Eddles

Skydive in Cuba

Hi all,

My wife and I are going to Cuba next month, and I have found the sole Cuba DZ to be at Varadero. I'm considering visiting and doing a few lobs - can I just turn up on the day? Or should I contact them? Are they open Mon-Sun or weekends only? Where could I find any other info please?

Many thanks!

Eh, Check out their Skydive Varadero website and contact via email about your visit plus credentials! Bring a passport for take off and landing, a FAI recognized license and ensure the highest regard to their 22yr safety legacy. DZ landings, first and If you have shown a heads up attention to international basic safety regulations thus a predictable landing, they may allow you to do a beach landing at your resort!;)
They are very friendly and down to earth like friends on the first hand shake. Bring skydive stickers, old gear, skydive t-shitrs and generosity for their culture. Eutimo (Tim) is solid at speaking and translating english! They love beer, too! So your First Cuba jump, or beach landing.....

Check your ego at the door. Stay humble.

How was your Cuba Skydiving experience? Any suggestions?

I'm hoping to connect with Eutimio Pérez Barrera while staying across the street from the Varadero, Cuba DZ for a week next month. The hope is to grab a jump slot whenever either the plane or helicopter flies a load. Where else can one jump Russian military surplus aircraft for fun jumps?!!

Skydiving in Cuba was AMAZING! Fantastic experience! A word of warning, when I was there, they only did one lift for the entire day of Saturday, and none on Sunday, even though they were fully staffed (about 20 staff in total) twiddling their thumbs. It was due to very few tandem passengers buying jump tickets and they rely heavily on tandem income. So I only did one jump the entire weekend. It was very well worth it though. As I jumped solo and was the last person out, the JM followed me out, filmed me and we played in the air. If I jumped on Sunday, they'd have let me land on the beach. The people there are fantastic, so incredibly friendly, made me feel as if I was a long-time jumper there. On Saturday evening, the CCI gathered everyone in his office, using my beer fine, gave everyone a can of beer and everyone toasted my first day at the DZ and stayed to chat with me for a while. Amazing. Wonderful friendly & welcoming people, completely typical of Cubans.

They are also chilled as fuck like Cubans are, we took off 2 hours after the scheduled time not because of delays, but because they took their time. I had to really chase up for the DZ brief - I was only shown where to land literally 2 minutes before take-off! 1 1/2 hours before actual take-off, 30 minutes after the scheduled take off - "Can I have the DZ brief please?" "Yeah yeah, will do it later, chill bud, here you go, have a can of drink". 1/2 hours before actual take-off, "DZ brief?" "Plenty of time, don't worry". And so on until 2 minutes before take-off "Hello? Anyone?" "Oh bugger, oh just follow me, I'll show you where to land". I had absolutely no concern about safety though, they were very thorough with my paperwork and asked lots of questions to establish my experience - I had the opposite experience at some foreign DZs! To my surprise some people there had tens of thousands jumps each, very experienced.

I'd recommend calling them for a chat, and I *highly* recommend jumping there - they're now one of my favourite DZs.

The only downside was the beer fine was absolutely mandatory and had to be paid along with the jump ticket, believe it was 20 CUC (USD 20) but was well worth it, trust me, the best beer fine I've ever paid! The AN-2 wasn't there unfortunately, but the MI-8 was a fun experience!

Based on early feedback on this forum, I really didn't expect much fun-jumping activity at this dropzone. Showed up mid-day on my first day in Cuba and got three jumps in from the Antonov-2 before the beer started flowing at sundown!! Awesome time! My first 2 jumps were beach-landings before they felt I was ready for an airport/DZ landing :)

I showed up solo and ended up jumping with a Venezuelan, a fellow Canadian, and a Cuban. Can you say 4-way?! :)

So highly recommend this DZ as a travel destination!!!