Hamsori

Need some good advice and ideas for Hawaii and west coast skydive trip

Hey there!

I'm planning a trip to San Fransisco for the Super Bowl with a couple of friends...
Going to Hawaii about one or two weeks prior, with plans to skydive.

Is the Skydive Hawaii on O'ahu the DZ to go to?
Is there some kind of bunkhouse or other accommodation there? (Price?)
Do I need to be a member of USPA?

Any good ideas for the trip? Advice?

Don't know what the camping situation is at the DZ's these days, but if you're looking for lower-cost accommodations, "Backpackers" (http://backpackershawaii.com) up the highway is a good choice. It's about a 20-minute drive to the airport.

As far as which company (Skydive Hawaii or Pacific Skydiving), I'd try either or both (they're right next door to each other) if I were you and see which one you like better... at the same time, trying to stay out of their ridiculous feud.

You can camp straight across the street from the DZ for 10.00 a night.
You cannot camp on the DZ, the airport authority forbids it.

Skydive Hawaii will not take you without a D license, a sponsor at the DZ that knows you, or 1000 jump minimum (choose one).

Pacific will take you, but it's not a place I'll jump. Then again, I have a D, more than 1000 jumps, and people there that know me. ;)

Skydive Hawaii is strictly a tandem factory unless your relative works for the DZ..

There is a huge Hatfields and McCoys thing going on there between the two DZs so everyone has to follow all requirements (i.e.: AAD, USPA card, cloud clearances, etc.). They literally video the other DZ other watching for things to report to the FAA. Be sure you know everything you need to jump there or you may be disappointed.

The place is great to jump (one of the best views you will ever get skydiving), however the winds shut down everything by noon or 1pm so you have to get there at the open if you want to get in a few jumps.

Bring hiking and snorkel gear - if the weather is bad for jumping at least you can do something else in the morning that is unusual..be sure to read/research if the trails are closed or you may get arrested.

Enjoy the trip
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

Great! Thanks for the responses...

So, for planning the trip, I'll prepare to spend the time also doing other stuff if (when) the winds are too high.
Would it be a good idea to rent a car, or how are good the local transports there?

Will get the USPA licence card and have the gear checked the previous month... Btw. Can my gear be checked and reserve packed by a Finnish rigger, or should it be a US-rigger?

-Marko