Starx

Biggest midwest dropzones?

In about a month I'll be roadtriping from the west coast to the east. I'd like to stop somewhere in the middle for a day of jumping, any suggestions where? It'll probably be middle of the week, so I'd like a place big enough that there will still be folks to jump with.

At the moment I'm thinking skydive chicago but I want to be sure I haven't overlooked any other gems. My only location qualifications are that on the east-west scale it's middle-ish to break up the driving and on the north-south scale it's middle to north (too far south is out of my way, so no spaceland for me).

Skydive Chicago and Chicagoland Skydiving Center (CSC) are both large, great DZs with huge landing zones, lots of people, good food, and are a blast. Both are an hour or two from O'hare.

You also have Skydive Milwaukee and Skydive Midwest about an hour to hour and a half from O'hare. They're both smaller than SDC and CSC with an Otter and a PAC respectively but with a good fun jumper crowd. Milwaukee and Midwest usually are only jumping the afternoons during the week and, obviously, all weekend. I'm a SkyKnight and jump at Skydive Milwaukee.

It's nice because sometimes you get weathered out at one but the weather is great at another. If you have an iPhone the "Jumpability" app by a guy named Kent is usually pretty good.

Check the dates as there are always organizers, competitions, events, boogies, and all sorts of stuff going on. We have to take advantage of summer while we can!

Have fun!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

If you are anywhere near mid Ohio during the week, start Skydiving has a $18 special to 13K for fun jumpers on Wednesdays. That day is pretty popular. Every other weekday they have one or two caravans running with mostly tandems and a couple fun jumpers. Sometimes they close on Mondays to give the staff a day off.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

If you are Road trippin' and take I-70 through Missouir/Kansas/Colorado, then I would recommend hitting up Skydive KC - Smaller King Air DZ, great vibe. Depends on how you plan on going across country, however. If you are going to be further North, then Skydive Chicago and Chicagoland are definitely places to hit up.
=========Shaun ==========

Skydive Twin Cities just east of Minneapolis/St. Paul off I-94 in Baldwin, WI. Open everyday with load organizing on Weds, Thurs, Sat, Sun. Lots of fun jumpers, great people, and some of the nicest green grass landing fields you'll find anywhere.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."