pralines

Israel

Hi there,

has anyone ever travelled to Israel with a rig (with a Cypres)? I will be in Israel for half a year and I would like to go skydiving there in Beer Sheva (Skykef). But I am worried about the strict security at the airport.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Hi

I'm from Israel and would happily help out here or on pm.

I have flown in and out of Israel with gear dozens of times over the last 7 years. I have never had any complications related to my gear except one time. I check my gear usually, but also sometimes carry it on. I have never carried my gear on into or out of israel though, not intentionally, just never did.

My only issue was one time flying into Israel, checking my gear and flying elal, the national Israeli airline, which has more stringent screening and security. I forgot my hook knife on the rig and they saw it on the xray and wanted me to take it out of my luggage, but also didn't want me to carry it with me. They ended up handing it to the staff and I got it back after landing. I usually carry it on without issue though.

That's all I've got on this, no serious problems. Travel with your cypress card on you. Have fun!

Many thanks! :)

Is there a special reason why you usually check your gear?

I don't really want to leave it out of my sight... I am worried that my luggage gets lost and there is also something like the "chain of trust". I want to know exactly what happens to it at all times to make sure that nobody tampers with it. I still have to contact the airline though to make sure that I am allowed to have my rig as a carry on.

But good that you remind me of the hook knife! Wouldn't have thought about that at all. I will put it into my checked luggage to make sure that it won't cause any troubles.

Okey, my friend can't post here for some reason, but he says he always carries the rig on with him too, and his only issue ever was flying into Israel from Rome, but it was with the Italian equivalent of the TSA and the cypress card fixed it, nothing to do with Israel.

Hi!

I've flown from (and to) Israel twice so far with my rig.

Once to Italy via Moscow (with Aeroflot), and once to Czech Republic (don't remember which airline).

I took my rig with me on the plane both times (with Cypres, without the hook knife), and had no issues with it.

I always carry the Cypres x-ray card with me, just in case :)

Also, I used a RigSleeve the last time, which makes the rig slightly less conspicuous when carrying around, though it obviously does nothing with x-ray scans.

Hi,

Sorry that it took me so long to get back to you and many, many thanks for the helpful posts!

One more question regarding dropzones in Israel (Skykef in particular)
It is really hard to get hold of them (have tried it via email and facebook so far but no reaction). How strict are they with visiting jumpers? With paperwork and so on? Is there anything in particular that I should know of?

Thanks again!

I've never tried contacting them in any way, so I don't know about that.

I'd make sure to have a valid license and medical exam, that should make you good to go, though I don't know if they have any extra requirements from non-israeli skydiving members...