skydive spain or skydive Algarve that I will venture too this xmas as a way to keep jumping.

Ive noticed both of these have boogies going on around xmas time which is appealing to me coz I will have that time off work and my DZ is shut.

My question is will I be too inexperienced to partake in a boogie? I am just finishing off my consols now before applying for my A license. So by that time I would hope to have around 25 - 30 jumps.

Is this enough? Im not really sure what generally happens at a boogie.

Thanks

My first boogie was at Empuriabrava, Spain. I had 31 jumps and the ink was still wet on my license. I had done AFF at a single-Cessna dropzone followed by consols at a single-turbine dropzone. I show up to see hundreds of jumpers and four planes running (2 Twin Otters & 2 Pilatus). It was a “big” step up.

Know that you are a beginner and be careful to not get caught up in the excitement and exceed your skill level. Often, you will see new jumpers complain that they don’t get invited by others on the good jumps. At a big boogie, (it will be the opposite) you will probably get invited on many jumps that exceed your present level. Thank them and say “I’d love to too, but I only have X number of jumps”.

Also there is no amount of tunnel time that prepares you for being under canopy or in the landing area with 40 other people at once.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I've been out to a few Algarve Boogies this year with 25-150 jumps.

There are lots of low-jump people, as they run AFF courses out there.

You can really build your numbers, 10+ a day, and there's plenty going on, but most of the organised groups are FF or tracking (200 jumps min). So you'll probably mainly be doing solos.

Coaching is around £30 + coach slot as opposed to just the coach slot at most UK DZs, so you're probably best leaving that to the UK.

Planes are fast - 10mins to 14k.

Weather can be hit or miss in Winter, but same everywhere in EU.

If you're happy with the above - go for it.